Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Aug 2016 at 1:04 AM Last edited by springfairy556 : 26th Aug 2016 at 2:46 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Sims 3: Lots are not rendering at high detail even though the setting is at 8?
I walked through a tutorial last night to get my game to recognize my graphics card as my laptop is a newer gaming laptop, but that still didn't help.

You can see by the image I attached that last house isn't in high detail.Also attached is a copy of my dxdiag.I have a copy of my dxdiag but it won't let me upload it.I clicked the upload button but it doesn't show up as an option.So I had to copy and paste the dxdiag here:

Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Aug 2016 at 2:40 AM
1.Oh, I forgot about that.I'm sorry.
2.That's odd, I uploaded it using the attach image.Let me try posting in my post.
3.Deviceconfig below
4.1kB and 1kB

Image below:

I hope I did that right.

Sorry, I had to copy and paste.For some reason when i try to attach it as a file, the files do not show up.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 26th Aug 2016 at 2:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Hey,

Can you go back and "edit" your 2 posts and use "spoilers" on the two super long text? That way we don't have to scroll through all that text.

Also, just to verify, your 2 caches are only 1kb?

Please double check - simscompositorcache.package and compositorcache.package. They're in the same folder as your deviceconfig.

Sure, sorry about that, and yes they are only 1kb each.
I fixed the posts.

Image of the cache
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 26th Aug 2016 at 2:50 AM
Hey, I'm not doubting you. It is just I've never heard of this problem before. Would you mind taking a screenshot of the folder with your 2 cache files? and then upload that screenshot?

Also, I updated my previous post. If you didn't see it: I'm looking at the screenshot you posted. Can you tell me what you want me to see? Because just looking at it, I don't see anything wrong with it.

I know, I didn't mean to come off rude, I just meant yeah, they're 1kb each, I went and looked again.

Image of the cache

In my screenshot, the very last house at the top is not loading.I can take a better screenshot if needed.I have high lot details set to 8.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 26th Aug 2016 at 2:59 AM
Oh no, I'm not implying you're rude. I just want a visual to confirm. And yup... it says 1k... That's a problem. Do you have slow rendering issue when you play? Such as when you go to a house you see a lot of "grey" objects before they draw the textures?

However, the good news is your 1st question about the screenshot is normal.

Ok, sorry about that. I read your OP more carefully now. First of all, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the screenshot. The "maximum" hi-detail lot is 8, I believe. It means the 8 houses within the circular radius of your camera. All other houses that are too far will be low detail.

1 2 3
4 C 5
6 7 8

I do see some grey before loading.But otherwise the game runs pretty good.
This is a gaming laptop, supposed to be good for gaming..
And oh, okay.I guess I just didn't know what that truly meant.

I do have a lot of mods in my game, could that cause the issue with the cache?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 26th Aug 2016 at 3:04 AM
This might be a silly question. But ... is your cache files 1k because you cleared it? Normally it should be 500k for simcompositor and I don't remember, but I think 100-250k for the compositor cache. The only other reason I can think of is that perhaps you have a 2nd user folder? I'm Sims 3 classic, I use all the original dvds. I don't know whether the new origin online version or steam version would create other user folders.

Regardless, if the game is running fine, don't worry about it. It is just my curiosity.

I cleared my cache yesterday when installed my games.This is a new laptop and I transferred my files and someone recommended clearing them.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 26th Aug 2016 at 3:20 AM
Thanks, this is so weird, even with the Ramdisk, I can't upload the required cache because when I go into my folder, its not there lol.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 26th Aug 2016 at 4:00 AM
Uh-oh, this is where the poor OP realizes how small the TS3 world can be and starts banging their head on the desk. I'm the one who helped them make sure their game was using the correct graphics card from dual, got fps limited, and card recognized properly (hope we used the right one, I did suggest the profile for the GT650M) just yesterday and this morning on the EA forums.

Uhm, hi again.

I wouldn't be at all concerned about the unusual caching. Some worlds just cache differently by design and those 1K files act as pointers to wherever the real cache data is, probably within a World Cache file. Some of us have tried, but I don't think anyone has ever figured out where those files really point to when this happens. But deleting the 1k gizmos seems to have the same effect generally as deleting the caches that seem more fully grown. This is one of the reasons I suggested emptying the WorldCache as my last suggestion...earlier today I think it was but guess that didn't have much impact.

What I didn't know was that what they were already seeing as lots from a distance was really as good as it was going to get given their high detail setting, sorry should have realized that.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 26th Aug 2016 at 5:15 AM
Riverview caches this way too, at least it does for me, and I think at least one of the others from EA. I know, it's weird. All part of the wondrous mystery that is TS3, I guess.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#18 Old 26th Aug 2016 at 9:10 AM
The EA worlds that came with EPs all use static caches- stored in
[Install Location]\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3[EP Name]\Caches
The store worlds including Riverview all use dynamic caches.
You can force the EA worlds to use dynamic caches (stored in the World Caches folder) by removing the static cache files. Handy for if you play, say, Sunset Valley and make extensive alterations to the lots- will cure lot impostor errors.
Instructor
#19 Old 26th Aug 2016 at 9:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by springfairy556
You can see by the image I attached that last house isn't in high detail.

From your Dxdiag, your latop has dual switchable gpus, Intel HD 530 as Full Device (or primay gpu) and GTX960M as rendering device only (or secondary gpu), so far I see that there's no problem with both gpus for your TS3 as you managed to made the screenshot as you already made TS3 recognized your GTX960M as GTX650M.

I don't know if this would help to make the last house in high detail as you like it to, because sometimes it takes time to load everything into high details which also depends on your HDD's speed, even with SSD sometimes it took times depends on how complex your world is and other factors as well, but it may also because of the maximum capability of your gpu, which in your case, you made your GTX960M as GTX650M, that would be the same as you downgraded your GTX960M to GTX950M (yes I wrote GTX950M, the same 900 series generation but lower grade).

The problem with TS3 to recognized some newer gpus, is that because some of the Nvidia 600 series and/or newer generation series are not in the GraphicCards.sgr list. So in your case I would suggest for you to make TS3 recognized your GTX960M as GTX660M instead of GTX650M, this will let TS3 use the maximum performance of your GTX960M but in older generation series which is the GTX660M, after all the GTX660M is already in the GraphicCards.sgr list.

Here is some of the Nvidia listed in the GraphicCards.sgr;

vendor "NVIDIA" 0x10b4 0x12d2 0x10de
card 0x0fd1 "GeForce GT 650M"
card 0x0fd2 "GeForce GT 640M"
card 0x0fd3 "GeForce GT 640M LE"
card 0x0fd4 "GeForce GTX 660M"
card 0x0fd5 "GeForce GT 650M"
card 0x0fd8 "GeForce GT 640M"
card 0x0fe0 "GeForce GTX 660M"
card 1080 "Geforce GTX 580"
card 0x124d "GeForce GT 555M"
card 0x06c0 "GeForce GTX 480"
card 0x06cd "GeForce GTX 470"
card 0x0dc4 "GeForce GTS 450"
card 0x0dd1 "GeForce GTX 460M (rev a1)"
card 0x0de1 "GeForce GT 430"
card 0x0e22 "GeForce GTX 460"
card 0x0a6e "GeForce G 305M"
card 0x0a70 "GeForce G 310M"
card 0x0a71 "GeForce G 305M"
card 0x0a72 "GeForce G 310M"
card 0x0a73 "GeForce G 305M"
card 0x0a35 "GeForce GT 325M"
card 0x0a63 "GeForce G 310"
card 0x0a66 "GeForce G 310"
card 0x1058 "GeForce G 310M"
card 0x0ca0 "GeForce GT 330"
card 0x0ca2 "GeForce GT 320"
card 0x0ca4 "GeForce GT 340"
card 0x0ca7 "GeForce GT 330"
card 0x0caf "GeForce GT 335M"
card 0x0cb0 "GeForce GTS 350M"
card 0x0cb1 "GeForce GTS 360M"

The 1st numbers are the generation of the gpu series and the last two numbers are the grade/class/rank of the gpu's spec, so if you have the GTX1080/1070/1060 or GTX980/970/960 or GTX780/770/760 or GTX680/670/660, replacing them to GTX650 would downgraded their performance all the way down to the level of GT or GTS or GTX of x50 series, so to make the most of your gpu to run TS3 when TS3 doesn't recognized them, just notice the last two digits of your gpu with the same last two digits available in the GraphicCards.sgr list, and that's the one you want to replace with your gpu's device ID. And in your case I'd suggest to put your GTX960M's device ID to replace the GTX660M ID (instead of GTX650M) which is: card 0x0fd4 "GeForce GTX 660M"

Another tips to avoid having Texture Memory 32MB override when you knew that your TS3 will not recognized your new gpu, when you do fresh and clean installation or re-installation of your TS3, just after you patched it to 1.67 or some with 1.69 version, don't run the game just yet. But copy and backup your original GraphicCards.sgr and GraphicRules.sgr files, and then just edit the GraphicCards.sgr before TS3 generates a TS3 Documents folder in your Documents folder when you launched TS3. This will make TS3 immediately recognizes your GPU at the very 1st time you launch TS3, so when TS3 generates TS3 documents folder in the background while you're at the TS3 main menu setting your graphic setting, the next time you exit the game and check your DeviceConfig, you won't have Texture Memory 32MB Override issue, because TS3 didn't have any problem recognizing your gpu at the 1st time you launched the game, it will just automatically follow the set up you have made at the TS3 main menu when you launched the game at the 1st time.

So if you already have run TS3 and don't want to reinstall the whole game, but want to fix your gpu setting for TS3 and don't want to mess with editing the GraphicRules.sgr so you won't have Texture Memory 32MB Override, 1st you'll need to move your TS3 Documents folder completely somewhere else, but you'll need the unedited original GraphicCards.sgr and GraphicRules.sgr files in place, and just edit the GraphicCard.sgr, launch TS3 after editing the GraphicCards.sgr, set up your setting accordingly at TS3 main menu, and exit TS3 main menu and don't start the game before restarting it.

PS: Don't forget run FPS Limiter for TS3, otherwise TS3 will kill your gpu slowly.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 26th Aug 2016 at 11:56 PM Last edited by springfairy556 : 27th Aug 2016 at 12:17 AM.
Thanks everyone.
I also forgot to mention I'm playing in a Custom world if that makes a difference.

I tried downloading the FPS limiter, but when I try to open it, it says I'm missing files.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#22 Old 27th Aug 2016 at 3:00 AM
For some reason when I have the ramdisk downloaded on to my computer, my game crashes.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#24 Old 27th Aug 2016 at 3:49 AM Last edited by springfairy556 : 27th Aug 2016 at 4:09 AM.
only downloaded? not installed?

Installed I meant.Not downloaded LOL.Sorry.

Anyways, so I went and added the right card that you recommended.
My FPS is at 100, It was at 30. Someone on the sims forum was concerned when my FPS was 30.She said it should be much higher than that.I'm not sure which is good or bad.