Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Apr 2010 at 6:26 PM
Default MODL and MLOD help please
Hi,

I'm working on my entry for the Medieval challenge and I desperately need some clarification on what each MLOD and the MODL actually does and when it displays.

From what I can work out the MLOD1 is used as the close up model in all the display settings, low to high, would you say that is right (or is it system dependant, I created my package on an above average spec machine)?

I don't think I've seen MLODs 2 and 3 at all, also oddly they have no UV mapping in the original (the guitar) so I was wondering if they might be the intermediate models (like when you exit out of CAS and it goes blank for a moment before the model loads) Is that possible? because if not I don't know where they are in the grand scheme of things.

Also the MODL, where does that get used?

The problem I have is that the intermediate / far view of my model in the low display settings is not acceptable, but its just that model that I seem to be having a problem with, and I can't work out which one it is to fix it.

I'm sorry if this is a question that has been asked before, I did google but I'm not getting anything more specific than they control the level of detail. I would really appreciate any help you can offer because my lack of knowledge is holding up the project and there's just five days to go!

Thanks for reading
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 12th Apr 2010 at 7:06 PM
Not exactly sure what you're referring to with MLOD 1, 2, and 3 .. when I decompile stuff with Wes' tool (I use v1.1) I get

S3_XXXXXXXX_00000000_blah_MLOD.lod -- this is the high-resolution mesh. It gets displayed when you're close up.
S3_XXXXXXXX_00010000_blah_MLOD.lod -- this is the high-resolution sunshadow mesh: a larger, distorted version of the 00000000 one with no normals or UV map. It's used to construct the sunshadow for the high-res mesh.
S3_XXXXXXXX_00000001_blah_MODL.model -- this is the low-resolution mesh. It gets displayed when the camera is further away from the object, like on a neighbouring lot, and you often see it right after entering a lot or selecting something from the buy mode catalogue (the game loads the low-res first, then goes to fetch the righ res, to improve the perceived rendering speed).
S3_XXXXXXXX_00010001_blah_MLOD.lod -- this is the low-resolution sunshadow mesh: a larger, distorted version of the 00000001 one with no normals or UV map. It's used to construct the sunshadow for the low-res mesh.

Some objects do not have sunshadows, that's probably why you only see one MLOD for those. When you have problems with the "far view" it's most probably the MODL that needs fixing.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 12th Apr 2010 at 7:28 PM
Not all objects have all four of the files. I've seen many with just 00000 and 00001, but you can see from PB's post which those refer to.

Also, you might want to search the meshing forums for guitar as I'm sure I've read people had problems with them, especially as they have some sort of connection with the stand.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 12th Apr 2010 at 8:04 PM
plasticbox thank you, that is exactly the information I was after and I did forget all about the sunshadow meshes! I have clearly been staring at this thing way too long, and sorry for the confusion on the numbering, that's just how I have been keeping it straight in this project, my LOD 2 and 3 are 0010000 and 00110001 respectively, the sunshadow meshes which makes sense and explains the UV mapping too, it isn't needed. I suspect you are right about the problem being with the MODL because the close views are behaving just as they should. Thank you, you have saved me a lot of time.

Ceixari, you are absolutely right about the guitar being a problem to work with, as far as I know it isn't possible to create a new mesh, but in my case I have just pulled points around a lot and that seems to work ok, add anything, take anything away and yes you are left playing the stand.

thank you for your speedy replies
Mad Poster
#5 Old 12th Apr 2010 at 8:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lois99
Ceixari, you are absolutely right about the guitar being a problem to work with, as far as I know it isn't possible to create a new mesh, but in my case I have just pulled points around a lot and that seems to work ok, add anything, take anything away and yes you are left playing the stand.

Ah, that sounds like what just happened to me - I tried to make a medieval lute from the guitar and made a new round back for it. I ended up with an object that looked great on the stand but as soon as the sim picked it up to play, the back became transparent and she was playing the stand plus the front of lute with nothing in between. So now I know it's not just me! Frustrating.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 12th Apr 2010 at 9:30 PM
I have been there believe me, and I settled for a flat backed lute (they do exist), and though no where near what I had hoped for, with the new mesh I made, that one is at least working ok, it's the harp I'm having trouble with now.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 12th Apr 2010 at 10:02 PM
Oh, you do have my sympathy! Yes, I tried a flat-backed lute too and it worked, but just didn't look very special like that.

Good luck, hope you get the harp sorted out!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 12th Apr 2010 at 10:20 PM
I know what you mean about the 'special', unfortunately though without being able to use a new mesh we are kind of stuck with that, and the harp is kind of blocky too, I'm hoping to do something with the textures to help with that, but only if I can get the models working, which is not going well unfortunately, still, the night is young

thanks for your good wishes
Mad Poster
#9 Old 12th Apr 2010 at 10:38 PM
I might make the 'flat backed lute' into a cittern instead, but I've become fed up with the whole project and can't bring myself to look at it again for the moment out of sheer frustration, LOL!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 12th Apr 2010 at 11:16 PM
LOL, I know exactly what you mean by frustration, but I've gone the other way and its sheer stubborness keeping me going now, I've been working on these on and off for months now, but if I can't get them working by Friday I'm going to have to call it a day (for my sanity's sake) and maybe try something I have a hope of completing.

I hope you will come back to your project when you can face it, a cittern would be great
Alchemist
#11 Old 13th Apr 2010 at 12:35 AM
I know both of you would probably prefer to make something that Sims can use but I gotta say having a lute, a harp, or a cittern as a decorative object would also be welcome IMO. Perhaps if there is just no way of getting the thing functional right now, due to the geostates issue, you would still consider offering the meshes you've created as decorative items? It's difficult to get "atmosphere" with this game if you're shooting for something medieval/renaissance...more decorative items could definitely help with that. And, my bet is, people who just want an exotic or eclectic look in their house would also like deco pieces like this.