Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Jan 2016 at 8:47 PM
Default 3rd MLOD (or group)
So as I was creating this cube lamp: http://greenplumbboblover.tumblr.co...onverting-those
I was wondering on how to create a third group. The lamps I opened up in TSRW had all a shadow group and a mesh group and for this cube (and it's realism) I want 3 groups instead of 2.
I've looked at this tutorial but i'm not sure if it's just for CAS parts, but also for objects like these: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=445332
The reason why I want this third group is because I only want the shine to get from the lamp area and not the whole mesh, as you can always see on EA's meshes. With this 3rd group I can change the shader and with hope of using the right shader, the black area won't have this annoying glow anymore.

Does anyone knows how to add a third group on a object?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 25th Jan 2016 at 10:14 PM
It's really easy to add a group with the TSRW.
Simply select the main group (not the shadow one), probably named "Group 1"; here right-click on "Group 1" and select "Duplicate".
You have now your third group.
Click then on "material [...]" to set your materials as you want it. The best is to clone an object offering the effect you look for to write down the settings and use/adapt them for your own object/group.
To the question "This material is used by other groups too, do you want to remove this reference?", say "Yes".
Redo the same for low poly mesh (if needed).
Virtual gardener
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Jan 2016 at 2:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ATS Sandy
It's really easy to add a group with the TSRW.
Simply select the main group (not the shadow one), probably named "Group 1"; here right-click on "Group 1" and select "Duplicate".
You have now your third group.
Click then on "material [...]" to set your materials as you want it. The best is to clone an object offering the effect you look for to write down the settings and use/adapt them for your own object/group.
To the question "This material is used by other groups too, do you want to remove this reference?", say "Yes".
Redo the same for low poly mesh (if needed).

Thank you so much! I guess the reason why I never saw this duplication option is because I'm working on CAS parts more often and sadly, it's not possible with it. But I did found it for object creating! I really hope that TSRW will make it just as advanced for CAS parts too, because I'm really missing this option and the shader selecting in it. I mean, I always forget to do that when I just finished a project and I really wanted to change this one shader (or add a group) and then I forget to edit it in S3PE... *sigh*
Also, I found this post about changing certain codes or numbers to make a creation base game compatible but sadly this tutorial was only for SimPE (aka the sims 2). Is there also a way to do that with the sims 3?
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 26th Jan 2016 at 3:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Greenplumbbob
Also, I found this post about changing certain codes or numbers to make a creation base game compatible but sadly this tutorial was only for SimPE (aka the sims 2). Is there also a way to do that with the sims 3?

If your object doesn't do something special that requires an expansion for the script/animations, it should work for base game, even if it's cloned from an EP object.
Eventually, to be sure it works, you can change the OBJK, but I'm not sure it's really useful.
Anyway, as changing the OBJK can be super useful for tons of other things, here's how to process with the TSRW:
Clone a base game object with a similar function to yours, then, go to Edit/Project content, and then right-click on the OBJK and select "Script Class Editor".
Copy what you see (something like "Sims3.Gameplay.objects.blabla").
Then, in your own object, paste that new script (still in OBJK/Script Class Editor).

The script tells the game how to behave; you can change the function of some objects with this tip. You can ask a plant to behave like a toy, or like dry food (that's how my custom food works), but of course, it's not that magic: it won't work at all for some functions, plus it won't add routings. But I'm getting way too off-topic!
Virtual gardener
Original Poster
#5 Old 26th Jan 2016 at 7:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ATS Sandy
If your object doesn't do something special that requires an expansion for the script/animations, it should work for base game, even if it's cloned from an EP object.
Eventually, to be sure it works, you can change the OBJK, but I'm not sure it's really useful.
Anyway, as changing the OBJK can be super useful for tons of other things, here's how to process with the TSRW:
Clone a base game object with a similar function to yours, then, go to Edit/Project content, and then right-click on the OBJK and select "Script Class Editor".
Copy what you see (something like "Sims3.Gameplay.objects.blabla").
Then, in your own object, paste that new script (still in OBJK/Script Class Editor).

The script tells the game how to behave; you can change the function of some objects with this tip. You can ask a plant to behave like a toy, or like dry food (that's how my custom food works), but of course, it's not that magic: it won't work at all for some functions, plus it won't add routings. But I'm getting way too off-topic!

I know a bit about script editing (not that it would be my favourite thing to do). But I'm actually surprised that people who doens't have a EP or SP, can still download it like it is a base game compatible object or CAS part. It's fun to do though! Like having something completely weird, being a toy. Or... you know these kinds of stuff. Thanks for the reply! I really appreciate it! ^-^
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 26th Jan 2016 at 8:38 PM
EP are required for CAS parts, I was only talking about objects here.