Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Jul 2009 at 9:45 PM
Default Patterns larger than 256x256?
Before I get knee deep in trying to make my own patterns, only to find out this isn't possible I thought I'd ask. I've read in a couple of pattern tutorials that the image needs to be 256x256, but what if I want/try to make a pattern larger than that will it work? The reason being, I was decorating a home I had made last night and couldn't find any pattern I liked for an area rug, when I realized the problem was that the patterns were so small that it made the carpet look too busy (if that makes any sense) and what I needed were larger patterns that repeated less, or better yet, not at all - just one large cohesive image. So is it possible to accomplish this with patterns, or is that a different kind of modding? Thanks much!
Advertisement
Eminence Grise
#2 Old 16th Jul 2009 at 8:06 AM
Nope... no patterns bigger than 256x256. That wouldn't really help with rugs anyway, since the big problem with rugs in this game is that the patterns are badly mapped; they aren't centered or symmetrical.

It is probably possible to modify a rug mesh so it has an image on its base texture, rather than taking a pattern... something like a T-shirt stencil. There aren't any friendly tools for this kind of thing yet, though. Object modding is still in its infancy.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Jul 2009 at 4:26 AM
ok, thanks! good to know