Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Sep 2011 at 9:55 PM
HELP (Sort of!)
My parents don't want be to buy Sims 3. My Mum says I have spent to much on the Sims

(only about £200! ) and my Dad says NO Sims is silly and if I want Pets

just go outside! I really need help as I really want to get Limited Edition!

Any ideas?

P.s They don't care about the Woohoo. :D
Advertisement
Eminence Grise
#2 Old 8th Sep 2011 at 10:40 PM
Do you happen to be under 13?
Test Subject
#3 Old 8th Sep 2011 at 11:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
Do you happen to be under 13?

but I'll be a little less subtle and flat out say it: If you want something, get a job, get money and buy it yourself.

Hell, even if you are younger, try pitching in around the house for an allowance. Mow neighbor's yards for some cashish. Sell some junk on eBay. If you are hoping that someone on the forums is going to offer to buy it for you, you are crazy.

If your parents aren't going to get it for you, and you don't have any money or aren't willing to actually earn it yourself, then I'm sorry you are out of luck.

Pardon me for being a bit of a douche, seeing as I'll probably get some disagreements on my post, but the answer to your question is pretty blatantly obvious.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 8th Sep 2011 at 11:27 PM
I agree with EjdSmith. Also, GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY!

*simsample is old*
Eminence Grise
#5 Old 9th Sep 2011 at 12:12 AM
And get off our lawn you forgot that part!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 9th Sep 2011 at 5:54 PM
I have the money! I love Sims and I'm over 13.
Scholar
#7 Old 9th Sep 2011 at 6:36 PM
If you're 13, I must be 80. My advice: I don't think you should be playing Sims right now.
Scholar
#8 Old 9th Sep 2011 at 7:04 PM
get part-time job?
help neighbors, babysit, everything for it....

Hey there! :)
Field Researcher
#9 Old 9th Sep 2011 at 7:13 PM
If you have the money what's to stop you from walking down to the shop and buying it anyway? If you're over 13 and your parents are still actively controlling how you spend your own money on things that are age appropriate then there's something wrong there.

Are you sure you're over 13?
Theorist
#10 Old 9th Sep 2011 at 8:06 PM
I don't know about you guys..But I know a load of 13 year olds that still get allowances etc..Even 17 year olds...

Anywho, if you have the money, via cash then go take the train or something into the city or w.e. and go to the game store..And if you have it via prepaid, debit, or w.e. the heck you may have, then go to amazon.co.uk, and pre-order it via Amazon !
Mad Poster
#11 Old 9th Sep 2011 at 8:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Alliteration
If you have the money what's to stop you from walking down to the shop and buying it anyway? If you're over 13 and your parents are still actively controlling how you spend your own money on things that are age appropriate then there's something wrong there.

Are you sure you're over 13?
Frankly, I think the respondents on this forum have been harsh.

There are many parents who do put stops on spending by their kids even when it's the kid's own money. Parents have a right to do that. They are adults and are hopefully acting in the best interests of their children. I don't think it's fair to attack Shhh because of a family situation that she doesn't control and that is actually not uncommon.

Shhh...if your parents are saying no, right now, why not wait a while? The items in the collector's edition are probably not all that great anyway. If you wait, you should be able to find it for less (like on Amazon, for example), and by then your parents might feel that you've shown some self-control by not buying it right away. You might also calmly discuss with your parents what you feel is so special about this expansion pack and what it will add to your game play. And speaking of calming discussing - this is the best way to get your parents' attention. You might also ask why they object so much to the latest expansion. Maybe they are worried about how much you spend in money or in time. See if you can work some sort of a deal with them where you agree to save so much money or limit your computer time in exchange for being allowed to get the game.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Forum Resident
#12 Old 9th Sep 2011 at 8:50 PM
VerDeTerre, actually the respondents are saying exactly what should be stated.

If that is harsh to you.. Well I guess the people could have couched it in terms of, "So sorry about you troubles having say over your life."

It sucks when parents say no..

So hey if you have the money.. Why aren't you going out and buying it for yourself.

However coming on to public forum crying about the parents not buying sims is well is not going to get any one any sympathy.. Even if couched as though looking for advice.

The advice is a no brainer. Go out and earn the money.

If you have the money. Go buy it yourself when the game comes out.. It doesn't get any more basic than that.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 9th Sep 2011 at 9:17 PM
If you have the money. Go buy it yourself when the game comes out.. It doesn't get any more basic than that.[/QUOTE]

A few of the people on this forum have suggested that to Shhh even after Shhh pointed out that he/she has the money. Money is not the issue. Permission is. The advice being given is to disobey Shhh's parents. Shhh - I hope you are wise enough to recognize that is bad advice.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#14 Old 9th Sep 2011 at 9:27 PM
I gotta say - as a parent - that VerDeTerre's advice is what I would prefer my child to follow. If their parents think their child is spending too much time playing, then going out and buying it anyway and disobeying their parents will not be a good solution; it may end up with the game in-hand, but it won't help the parent-child relationship whatsoever and may cause a kerfuffle. Better would be to sit down and maturely explain why tey want the game, and ask what sort of things they would need to do to make that happen. Most parents would be impressed with a child who is willing to obey but would like to come to some mutually-beneficial understanding that gets both parent and child what they want - especially if it can be done in a calm way. Hell, I'd much rather my kid be playing sims than many things that kids that age might be doing like getting into trouble.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
dodgy builder
#15 Old 9th Sep 2011 at 9:39 PM
If her father says the game is silly, go buy yourself a bloody gore game and see what your father thinks about that
Alchemist
#16 Old 9th Sep 2011 at 10:20 PM
Being in a particularly irritable mood, this comes to mind:

You and your buddies could 'go outside' and collect a LOT of 'pets'... like dozens of mice. A few stray cats, things like that. Imagine how great it would be to take up carpentry, too, to house these creatures. Nothing like being industrious. Why, you could likely even find tons of old boards to make your cages with.
This is *not* advice, and would *not* have a good outcome if tried, most assuredly.
But... I was thinking of 'real' pets and... it IS being outside. (Screw the ozone layer, ahoy!)
Test Subject
#17 Old 10th Sep 2011 at 12:40 AM
you're sure you're over 13 years old (one year defined by 365 days....1 day defined by 24 hours)

I've had 3 teenagers...well technically i still have them...only 1 is still a teenager. The only time they asked to buy anything with their own money was when they were unsure about one of two things

1) it wasn't allowed

2) it wasn't a "good deal" (jeans for 185 dollars...not a good deal)

your parents have a reason or a set of reasons as to why they are prohibiting you from owning an expansion pack. Respectfully request those reasons if they are in the habit of explaining their position on this issue. (in my house it is...but in my parent's house it was NOT ok to ask why)

listen to their explanation if it's given...and respond in a respectful lucid manner...make your case...respectfully...they are your parents...they do feed you (don't they?...for free right?)

if they are firm on their reasons you're just out of luck...if not...then make concessions and attempt to find a compromise. or wait until you're of an age to have:

your own computer
your own games
your own internet
your own electricity
your own dwelling

paid for with

your own money

if at this time they still forbid you to have the game...you can respectfully disagree
Forum Resident
#18 Old 10th Sep 2011 at 1:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
If you have the money. Go buy it yourself when the game comes out.. It doesn't get any more basic than that.

A few of the people on this forum have suggested that to Shhh even after Shhh pointed out that he/she has the money. Money is not the issue. Permission is. The advice being given is to disobey Shhh's parents. Shhh - I hope you are wise enough to recognize that is bad advice.[/QUOTE]

I have to be honest here.. As kid, many, many a moon ago, if my parents told me no.. And I had the money to buy my hearts desire.. There was very little that would stop me from buying it..

*shrugs*

Though what I think might be the real issue is that the computer where the game is installed is on a family computer.. The parents may be looking at HD that is not going to hold every one stuff. And a game that has yet another expansion may make shss parents say, no.

How ever if the child wants the next expansion.. Go buy a laptop or tower... Work for what you want in life.. I did.. I spent many a summer cutting grass, weeding gardens, ect.

Bought my first Raleigh ten speed bike after my parents told me no.. As it was to expensive.. It was $700.00 of my money. I was 15 at the time. When I was 14 I wanted a an expensive fishing pole plus line and reel.. I worked for the money and bought it over the objections of my parents.. That was a $900.00 of my money.

Translation is this.. A youngster wants something bad enough.. He or she will go and make it happen. The difference is this. If it is a HD issue.. Go buy a comp for yourself.

But understand that your parents may not spring for the internet connection either.. And there could be repercussions as well.. Such as a higher expectation of being a lot more mature and responsible for yourself. And less dependent on expecting either mom or dad to buy you anything.

I started my first lawn/snow removal business that way.. Worked it right up till I graduated HS. After HS is a different lesson on why while in boot camp you do not severely sprain your kneecap in 1982 and limp for the next 30 years because knee injuries were not as well understood then

Again to come on to a public forum to cry about parents saying no is not going to garner much sympathy from me. As I have always been the type that if I wanted a an expensive fishing pole, bike, or what ever.. I went out and made it happen. And yes I raised my daughter that way as well.. Though my son is an exception he is autistic and developmentally, if I am lucky, on a good day, might be 10..

So yes I disagree.. It is not bad advice..It is not advice at all.. It is a suggestion that should have been obvious from the start.

It is a suggestion that I offer to all young people. Warren Buffett actually started out in a similiar way. When he invested his sisters money with out telling his parents. Think about it. Today the third richest man in the world. If either of his parents had realized that young Warren had done in a depression era market.. What would you have done.

Though it is an apples to oranges comparison.. Warren Buffet was always interested in how to make money and how it worked.. And this young person just wants a game expansion. But from such things do come opportunities to expand past a goal. To perhaps starting a business to fund a passion. It would not be a first time.
Forum Resident
#19 Old 10th Sep 2011 at 2:46 AM
When I want something but can't buy it myself, I propose it as an early birthday/holiday present. It could be a Halloween present instead of trick or treating. Or an early Christmas present.

Life is moving too fast, I don't have the energy to keep up.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#20 Old 10th Sep 2011 at 5:28 PM
I have a laptop. I really hate to disobey my parents because they could easily take my laptop away. I think I'll ask for it for Christmas

Thanks for all of the less harsh suggestions ;D The game is for 12s and I am 13 not 12- .

Anyway thanks for the suggestions I'm going to attempt to get the game for Christmas.
Alchemist
#21 Old 10th Sep 2011 at 6:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Shhh
I have a laptop. I really hate to disobey my parents because they could easily take my laptop away. I think I'll ask for it for Christmas

Thanks for all of the less harsh suggestions ;D The game is for 12s and I am 13 not 12- .

Anyway thanks for the suggestions I'm going to attempt to get the game for Christmas.

Excellent choice. Congratulations on the mature, respectful response.