Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Oct 2004 at 7:47 AM
Default [moved] Help getting basments to work??
For some reason when I finally went through all the trouble of building my basement, sims couldnt travel to it! And if I moved them manually through move objects into it, they couldn't move around? What is the solution to making a fully functional basment?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 22nd Oct 2004 at 7:58 AM
Mine work just fine. How did you go about building your basement?
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 22nd Oct 2004 at 8:09 AM
Here are 2 links on how to make basements:

Basement Tutorial
http://thesims2.ea.com/exchange/story_detail.php?asset_id=503&search=1&asset_type=story&key=basement&order=UPDATE_DATE+desc&nrows=5&storyCat=&locality=&country=&view=feature

Advanced Basement Tutorial
http://thesims2.ea.com/exchange/story_detail.php?asset_id=664&search=1&asset_type=story&key=basement&order=UPDATE_DATE+desc&nrows=5&storyCat=&locality=&country=&view=feature

<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Fri Oct 22 2004, 12:13AM ]</span>

"Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense." - Chapman Cohen
Test Subject
#4 Old 22nd Oct 2004 at 8:17 AM
Good call. The second link points out a couple of tricks I want to use. Many thx jpaugh. =D
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 22nd Oct 2004 at 8:20 AM
glad i could be of help

"Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense." - Chapman Cohen
Forum Resident
#6 Old 22nd Oct 2004 at 8:38 AM
Basement usually is very hard to see while playing game.

Just one of the fancy stuff .... =p

Live for today, learn from yesterday, and dream of tomorrow.
A being under construction -- Even so, come.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 22nd Oct 2004 at 8:42 AM
A lot of current houses have basements, so many people like to put them in their house in the Sims 2. Its just for realism...

Slacker of Immense Slackness
retired moderator
#8 Old 22nd Oct 2004 at 10:01 AM
Ahhhh but you see us Aussies don't have basements in our houses so its kind of a novelty

<:3))~~ Loverat
"In some cultures what I do is considered normal"

www.loverat.net Check it out for other recolours & lot uploads =D
Test Subject
#9 Old 22nd Oct 2004 at 11:57 AM
The biggest problem with basements I'm finding so far is the Floor Tile in place error you get when trying to place structural walls within the basement interior.

Simple basements such as the single room basements shown in the tutorials are functional and doable. Multi-room basements or multi-level basements seem completely unbuildable within the confines of the engine.

Also...extremely complicated sub terrain level digs have caused my Sims 2 to crash out with a DX error.

But regardless...I'm continuing to experiment. My goal currently is to rebuild a functional underground bunker....for the Sim with paranoia issues.
[ Edited Fri Oct 22 2004, 03:58AM ]
#10 Old 22nd Oct 2004 at 6:55 PM
The problem I've found is that ground level is ground level regardless of the level of the ground.
So if you're 3 levels down in a deep deep basement or you're in the front yard near the mailbox, you're on the same level as far as the game is concerned.

That's why you can't make basements more than 1 level deep. The foundation will only hook-up with the walls from the ground level. You can't connect the foundation floor to the 2nd or 3rd floor.

As far as multi room goes, I haven't had a problem. Once you create your one room basement, you should be able to partition it into rooms with standard walls and doors.
It would be difficult to create the basement in sections. Especially unconnected sections, since you won't be able to put flooring on the ground level unless there is a room under it.
Test Subject
#11 Old 23rd Oct 2004 at 8:59 PM
I have run into &quot;floor tile in place&quot; problems before while building a new house. To solve the issue I had to tear out the existing ground floor walls and clear the floor tiles before placing basement partitions. On the flipside, I've been able to partition the basement of an existing three-story house into five different rooms with no problem.

On the offhand, I put a swimming pool in the basement of another house. It's interesting to be watching the first floor and see a downstairs Sim leap through the kitchen linoleum while using a diving board.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 25th Oct 2004 at 11:20 AM
I found basements useful with the external entrance, it’s simple to make, flatten the ground to basement level one or two tiles out and 5 wide, place stairs down from one side. Remove the basement foundation and make a hole, fill the hole with a normal wall and place a door. Show single stair in picture, but recommend wide stairs and double doors. One very useful idea is to place a bedroom and bathroom down there, useful then your sim comes home from the city with all stats in red. You can then place your internal entrance to the basement back in the house and have other external entrances at the back.
Only annoying thing is that guests often knock on the basement door and is hard to see.

[img]e107_files/public/14063_snapshot_00000001_ce85e639.jpg[/img]
&lt;span class='smalltext'>[ 14063_snapshot_00000001_ce85e639.jpg ][/i]
Field Researcher
#13 Old 25th Oct 2004 at 11:23 AM
I did not get image atatchemnts to work.
Test Subject
#14 Old 26th Oct 2004 at 6:39 AM
I really want a two-level basement
Test Subject
#15 Old 26th Oct 2004 at 4:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by uecasm

Same here. Was hoping to build a missile silo or underground bunker for my freedom fighter family.
Test Subject
#16 Old 27th Nov 2004 at 5:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by KrashKart
Quote: Originally posted by uecasm

Same here. Was hoping to build a missile silo or underground bunker for my freedom fighter family.

Maybe if you raise the terrain on your land, then built down into the ground, creating the appearance of a multi level basement... Maybe lame, maybe not :?

Sandi
Locked thread | Locked by: ThreadMover Reason: Outdated / No Replies