Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Feb 2009 at 4:32 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Espress-O-Matic bar disappeared from game after installing The Sims 2 Store Edition
The Impresso Espress-O-Matic bar has gone missing from my game after installing The Sims 2 Store Edition.

The espresso bar cannot be located anywhere in the object directory and it has disappeared (leaving empy space where it should be located) from all lots where it was previously functioning without problem (i.e. Maxis designed locations on University campuses). To clarify, it is not invisable, it is actually not there. Items can be freely placed in the space where it should be located. I have followed the steps listed in the Game Help:Game Problem without any result, the espresso bar is still missing.

My core game is The Sims 2 (PC-CD).

I have expansion/stuff packs (including the appropriate patches) installed in the following order:

1) The Sims 2 University (PC-CD)
2) The Sims 2 Nightlife (PC-CD)
3) The Sims 2 Open for Business (PC-CD)
4) The Sims 2 Family Fun Stuff (PC-CD)
5) The Sims 2 Store Edition (downloaded with the EA Download Manager)

I do not currently have any custom content or hacks installed. The coffee bar reappears when I uninstall The Sims 2 Store Edition. Unfortunately though, I played The Sims 2 using the Store Edition for nearly a week before I actually realized that the espresso bar was in fact missing. After several days of gameplay, in the interest of saving disk space, I deleted my prior backed up game data since the install of the update appeared to have been unproblematic. As a result, since games saved in the Store Edition are not backwards compatible, I am unable to utilize my saved game data if I want to play without the Store Edition. So now I am stuck with playing the Store Edition (with no espresso bar) to preserve my saved game data or starting over from scratch with a complete reintallation without the Store Edition in order to have access to the espresso bar.

I strongly suspect that the disappearance of the espresso bar stems from the installation of the Store Edition since I never had any problems with it prior to that. There is a very similar question located in the Sims 2 Help - MAC Support forum (Espress-o-matic bar missing from Uni EP), but I'm not sure that the same solution applies for the PC platform. I'm not at all familiar with SimPE though I did download it and try to follow the suggestion regarding cloning the missing object. Unfortunately, this did not work for me, but I may not have gotten it right since I freely admit that I'm somewhat technically challenged and was more that a bit confused by SimPE.

EA's customer service was of absolutely no help, but they were nice enough to offer me a coupon for a future purchase. Interesting solution guys. Disappointing to say the least.

Any help and/or guidance that can be offered would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#2 Old 26th Feb 2009 at 6:08 PM
Actually that thread is the PC version. The OP is using a Windows partition on a Mac. I wonder if they also have the store edition installed?

And why would the store edition affect the lot? Does this not only add content to the game?
shiny!
retired moderator
#3 Old 26th Feb 2009 at 6:14 PM
I wonder if it just changed the category or something. I don't know how that would delete content.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 26th Feb 2009 at 7:24 PM Last edited by KraziKatLadi : 26th Feb 2009 at 7:34 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
Actually that thread is the PC version. The OP is using a Windows partition on a Mac. I wonder if they also have the store edition installed?

And why would the store edition affect the lot? Does this not only add content to the game?

Thanks for your reply HugeLunatic. The thread that I mentioned may also be in the PC section (though I haven't been able to find it there after searching for it). My original search turned up a thread by psinatra in the Sims 2 Help - MAC Support section. Here's the link to the thread I was directed to: Espress-o-matic bar missing from Uni EP. This appears to be the only thread started by psinatra as indicated here: http://www.modthesims2.com/search.php?searchid=11019337. Could you please direct me to the thread in the PC section? Perhaps I can find a solution there.

I don't think that the Store Edition had an effect on the lot per se, but more specifically on the particular object in question (the espresso bar). Fortunately, no other objects seem to have disappeared along with it (at least not that I have noted after checking to see if anything else was missing). I haven't the slightest idea why that would happen and apparently neither does EA's customer support judging from the "help" (or rather lack thereof) that they provided.

My college Sims are really missing their java fixes. How can anyone be expected to get through college without caffeine? Is that even possible?

Forgot to mention that the problem appeared for the OP after installing the Store edition.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 26th Feb 2009 at 7:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by callistra
I wonder if it just changed the category or something. I don't know how that would delete content.

Thanks callistra, I definitely took that possibility into consideration and can say with full confidence that it is not located in any object category. I have gone through them all several times over and the espresso bar is nowhere to be found.
#6 Old 26th Feb 2009 at 8:29 PM
That thread IS in the Mac support section, and it IS concerning the Wintel version of the game installed in a Windoze partition. You won`t find it in the "PC" section, because it was (accidentally) posted in the Mac section, and never moved.

While this won`t help fix the problem, I have an idea of how it could have happened: I suspect that EA/Maxis, in their Infinite Wisdom, accidentally overrode the University object by re-using the GUIDs or group number of the object for another purpose. It sounds typical of their operation. I have a request-for-information that may help clear this up. Would someone who has both Store Edition and a working knowlege of SimPE examine the various Store Edition package files for any entries with the Group number of 0x7FE94D23 and tell us what is found? I suggest starting with objects.package, if it has one.

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Test Subject
#7 Old 20th Sep 2017 at 1:40 AM
I noticed this too I have the same expansion and it is missing from the game as well. The only thing that I can think of is uninstalling and reinstalling everything, since you can't just uninstall the Store Edition.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 20th Sep 2017 at 1:54 AM
Are you on disks or UC? I am on disks, got them all plus the Store edition.
I got that item alright
I know that a game folder started with UC, won't accept 'Hoods made with Store Edition. otherwise..no clue.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 20th Sep 2017 at 3:20 AM
@Davie56 please do not resurrect old8 year old threads. The Store Addition is bad news, you don't want or need that. You can still get the UC free from Origin, that would be my suggestion.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Locked thread | Locked by: joandsarah77 Reason: Old thread