Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Jun 2011 at 4:23 AM
Default Question for TS3 players
So when TS3 came out I guess it's been almost 2 years now I didn't get it because I heard a bunch of bad things about it so I stuck wit TS2. Plus I was like this when TS2 came out. Took me forever to switch from TS1, but when I did I was alot happier. But I've been seeing alot hype about it lately seeing new ep and cc as well as challenges. So my question is: Is it time for me to finally switch over to TS3?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 6th Jun 2011 at 4:48 AM
The Sims 3 is very good. Open world, more features, excellent mods and modders are available, and plus a lot of expansion packs are out already. (Four to be exact). I personally love it. The Sims 2 is nice, and it has features the Sims 3 DOESN'T have, but I'm sure that in time, EA will give into our demands and re-insert them. In time my friends...in time.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 6th Jun 2011 at 4:51 AM
I could never, ever play Sims 2 without a ton of CC whereas I'm 95% happy playing Sims 3 without any CC. I could never go back to Sims 2 because I love the open world so much. I have to say the game is incredibly bugged and glitchy in a way Sims 2 never was for me. I never once had any issue with Sims 2 whereas I have nonstop issues with Sims 3 despite playing a vanilla game on a computer that more than exceeds requirements.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 6th Jun 2011 at 4:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by skyeiskewl
So my question is: Is it time for me to finally switch over to TS3?
If you can't make up your mind without a bunch of random people telling you what to do then the answer is no.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 6th Jun 2011 at 4:54 AM
It really depends on what your preference is.
There are some things in Sims 2 that are better, but there are things in Sims 3 that are better.

Comparison

Quoted from the Sims Wiki

In The Sims 3 expansion packs:

The Sims 2 expansion features in The Sims 3 base game:

Lost features:
These game features were found in The Sims 2 base game but not in The Sims 3.

Hope this helps you decide.

Read more about this Sims 3 here.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 6th Jun 2011 at 11:24 AM
Very very thorough comparisons. I like bullet points instead of a wall of text.

I just happen to drop in and see this and have to make a comment.

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
Instructor
#7 Old 6th Jun 2011 at 12:40 PM
Is your computer up to it? Unless you have a system that can play it well, you may want to wait a bit more.

Both games have their strengths and weaknesses, both games are fun, both games are different enough that I need both . But, because my system only has the minimum requirements for Sims 3, my Sims 2 community lots feel more lively, open and inviting than my Sims 3 world.
Test Subject
#8 Old 21st Jun 2011 at 8:56 PM
Um I wouldn't waste money on The Sims 3 if your already playing The Sims 2. The Sims 3 has better graphics, and birdfly listed all the new features, but the game really isn't any better in my opinion. I like The Sims 3 better, because thats the one I'm most used to, not because it's better than the sims 2. But hey if you like the new features then go for it.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 21st Jun 2011 at 9:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by esmesqualor
Is your computer up to it? Unless you have a system that can play it well, you may want to wait a bit more.

My laptop is a load a shite and sims runs smoothly Graphics suck though, but oh well.

You can find video previews of ALL my uploads on my YouTube Channel.
Keep updated, and follow me on Twitter! You´ll get the most recent news and goss when I´m making custom content!
---- Have Fun With My Uploads! ----
Scholar
#10 Old 21st Jun 2011 at 9:52 PM
I do find that graphics, even on the lowest (as I usually play on) is better then sims 2. I've played both extensively, both vanilla, and even without all the expansions I just like sims 3 better.

Do you know anybody with sims 3? I would find a way to try out the game before buying it, as it's more expensive then the sims 2.
Forum Resident
#11 Old 21st Jun 2011 at 10:54 PM
My computer doesn't even officially meet the minimum specs and it runs the game fine. I think EA were a little convervative with the specs to be honest. As long as you have a relatively modern dual core processor and a dedicated graphics card the game will run absolutely fine. I've even modded the games in built performance tester to make it think my processor is top of the line and it runs fine.

Severedsolo's Simcredible Mods ALL my mods, including ones that have not made it to MTS yet. LATEST ADDITION - SNEAKING OUT FIX FOR GENERATIONS

Please do not PM me asking for help. Use the Help section.
Theorist
#12 Old 21st Jun 2011 at 11:22 PM
I know someone who played Sims 1 through out Sims 2 and just made the jump to Sims 3. She's loving it and hasn't looked back. I know I can't go back to Sims 2 because for me, Sims 3's open neighbourhood and universal aging was a huge plus. Overall it's a whole lot better than Sims 2 IMHO although a few people will disagree with me. What counts is.. I like it and I'm definitely staying.. at least until Sims 4 comes out A lot of people here have given their opinions but in the end it's up to you. Whatever you decide, good luck and happy simming

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Field Researcher
#13 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 1:18 AM
It took me a long time before I started playing the Sims 3 (started in October of last year). Partly because of what you mentioned, and partly because my old computer was fried and I used a netbook for some time so I couldn't play any of the Sims games, heh. After having played with Sims 3 I would personally recommend that you don't "switch", but instead, play both (or at least keep your Sims 2 games) if you can. But that's just my personal opinion. I agree with lisfyre - everyone has their own subjective experiences and it's ultimately up to you. Birdyfly has posted some very helpful information above regarding the game so you can get a better picture and decide for yourself. Good luck!
Scholar
#14 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 1:59 AM
Might as well give it a try. Perhaps get it when it's on sell for $29.99. (That's when I got my copy! Although, I don't know if they do that anymore)

The thing about The Sims 3 is that it really isn't an everything-is-improved sequel, instead it's a bit of a downgrade in some areas, but it is a lot better in others. Just keep your expectations low. For some people the flaws don't matter to them at all.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Field Researcher
#15 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 12:24 PM
If you post this in the TS3 forum, of course more people are going to say yes. If you post in the TS2 forum, more people will say no.

I personally like TS3 better.

I'm cooler than cool! I'm stupid!
Alchemist
#16 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 1:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ani_
If you can't make up your mind without a bunch of random people telling you what to do then the answer is no.

Best answer on the thread
Theorist
#17 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 2:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Munchies
It took me a long time before I started playing the Sims 3 (started in October of last year). Partly because of what you mentioned, and partly because my old computer was fried and I used a netbook for some time so I couldn't play any of the Sims games, heh. After having played with Sims 3 I would personally recommend that you don't "switch", but instead, play both (or at least keep your Sims 2 games) if you can. But that's just my personal opinion. I agree with lisfyre - everyone has their own subjective experiences and it's ultimately up to you. Birdyfly has posted some very helpful information above regarding the game so you can get a better picture and decide for yourself. Good luck!

Actually, we got TS3 on launch day (hubby plays as well... he introduced me to the game after I swore for years I would NEVER ever play it) and he just jumped right into TS3 without looking back. He still has Sims 2 on his computer but he's never fired it up since he's installed TS3. I, on the other hand, wouldn't even install TS3 for all of 3 days. Then I installed it after watching him play. I was going to wait until I had seen all the review and bugs/glitches addressed and a patch until I installed it.

I kept my Sims 2 on my computer and played both for months. One day I realized that I was playing Sims 3 more than Sims 2 and gradually it got to be less than once a month. I waited at least a year into Sims 3 before I officially uninstalled Sims 2. That was a painful day for me but I haven't looked back since. Mind you, I put all my Sims 2 downloaded CC on my external hard drive... just in case And up to about 6 months or so ago, I would download recolours I had meshes for and threw them in that folder. That's the one other big thing about Sims 3, 1 mesh, virtually any recolour/texture you can think of on the fly thanks to CASt. No more 100 bazillion recolours to clutter up your game.

OK sorry for the long post but there you are.. another 2 simoleons from me Good luck and happy simming

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Test Subject
#18 Old 22nd Jun 2011 at 2:19 PM
Try out the 60 minute demo on the official site here http://www.thesims3.com/trial, no need to downoad the game as its all streamed. Should give you an accurate answer as to whether you want to opt for TS3 now.