Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Sep 2017 at 8:25 AM Last edited by eMuggers : 13th Nov 2022 at 10:17 AM.
Default Sims 2 : Dogs Barking
Is there a way to disable the pets expansion in the sims 2 ultimate collection?

The ambient dog barking in the neighbourhood when I am on the home lot is driving me mad. This is not the normal ambient dog barking. This is non-stop barking that is clearly bugged!

If there is no way to disable the expansion is there a mod that will get rid of this or a way to disable it?

Thanks

I video recorded in game and this is what they sound like.
https://streamable.com/5mkvv

Edit:
So I've reformatted BOTH my harddrives completely wiped to stock windows 10. I even created another origin account and got a fresh serial code for the Sims 2 UC. I loaded the game as normal and didn't use any CC or touched the graphics settings for resolution and it still happened. I also right clicked and updated the game and run several repairs. I also downloaded it on my boyfriends computer who has never had any Sims games ever on it and he had the exact same issue with the barking. We have the same computers except for graphics cards.

We have different headphones so he has different software but could it possibly be the motherboard sound cards?

Edit2: Dogs don't eat out of bowls even if they are hungry. Tried every purchasable bowl and different rooms, made sure they're facing correct way.

Edit3:
I notice that it comes from the road/across the road area. If I have a big enough lot and move to the back of it I don't hear barking at all aside from the ambient ones. Annoying but keeps me sane while playing at least.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 13th Sep 2017 at 11:01 AM
The ambient sound of the dog barking came with the base game, not the Pets EP. I remember people posting on message boards wondering why Maxis bothered to put barking dog sounds in the game when there were no dogs. If it bothers you that much, just go into the audio settings in the options section and mute the ambient sounds.
Theorist
#3 Old 13th Sep 2017 at 7:36 PM
The 'neighborhood' dog barking was even around in sims 1. I found it annoying too, when there were no pets around.

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Scholar
#4 Old 14th Sep 2017 at 1:05 AM
I like the ambient dog barking You can also hear bicycle spokes spinning, like kids riding bikes.

We NEVER got those in 2.

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Mad Poster
#5 Old 14th Sep 2017 at 10:17 AM
The dog barking actually drives me nuts too. But I like the rest of the ambient sounds.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#6 Old 14th Sep 2017 at 10:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DezzyBoo
I like the ambient dog barking You can also hear bicycle spokes spinning, like kids riding bikes.

We NEVER got those in 2.

The dog barking finally restored the ambient sound to TS1 I thought. Personally, I like it.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 9:24 AM
The dog barking is only muted when I disable sound effects not ambient. An ambient dog barking would be fine if it barked every now and then but this particular barking is non-stop. It's really loud and doesn't stop. It will get 'quieter' when I put the camera in a certain position but if I ever change the camera angle it is barking again really loud. Makes me think that surely continuous loud barking isn't intended?

It actually makes me really sad because I can't play the game anymore until I can find a solution. Playing without sound effects isn't an option as it adds so much to the game. But I have a noisy dog next door and games is my escape from that. The dog in the Sims 2 is actually worse.

I hope someone who can mod can look into this because I really want to play
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#8 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 1:08 PM
That does sound odd because I wouldn't describe it as either loud or continuous.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 1:45 PM
Yeah, I don't even notice dog barking. I wonder if you could take a video of it to show us what it's like?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 1:50 PM
I definitely want to record it (have to figure out how). Best way to explain it.. if you make it ultra speed (3) then there are different dogs continuously barking on a loop without a single second of stopping.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 2:08 PM
There's an icon of an old-fashioned motion picture camera in the UI. That's for making videos. Under the ellipses, in the same place as the other graphic settings, you can set the duration, quality, etc. of a video. Once that's done to your satisfaction, just click the video camera icon and let the game run. As long as it's not very big, you should be able to attach it to a post in this thread without sending it through a hosting site.

That is very much not normal. I'd say there must be an invisible dog trapped on the lot, but if it's always there no matter what household you play that can't be it.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 16th Sep 2017 at 2:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
There's an icon of an old-fashioned motion picture camera in the UI. That's for making videos. Under the ellipses, in the same place as the other graphic settings, you can set the duration, quality, etc. of a video. Once that's done to your satisfaction, just click the video camera icon and let the game run. As long as it's not very big, you should be able to attach it to a post in this thread without sending it through a hosting site.

That is very much not normal. I'd say there must be an invisible dog trapped on the lot, but if it's always there no matter what household you play that can't be it.

Okay I edited the original post.. took a video capture of my game and uploaded it to streamable

Mad Poster
#13 Old 16th Sep 2017 at 3:18 AM
That isn't even the normal ambient barking. It might be the sound from the toy dog pen, but I've only used that a handful of times so I'm not sure.

Have you ever fiddled around in your sound files? I'm thinking of all the times I find a file in a place where I never meant to put it, due to distraction and poor mouse fu. That's the only thing I can think of that's even remotely plausible. I hope somebody else can come along with a better suggestion.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14 Old 16th Sep 2017 at 3:55 AM
Sounds like a glitch where you have dogs stuck on barking. As Peni said, that is not the normal ambient barking. have you tried making a backup, going into origin and fixing your game?

Moving to help.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 17th Sep 2017 at 12:40 AM
So I've reformatted BOTH my harddrives completely wiped to stock windows 10. I even created another origin account and got a fresh serial code for the Sims 2 UC. I loaded the game as normal and didn't use any CC or touched the graphics settings for resolution and it still happened. I also right clicked and updated the game and run several repairs. I also downloaded it on my boyfriends computer who has never had any Sims games ever on it and he had the exact same issue with the barking. We have the same computers except for graphics cards.

We have different headphones so he has different software but could it possibly be the motherboard sound cards?
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#16 Old 17th Sep 2017 at 1:23 AM Last edited by maxon : 17th Sep 2017 at 1:34 AM.
I just tried my game - you have the right sounds there but you seem to have more dog barking than me.

Mad Poster
#17 Old 17th Sep 2017 at 1:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
I just tried my game - you have the right sounds there but you seem to have more dog barking than me.

Exactly...sounds like your default barking dogs had puppies, and mine didn't. 0_o

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 17th Sep 2017 at 1:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon

Thanks for trying your game to check

I am hoping that there could be a way just to remove all dog audio without breaking the game. I don't use pets at all so this could be a reasonable fix for this issue but I have no idea how to accomplish that.
Top Secret Researcher
#19 Old 17th Sep 2017 at 11:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by eMuggers
Thanks for trying your game to check

I am hoping that there could be a way just to remove all dog audio without breaking the game. I don't use pets at all so this could be a reasonable fix for this issue but I have no idea how to accomplish that.

It's not solving the problem but as I understand it's most annoying at night. Maybe you can just mute the sound on your computer when using speed 3 at night?

Where did your MTS uploads go? https://s2idownloads.blogspot.com/2...content-no.html
Contact me here: www.facebook.com/sims2idea
Overview all my creations: Download at once (SimFileShare)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 17th Sep 2017 at 11:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lientebollemeis
It's not solving the problem but as I understand it's most annoying at night. Maybe you can just mute the sound on your computer when using speed 3 at night?

Doesn't matter what time of the day it is, it was just night time for my sim when I recorded that. It comes from the road mostly so if I change camera angles to a certain position on some lots I won't hear it. Other lots it doesn't make much of a difference.
Test Subject
#21 Old 3rd Oct 2019 at 12:33 PM Last edited by martinm : 3rd Oct 2019 at 12:45 PM.
Two years later: the barking is one of the more horrible goof-ups of EA but this one can fortunately be made bearable by moving your trashcan far away to one side of your lot. The horror-barking sort of comes from there. If the can is out of view, the barking is gone as well.
Forum Resident
#22 Old 3rd Oct 2019 at 4:16 PM
Wow. I can't wait to try that. Thank you for sharing. And it does make me wonder whether this is why it's never bothered me all that much---I almost always move trashcans away from the front of the house.

For anyone else who wants to try it: you do have to turn on the moveobjects cheat to move the lot's trashcan.

*Ongoing TS2 informational projects (come on by to contribute, get info, or spectate!): (1) the SimPE Preservation Project and (2) Conflict Tracking for the 3t2 Traits Project Mods
*Need a Pescado mod? Use his hack directory: in the first post, find the link for your latest EP, then go in hacks/
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 8th May 2022 at 11:22 AM
Three years later:

You can also use the "Stuck Object Remover" mod object to nuke the sound emitters.

They are placed on the tile of the _Mail Box_. Every time you load the lot:
  1. In one Buy mode session, move the Mailbox to another tile (needs moveobjects on).
  2. Place the Stuck Object Remover on the previous Mailbox tile (Important: do not place the Stuck Object Remover _on_ the Mailbox as that'll 99% soft lock the game unless you want to wait 5-10 minutes and frame perfectly break out of Live Mode to prevent a followup crash. This is due to the game and the object remover mercilessly placing and deleting the mailbox over and over and over again.)
  3. Go to Live mode and watch it nuke the following objects:
    • *Emitter - Pet - Run Around
    • *Emitter - Pet - Howling and Yowling
    • *Emitter - Pet - Cat Crazy
    • *Emitter - Pet - Bark Randomly
    • *Lot Noises - Pet
    • *Emitter - Pet - Lot Noises
    • *Emitter - Vampire in Sunlight (this is no sound but will remove the "smoke" effect on vampires during day)
  4. Go back into Buy mode and move the Mailbox back to where it was before.

Ugh. Given those names even EA / Maxis knew these sounds are annoying af.
Would be great to see a mod removing these dumb emitters automatically or replacing the sounds with AOL dial-up login sounds or someone scratching their fingernails on a blackboard as even those are less annoying.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#24 Old 13th Nov 2022 at 10:15 AM
Default !!!thank You!!!
Quote: Originally posted by PacMani
Three years later:

You can also use the "Stuck Object Remover" mod object to nuke the sound emitters.

They are placed on the tile of the _Mail Box_. Every time you load the lot:
  1. In one Buy mode session, move the Mailbox to another tile (needs moveobjects on).
  2. Place the Stuck Object Remover on the previous Mailbox tile (Important: do not place the Stuck Object Remover _on_ the Mailbox as that'll 99% soft lock the game unless you want to wait 5-10 minutes and frame perfectly break out of Live Mode to prevent a followup crash. This is due to the game and the object remover mercilessly placing and deleting the mailbox over and over and over again.)
  3. Go to Live mode and watch it nuke the following objects:
    • *Emitter - Pet - Run Around
    • *Emitter - Pet - Howling and Yowling
    • *Emitter - Pet - Cat Crazy
    • *Emitter - Pet - Bark Randomly
    • *Lot Noises - Pet
    • *Emitter - Pet - Lot Noises
    • *Emitter - Vampire in Sunlight (this is no sound but will remove the "smoke" effect on vampires during day)
  4. Go back into Buy mode and move the Mailbox back to where it was before.

Ugh. Given those names even EA / Maxis knew these sounds are annoying af.
Would be great to see a mod removing these dumb emitters automatically or replacing the sounds with AOL dial-up login sounds or someone scratching their fingernails on a blackboard as even those are less annoying.

I decided to give Sims 2 another go and totally forgot about this issue. I just spent ALL day setting up my Sims 2 and modding (thanks acottonsock on Youtube). I launched the game finally ready to play and BOOM noisy dog barking bug. I googled the issue and funnily enough my old thread popped up! I'm so glad you posted this as it fixed the issue. I was about to cry sad tears but now I'm crying happy tears. If you ever see this PacMani, THANK YOU!!!!!
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 13th Nov 2022 at 10:32 AM
I just wish someone could write a mod for this, that searches and destroys those objects automatically after the lot loaded