Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#26 Old 3rd Mar 2012 at 11:39 PM
Wow, I tax my Sims certainly but it is still possible to get ahead and build wealth in my hood. I'm not eager to have anyone sleeping on benches or going hungry, that's just a little too close to realism for me. My Sims shop at the owned shops in town for what goods are offered and my shop keepers tend to charge outrageous prices for things. There are also charges for events like weddings and funerals, since there isn't really a funeral function that is more of a death tax and there's a luxury tax. None of my sims are millionaires but most of them do live comfortably.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 5:13 AM
Another thing I do, if I have large families: As each child goes to college, buy up a bunch of stuff and put it in their inventory, and split up the money.

Who is Q? qanon.pub
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 6:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Julieryc
If familyfunds isn't an option, buying very expensive statues/paintings, placing them in inventory, and forgetting they exist works well. (Hopefully, it's not a VBT to have sims die with items in their inventory; otherwise, my 'hood would be horribly borked.)
As long as the items aren't urns or tombstones.

Source: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...Hood_Corruption

I usually just ignore how much money they have and play the family how I want to play them, knowing that if I do want them to buy something pricey, eat the most expensive meal at a restaurant, or stay at a fancy hotel on vacation, they'll have the funds available to do so.

*Susan*
Sims 3: Laura Bow, Lillian Prune, and Steve Dorian by me!
Scholar
#29 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 7:51 AM
In my case, the EPs took care of the excessive income.

For instance, OFB. I love playing shops, so most of my Sims own one or work in one. This closed my economy without much strain, because I play empty templates hoods, meaning that the only non-playables miling about my Sim hoods are there because I created them or, in the case of AL roomies or neighbors, allowed them to spawn. In an instant, the total amount of money circulating in my hoods is reduced by simply playing OFB to its full potential, and doing so without the endless customer base.

Then came Seasons. My Sims can, from then on, only buy food from my farmers or their distributors, and that food is more expensive. This, in addition, led to the rise in prices in all of my OFB stores. If a crate of eggplants (Paladin's hacked object) is around $700 for around 100 food units, then a formal dress can't be $200, right? Everything went up.

Freetime changed my economy in a completely unexpected manner. Suddenly my Sims wanted to chase bugs or make pottery or watch movies or what not and I decided that I like it that way - my Sims spending their time on fun activities. So I went on and reduced their weekly working hours, and in an instant I had less income per family. Simple as that. In order to run around tossing football, or collecting butterflies my Sims now work only four days in week. Everyone's happy about that, me the happiest. Hobbies also require some expensive equipment and offer new business opportunities, and there you have it: more economy turmoil.

Then of course, there's the community/town aspect of my gameplay. There's the administartive segment of my Sims population - and all of them have to be payed, and this is accomplished by taxes. Taxes also fund any com lots such as schools, playgrounds, wedding venues, parks, hospitals, courts and anything that strikes my fancy really and that a community of Sims might need. Lots of Simoleans needed to keep everything running! I've recently added an orphanage to my hood, for a steady influx of new, unattached Sims in my population, and now my Sims need to feed and raise 8 parentless children.

Add to that "no 20000 handout" and what can I say, except: no, I have no problem with wealth. Most of my Sims live comfortably, none have more than $50000 in funds at any one moment in my game and all have expenses that are not negligible.
Theorist
#30 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 8:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
I do it the strange way: I go into SimPE, and edit the amount of money the family has. Usually downwards, but one can do upwards, as well if you're really into playing excessively wealthy sims.

Where in SimPE can you find the amount of money?
Instructor
#31 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 10:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Simsica
In my case, the EPs took care of the excessive income.

For instance, OFB. I love playing shops, so most of my Sims own one or work in one. This closed my economy without much strain, because I play empty templates hoods, meaning that the only non-playables miling about my Sim hoods are there because I created them or, in the case of AL roomies or neighbors, allowed them to spawn. In an instant, the total amount of money circulating in my hoods is reduced by simply playing OFB to its full potential, and doing so without the endless customer base.

Then came Seasons. My Sims can, from then on, only buy food from my farmers or their distributors, and that food is more expensive. This, in addition, led to the rise in prices in all of my OFB stores. If a crate of eggplants (Paladin's hacked object) is around $700 for around 100 food units, then a formal dress can't be $200, right? Everything went up.

Freetime changed my economy in a completely unexpected manner. Suddenly my Sims wanted to chase bugs or make pottery or watch movies or what not and I decided that I like it that way - my Sims spending their time on fun activities. So I went on and reduced their weekly working hours, and in an instant I had less income per family. Simple as that. In order to run around tossing football, or collecting butterflies my Sims now work only four days in week. Everyone's happy about that, me the happiest. Hobbies also require some expensive equipment and offer new business opportunities, and there you have it: more economy turmoil.

Then of course, there's the community/town aspect of my gameplay. There's the administartive segment of my Sims population - and all of them have to be payed, and this is accomplished by taxes. Taxes also fund any com lots such as schools, playgrounds, wedding venues, parks, hospitals, courts and anything that strikes my fancy really and that a community of Sims might need. Lots of Simoleans needed to keep everything running! I've recently added an orphanage to my hood, for a steady influx of new, unattached Sims in my population, and now my Sims need to feed and raise 8 parentless children.

Add to that "no 20000 handout" and what can I say, except: no, I have no problem with wealth. Most of my Sims live comfortably, none have more than $50000 in funds at any one moment in my game and all have expenses that are not negligible.

That's exactly how I run my hood and I have no really rich, can't figure out what to do with all the cash Sims. Most of my Sims are just making ends meet or struggling. There is one rich family in the town - they donate money to build local buildings, like the hospital. Then the building is named after the family.

One play park was paid for by an anonymous donation if the park was named in memorial of a particular Sim.

Liv Loves Simming: http://livlukas.tumblr.com

Liv Loves LiveSimming: http://www.livestream.com/livlukas

Mad Poster
#32 Old 4th Mar 2012 at 11:11 AM
"Where in SimPE can you find the amount of money? "

When you click on any family in the "Family" list in SimPE.
Screenshots
Theorist
#33 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 2:42 AM
I wonder if you can somehow specify the amount of money that townies have this way. Will experiment.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#34 Old 5th Mar 2012 at 3:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Babahara
I wonder if you can somehow specify the amount of money that townies have this way. Will experiment.

The townies all belong to one family - well, one family per type (y'know, one family for townies, one for downtownies, one for students etc.). So if you're hoping to give individual sims a certain amount of money, you will not be able to.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Theorist
#35 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 12:21 AM
Oh that's a shame. I always wanted to make rich townies a la Diva and Mr. Big. Because I use alternative prices for my game, all my townies are literally paupers, even said Diva and Mr. Big. The amount of money they bring in is often enough for a couple of chairs and that's it.

Do you by any chance know how townie money gets calculated? The values must be stored *somewhere*!
Meet Me In My Next Life
#36 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 4:59 AM
There is a very good "Mod" at the site InSimenator called the "Money Adjustor with this mod you are able to add or subtract a Sim household funds. If you read the read me.txt that come with the mod it will say it also do not clash with Twojeff Simblender.

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Scholar
#37 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 5:18 AM
Oh that's a shame. I always wanted to make rich townies a la Diva and Mr. Big. Because I use alternative prices for my game, all my townies are literally paupers, even said Diva and Mr. Big. The amount of money they bring in is often enough for a couple of chairs and that's it.

Do you by any chance know how townie money gets calculated? The values must be stored *somewhere*!

It's not about stored values but about random calculation when any of them move in. The result has nothing to do with the value that is stored in Family Info resource (which is always $20000 when you check it in SimPe).
Theorist
#38 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 2:30 PM
@Simsica, that's such a shame! I wish I could rewrite the game code for that calculation.

I just keep asking myself: why is this sim so poor, where and how did he even live before moving in, if he obviously doesn't have enough money to survive? Maybe I should build a few charity houses for broke sims and pretend that townies live there. Otherwise it comes off like all of townies in the game are homeless and sleep in the streets, since they obviously can't afford a house or even paying an apartment rent steadily.
Top Secret Researcher
#39 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 3:21 PM
@Simsica, that's such a shame! I wish I could rewrite the game code for that calculation.

I just keep asking myself: why is this sim so poor, where and how did he even live before moving in, if he obviously doesn't have enough money to survive? Maybe I should build a few charity houses for broke sims and pretend that townies live there. Otherwise it comes off like all of townies in the game are homeless and sleep in the streets, since they obviously can't afford a house or even paying an apartment rent steadily.

Or maybe theyre all just shopaholics? I had a townie move in recently brought decent amount of money and a bunch of crap in his inventory. He had so many lamps,chairs, tables, stereos, tv, grills it went on and on it almost cover all the empty spaces on the lot it was the most ridiculous on I've seen yet lol.
Site Helper
#40 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 3:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gcgb53191
Or maybe theyre all just shopaholics? I had a townie move in recently brought decent amount of money and a bunch of crap in his inventory. He had so many lamps,chairs, tables, stereos, tv, grills it went on and on it almost cover all the empty spaces on the lot it was the most ridiculous on I've seen yet lol.
This is a direct result of your playable sims selling these items to townies from an owned business lot.
Mad Poster
#41 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 3:48 PM
Not sure if this was mentioned but:

If, for example, you have a wealthy wo/man who has children who dont live with him, after s/he dies, his/her children will share the inheritance equally which will be added to each of their funds, so now, they wont be as rich as their father/mother was, unless you decide to move them to one house altogether, then their funds will be added up together.
Mad Poster
#42 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 4:30 PM
If you move in/marry one of the hobby club leaders, they only bring in ONE simoleon. Which is good if you don't want them to bring in an excessive amount.

Who is Q? qanon.pub
Mad Poster
#43 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 4:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AlexandraSpears
If you move in/marry one of the hobby club leaders, they only bring in ONE simoleon. Which is good if you don't want them to bring in an excessive amount.

OMG! Poor Hobby Instructors I wonder how their lives were. :'(
Top Secret Researcher
#44 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 5:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
This is a direct result of your playable sims selling these items to townies from an owned business lot.

I only have the Landgraab business though and he doesnt sell grills and hot tubs or lamps :D
Mad Poster
#45 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 7:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gcgb53191
I only have the Landgraab business though and he doesnt sell grills and hot tubs or lamps :D

The downtownies, especially Mr. Big and the Diva, typically have a boatload of stuff in their inventories.

Who is Q? qanon.pub
Mad Poster
#46 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 9:39 PM
Actually I married Mr. Big into one of my families before I ever had OfB, and he still had a lot of stuff in his inventory. I assumed they were supposed to be date rewards.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#47 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 9:45 PM
What Peni said. I got Double Deluxe (base +Nightlife and Celebration Stuff) long before I got OFB. Those downtownies had all that stuff before I got any more EPs.

I also don't typically see downtownies in my base 'hoods, and I don't think I've ever opened a business in a downtown.

Who is Q? qanon.pub
Mad Poster
#48 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 9:55 PM
I also, as have other apoc players--as you can see from the rules we have to deal with it, have gotten tons of stuff in brand-spankin' new apoc neighborhoods in married-in townie inventories. No businesses, no business districts, and even with no other attached hoods--as in an adult start. The less you want it the more you get, and what to do with all that junk . . .
Mad Poster
#49 Old 6th Mar 2012 at 11:44 PM
I think also with OFB townies can keep up to 3 items they've purchased--the rest just disappear from their inventory. Downtownies have a lot more than 3 items.

Who is Q? qanon.pub
Top Secret Researcher
#50 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 11:49 PM
What exact mods do you guys use so your sims wont be so wealthy?

Unfortunately I'm not able to use the 'biggerbills' one. Are they any other I don't know of perhaps?
I got the 'no20khandout' just now and started using the loan jar so my sims can borrow money to buy homes
Page 2 of 3