Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Jun 2011 at 1:11 PM
Default More expansion = more bugs
I'm feeling like if there's more expansion more bugs are produced unless there are some patch that would fix them but if a new expansion come more bugs would come more. Anyone agree with this?
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 13th Jun 2011 at 1:18 PM
When you're dealing with a big, complicated game being worked on by dozens of people, it's inevitable that there will be bugs - especially when you're dealing with a large company that has people coming and going regularly so the folks who may have done the base game may not be the same ones working on the current expansions. I wish they would fix larger bugs a little more promptly (like the dropping mood thing) but it is not at all surprising that new releases mean more bugs, that are then fixed in a patch. That's sort of how any software works, and I wouldn't say the Sims series is terribly buggy compared to the other stuff on the market today. Hell, there's other games I play that, if you install one EP, there's a bug that's -never- been fixed even though the game's been out for 5+ years... and there isn't enough of a modding community to fix it themselves.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Scholar
#3 Old 13th Jun 2011 at 1:51 PM
Yeah it's annoying. Every new EP breaks things, while not fixing things broken with the last EP. I think most "simmers" have come to expect this dynamic and just live with it, since the new features of every EP breathe some small bit of new life into a game that does get old.
Instructor
#4 Old 13th Jun 2011 at 2:21 PM
My feeeling is they were aware of the bugs and simply released it anyway. If they had done any playtesting at all the buggy stroller, the no jealousy award and all the other broken things would be apparent. So a: didnt test it. or b. didn't care.

Either way, EA dropped the ball wtih generations which introduces a ton of new interractions which demand better testing than say just a ton of new objects.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 13th Jun 2011 at 3:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SimsLover50
My feeeling is they were aware of the bugs and simply released it anyway. If they had done any playtesting at all the buggy stroller, the no jealousy award and all the other broken things would be apparent. So a: didnt test it. or b. didn't care.

Either way, EA dropped the ball wtih generations which introduces a ton of new interractions which demand better testing than say just a ton of new objects.

Im gonna go with number 2, its my firm belief that EA doesn't even care anymore because they know people will buy the games anyways. Perfect example is Sims 3, plus they have people who fix the bugs online (modders, save console games) for free. I mean they have a track record of not really doing anything new, or doing the same old thing over again because they don't really need to compete in any of their big markets. Case and point, madden, as soon as the NFL liscense was aqquired Madden became each year just a updated roster and some new mechanics, sure new modes were added, but if you paid careful attention, they usually were something taken out a year or two before and placed back in with a different name.

They also have a track record for milking the crap out of anything that is hot right at the moment, again even if their version is crappy, same case and point, madden, also the skate series (Which has gotten good since its technically the only of its kind), the fight night series, Ea MMA (There is a backstory on this on how the owner of the UFC approached them to do a UFC game and they declined because they didn't find UFC a viable or real sport, so THQ does it and makes alot and guess what, now EA is interested and puts out their own crappy game?? No thanks) Medal of Honor is now just a bad Call of Duty Clone, and Bad Company is at least worth mentioning as half good. Crysis 2 was pushed out with a lot of bugs and the same from deadspace 2 I hear as well.

Frankly its disgusting and appaling that a company couldn't give two cares about their final product, but its all about pushing it out to the masses so they can maximize profit. Now look at games that companies have nurtured and loved either because A) they've always cared or B) they have tons of competition, in the case of Atari and Rollercoaster tycoon 3 it was a. They released plenty of patches with each expansion to turn the game into something quite very playable without many bugs that I even notice.

Yet, I still managed to buy madden every year and Sims 3 and all the expansions recently (It IS one of a kind though ) so I guess I am a sucker. Oh well to each his own /End Rant
Instructor
#6 Old 13th Jun 2011 at 4:28 PM
Yea. I think it would be impossible to put out the game without seeing things like this were broken. It is very sloppy.
Test Subject
#7 Old 14th Jun 2011 at 5:36 AM
well it IS a game from EA so to expect anyting more then buggy untested sloppy crud is barking at the moon glass licking insane
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 15th Jun 2011 at 10:11 PM
"barking-at-the-moon-glass-licking-insane". my new favourite quotation. *snorts* hilarious.

. . . because sometimes being a bitch is all a woman has to hang onto.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 15th Jun 2011 at 10:53 PM
The thing every one needs to understand is that EA is a business, not a charity. EA only does what is right in order to continue their positive profit margin. This in fact is what any business would do. Whether it's a software business or a transportation business, profit is what matters. Without a positive profit margin a business cannot continue to even develop these products you all seem to dislike so much, businesses cannot continue to provide any services to their customers. While a new EP and their related patches do break things which were never broken before, I believe EA knows this. In fact EA will intentionally release a bug-infested product as long as they make a profit from it and continue producing more bug-infested products so they can then increase their profits. It's a vicious cycle which never ends, and unfortunately we are the guinea pig for their experiments.
Instructor
#10 Old 15th Jun 2011 at 11:42 PM
More often than not. The game IS test played, but only with the base game and said expansion/stuff pack installed. They don't test with the entire series installed.

I am an Angel who has tamed the Dragon. For I am NOT crunchy, NOR good with ketchup!
Field Researcher
#11 Old 16th Jun 2011 at 7:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
The thing every one needs to understand is that EA is a business, not a charity. EA only does what is right in order to continue their positive profit margin. This in fact is what any business would do. Whether it's a software business or a transportation business, profit is what matters. Without a positive profit margin a business cannot continue to even develop these products you all seem to dislike so much, businesses cannot continue to provide any services to their customers. While a new EP and their related patches do break things which were never broken before, I believe EA knows this. In fact EA will intentionally release a bug-infested product as long as they make a profit from it and continue producing more bug-infested products so they can then increase their profits. It's a vicious cycle which never ends, and unfortunately we are the guinea pig for their experiments.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment of your post, I must say that if this is the case and the company are so arrogant as to believe that loss of reputation from continual production of shoddy products, poor aftercare etc will not eventually erode the profit margin then they are living in a fantasy world. With each release of a faulty product and negative reviews from customers they will lose both existing customers and potential customers, over a period of time if they dont mend their ways this will become more noticable until they have one of two choices:
1 More frequent shoddy releases to maintain their profit margin which will increase their workload and overheads whilst simultaenously damaging reputation leading to a vicious circle that cannot be sustained.
or
2 Review their business practises, realise that without customers there is no bottom line and implement new practises to regain reputation and customer loyalty. Cross their fingers and hope they haven't left it too late.
No business/ company is immune from the wrath of its customers how many people do you know/ have seen on here that say they are done with the sims series. Yes sure some of that is bluster and anger when things continually go wrong and a simmer is having a bad day but some of it has to be genuine.
People invest a lot of free time in their sims/ other computer games but when they are continually losing sims or glitches make their game unplayable etc the game becomes an exercise in frustration and self restraint, not what most want from their free time. Inevitably some will think (if not most) whats the point of turning it on if I am likely to end up frustrated I'll find something else to do/ play that is more enjoyable.

I want to punch Chris Steel in the face!
Instructor
#12 Old 18th Jun 2011 at 1:46 AM
The things that annoy me are the fricking spelling mistakes! I've already found one in Generations ('hygene' instead of 'hygiene' in the description for the 'Motive Mobile' LTR) and I've only been playing it for an hour or so! There's also a word missing in the description for the 'Rebellious' trait, but I can't remember exactly what it was.

The awkward moment when a fourteen-year-old can spell better than EA...

Call me Abi if you want, it's easier to type than my username!
Test Subject
#13 Old 20th Jun 2011 at 12:39 AM
I have a question. I recently got Generations and now all my sims can do with each other is scare, give flowers, give gift, and pillow fight. And none of them work except for scare. The only mods I have are Master Controller and Woohooer. I need help!
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 20th Jun 2011 at 12:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Iamcute
I have a question. I recently got Generations and now all my sims can do with each other is scare, give flowers, give gift, and pillow fight. And none of them work except for scare. The only mods I have are Master Controller and Woohooer. I need help!

Are they the most updated versions? I had the same problem, and it was that the mods weren't updated. Twallan has updated versions for both up at his site, and if you don't have them, I would go ahead and install them. If that doesn't fix it then try uninstalling and reinstalling Generations.
Instructor
#15 Old 20th Jun 2011 at 6:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AngelicScot
More often than not. The game IS test played, but only with the base game and said expansion/stuff pack installed. They don't test with the entire series installed.

It is too bad they don't test it with most of the expansions installed. Since Sims is a very stackable game, and quite a few players will be playing it this way.

But now I can see why their new Relationship control panel torpedoed no jealousy. They only tested it with the base game.