Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 7:47 PM
Question about System Requirements
I'm trying to see if The Sims 3 will work on my laptop here, it's pretty new, and I think it should work. When the system requirements were first posted, I felt pretty bummed when I saw a minimum 2.4 GHz processor requirement for Vista systems.

But then I went to The Sims 3 forums and saw this on a forum post:

"The 2.0Ghz / 2.4Ghz processor speed - The processing speed (2.0Ghz for XP and 2.4Ghz for Vista) are for the minimum single-cored Pentium 4 processors. This does not mean your Dual Core, Triple Core or Quad Core processors have to be that speed. The required speed for multi-cored processors is 1.8Ghz."

I have an AMD Turion Dual-Core processor at 2.0 GHz. I also have an NVIDIA GeForce 8200 which is not listed. I'm not really hardware savvy, and I can't post on the official Sims 3 forum, so I was hoping someone could tell me if I should buy this game or not.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 7:58 PM
If your graphics card is not supported your game will refuse to run unfortunately.
Sim Princess in Pink
#3 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 8:16 PM
Your card should be fine, I have a Geforce 6200 and it will work. Try Can You Run It , this site will scan your system and compare it to any game you select from the list - obviously select TS3 lol. It will tell you everything you need to know.

Please, Call Me Lou :D
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#4 Old 1st Jun 2009 at 8:31 PM
Please do not recommend sites like Can You Run It and suchlike - they are NOT reliable at scanning hardware or letting you know whether a game will run or run well.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
shiny!
retired moderator
#5 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 3:11 AM
8200 is not a graphics card. It is an IGP (chip on the motherboard which does the functions that a graphics card normally would) and it is not supported. Just because a graphics card/chip is not supported doesn't mean it won't work, however there is no guarantee it will work. There are extreamly strong unsupported cards with TS2 that can play much more demanding games but cannot run TS2 properly and there are some unsupported cards for TS2 which work just fine. Regardless of support, we're not recommending onboard graphics for TS3 due to their inherent weakness.

Also EA states higher requirements for those running onboard. You need a minimum of 1.8ghz C2D and 2GB of RAM at MINIMUM. Your 2ghz AMD is weaker than a 1.8ghz C2D so, again, it may not work.

If you choose to try to run TS3 on your laptop, you should have a read through this guide first:http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...nboard_Graphics