Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Apr 2011 at 9:17 AM
Default Questions, questions, questions! (Clothing Mesh)
Hello everybody.

I'm working on my very first mesh, and true to my nature it's probably ridiculously impossible to accomplish, but I'm jumping in feet first. =P

I'm trying to create a new mesh from a skirt that is going to be created into a very long, belted strip of fabric running down the front and back, essentially so that the hips and thighs and legs are exposed. As I started on the base I realized it might be impossible, as isolating the legs revealed that...well, the legs stop at the thighs, there are no hips!

Question 1: Does the Sims essentially naked body frame appear beneath clothing, or am I going to wind up with a black hole where the skirt should cover the body?

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i...ighandskirt.jpg

Question 2: Mm...I have no idea how to solve this conundrum. All of the tutorials and comments I've read say that the exact same faces must be deleted on all 5 meshes if it's going to morph properly between the different states. I found the vertex that is incorrect, but I didn't delete any vertex in the Base morph, it was strictly done with faces. If I deleted the face associated with the vertex...obviously I'm left with a gaping hole. O.o What to do...what to do?

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i...tchedvertex.jpg

I might just have to scrap this idea and pick something less drastic, but I thought I'd give it a shot. Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated!
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 15th Apr 2011 at 9:20 AM
Question 1: No, the naked body does not appear beneath the clothing. A "clothing mesh" includes both the actual cloth parts as well as any exposed body. You'll need to chop in some hips from another mesh (like the nude body) for that to work.

Question 2: Kinda confused on that and what your pic is showing, but I'm pretty sure you can make morphs based on your regular body regardless of what you've changed.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Apr 2011 at 9:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
Question 1: No, the naked body does not appear beneath the clothing. A "clothing mesh" includes both the actual cloth parts as well as any exposed body. You'll need to chop in some hips from another mesh (like the nude body) for that to work.

Question 2: Kinda confused on that and what your pic is showing, but I'm pretty sure you can make morphs based on your regular body regardless of what you've changed.

Thanks for the quick response.

Eh, it's just the structure on the left is the "fat morph" with only 3 little dots, whereas the one on the right is the "Base morph", that has 4 dots. Every other place on the structure is exact to face and dot, but that one area. I just assumed it would cause a problem somewhere. =P
Sockpuppet
#4 Old 15th Apr 2011 at 10:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
You'll need to chop in some hips from another mesh (like the nude body) for that to work.

Unfortunate that aint possible, you can not combine parts of morphs into a new morph.

I think the easiest way is to clone the formaldress(afBodyDressTight_halter) wich has 2 meshgroups and set it as bottomonly.
Load the nude bottom into one meshgroup and use the front and backpart of a skirt in the 2nd meshgroup.
When working with CTU you need to renumber all vertID's in Milkshape(autonumtool) and build new sliderfiles with Bodymorphmaker.
TSRW will do this automaticly.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#5 Old 15th Apr 2011 at 12:43 PM
You can make new morphs after adding/deleting bits - it's just rather involved and a pain in the arse. It's one of the things I'll write a tutorial on, soon, soon...

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 16th Apr 2011 at 5:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
Unfortunate that aint possible, you can not combine parts of morphs into a new morph.

I think the easiest way is to clone the formaldress(afBodyDressTight_halter) wich has 2 meshgroups and set it as bottomonly.
Load the nude bottom into one meshgroup and use the front and backpart of a skirt in the 2nd meshgroup.
When working with CTU you need to renumber all vertID's in Milkshape(autonumtool) and build new sliderfiles with Bodymorphmaker.
TSRW will do this automaticly.

Ok, so I scrap the original piece, clone "Formaldress", set it to a bottom so it doesn't show as a dress. Separate the two groups it's automatically cloned as, isolate the hips down as the first part of the mesh, and the skirt as the second, think I got that. I have no idea what you said after that, but as long as I use TSRW instead of CTU I can ignore it? Lol, I hope I got the gist of that! Thank you so much for a new idea on how to approach this.

@Whiterider: A tutorial on how to graph skin beneath clothing would be lovely! I spent all hours of the early morning trying to find ANYTHING about adding hips in under clothing, I came up with a whole bunch of Sims 2 stuff, nothing for the Sims 3.
Sockpuppet
#7 Old 16th Apr 2011 at 9:05 AM
no, first clone the nude bottom with TSRW and extract the 3 lods(detail meshes)
Then clone a skirt that you can edit for the front and back part, extract those meshes also.

Import both meshes(high detail bottom and high detail skirt) in Milkshape
Delete the hips, legs and innerside of the skirt mesh(and morphs) and scale them a bit so they fit the nude bottom(and its morphs)
When done you have to move the skirt uvcoordinates on the uvmap so that they wont interfear with the nude bottom textures.(you only have to do that for the base mesh)
Delete all the bottoms and export the skirt parts.

Clone the fullbodydress
Import the untouched nude bottom in one meshgroup and load the skirtparts int he 2nd meshgroup

When you got the hang of it you can repeat the same steps for the lower detail meshes.