Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 1:51 PM
Default How to install framework setup right with a new computer running with windows 8
Just got a new computer a few months ago, operating with Windows 8. Tried to install the framework setup, but having problems getting it right. Tried to follow the manual here om Mod the sims, but it didn't help. I have both WinRAR and 7.zip preinstalled on my computer, is this a problem. Do not know what to do, and didn't have this problem on my last computer running Windows 7. Can anyone help me?
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 2:10 PM
i dont think having WinRAR and 7zip is a problem. in fact you need 7zip to unzip the framework.zip
where exactly are you stuck when installing the framework ?

does windows 8 also have such a filepath??? => C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\

<< ... too old-fashioned to die young-fashioned >>
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 2:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by shmovese
i dont think having WinRAR and 7zip is a problem. in fact you need 7zip to unzip the framework.zip
where exactly are you stuck when installing the framework ?

does windows 8 also have such a filepath??? => C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\

Yes it does have the same filepath but I'm stucked in the way that I cant follow the instruction about extracting the framework setup at current location ( nothing saying extract here whn rightclicking) If I doubleclick the framework setup that I've saved in documents/Electronic Arts/The sims 3 a New frame opens saying mods, and if I try to extract it in the same Place, I get a new map with the name mods, but the files inside package is not extracted I tried to download a package-file, but my computer couldn't open it
Forum Resident
#4 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 2:34 PM
you should save it INTO the sims 3 folder (under My Documents =< Electronic Arts) and extract it directly there. then it should unpack as mods (and overrides folder) there. that doent work for you???

also if you want to retry dont forget to delete the mods folder if theres already one into your sims 3 folder

guide post again (quoted from framework link given above)
1. download the zip but with right-clicking on it and SAVE LINK AS => Save it into your Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\ folder
2. Extract the framework: Right-click on the FrameworkSetup.zip file and choose Extract Here (You will get this option if you have properly installed 7-Zip as advised in the TS3 CC Basics FAQ). A new folder will appear, called "Mods".
3. Check Mods Folder by double clicking it to open: Your Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\ folder should look like the picture, with three items inside... two folders, one called "Overrides" and one called "Packages" and one file called Resource.cfg. Double-click on the folder called "Packages" to open it.

also if the contents and the location of that "framework" are like in the pics here=> http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...Setup_and_Files but the only problem is that you have twice of "mods folder" (cause of retrying it several time) simply delete one. you only need one that contains the
mods => packages + overrides + resource.cfg
and into packages => no inro + no build sparkles

Forum Resident
#5 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 2:44 PM
bumping - package files need a program to be ready to open them. if you cant do it now - its no problem!

Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 3:05 PM Last edited by sjoslor : 16th Aug 2014 at 3:20 PM.
bumping - package files need a program to be ready to open them. if you cant do it now - its no problem!

the packagefiles look have the WinRAR symbol in front of them, like they aren't unpacked. In the computer I had before, the symbol looked like a frame with nothing within.

PS I only have one mods-map installed

When trying to open theese package-files with the winrar-symbol in front, I get the message that the files are of an unknown format ore damaged
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#7 Old 17th Aug 2014 at 11:39 AM
Ignore the symbol. What's the filetype? It's the part after the . in the filename, or if you have that hidden, you can see it in the Properties window for the file.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 17th Aug 2014 at 1:27 PM Last edited by sjoslor : 17th Aug 2014 at 4:54 PM.
If U mean the files in the Mods-map they are package-files. The problem comes when I try to download CC I get an error message, it says that the format is unknown or that the file i damaged.
The files look the same, both the unextracted, and the files I've allready had downloaded and extracted(stored on a USB). I tried to just put the files I've allready downloaded and stored into the Mods-map, the normal CC then works, but if I try to put the Master Controller in, the game crashed. Downloading and installing isn't possible either
Forum Resident
#9 Old 17th Aug 2014 at 4:54 PM
you dont need to open the package files. these are so called mods that only need to be placed at a certain location (the framework) and the game opens/uses them on start up of sims3.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 17th Aug 2014 at 5:13 PM
Well something is wrong here I installed and played sims 3 With CC and different mods (including MasterController) on my previous computer without any problems. Not beeing English, maybe I don't explain my problems right.
Forum Resident
#11 Old 17th Aug 2014 at 5:17 PM Last edited by shmovese : 17th Aug 2014 at 5:46 PM.
yes agree. i am so sorry i dont know what you mean... lets start again - if you want:

1. is it possible that you just copy the old framework from your USB to the new computer? it was already unzipped and ready to use (as far as you said you are not new to using / setting up sims 3 - its only windows 8 thats the problem) using the old framework is ok IF your game was patched enough to use the new framework and if you put it to where it belongs under windows 8 i guess. also is/was your master controller and all the other mods you had for the right patch level?
if only master controller is not working you should ask the "creators" (the new nraas team) if theres a problem with this mod and windows 8 in special. its there concern to troubleshoot their mods.
also do you already have administrator rights for the programs you wanted to use but failed? and where you able to start sims 3 after installation? just sims 3 (no mods)? was it working?

if not i found these guides and reviews dealing with The Sims 3 and Windows 8 - installation (but all are english...)
http://computerbasicslearning.blogs...th-windows.html
http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3...-8/td-p/1655983

Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 17th Aug 2014 at 5:37 PM
yes agree. i am so sorry i dont know what you mean... whats your first language?

Norwegian
Forum Resident
#13 Old 17th Aug 2014 at 5:47 PM Last edited by shmovese : 17th Aug 2014 at 6:09 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by sjoslor
Norwegian

thats sweet...but i cant help you then oh my.
EDIT: not meaning at all - but i dont speak norwegian. so no mother tongue help pm session...

Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 17th Aug 2014 at 6:00 PM
thats sweet...but i cant help you then oh my.
WinRAR and 7zip are preinstalled on my computer, I do know that they both extract rar-files, can having both make a problem?

I'm not giving up because of languageproblems I'm going to live in Gran Canaria for 3 months, and sims 3 is my medisin against boring Nights
Forum Resident
#15 Old 17th Aug 2014 at 6:07 PM
i dont see a problem there (as i told you) but maybe you can disable one temporarily to find out? i have the framework on my computer and downloaded it a while ago. i only can find WinRAR on my computer (i thought i have 7zip too but cant find it) - so it seems i got it to work with WinRAR somehow ;-)

Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 17th Aug 2014 at 7:58 PM
i dont see a problem there (as i told you) but maybe you can disable one temporarily to find out? i have the framework on my computer and downloaded it a while ago. i only can find WinRAR on my computer (i thought i have 7zip too but cant find it) - so it seems i got it to work with WinRAR somehow ;-)

I removed my allready-installed WinRar, reinstalled it and now it's working Thanks for beeing there
Forum Resident
#17 Old 17th Aug 2014 at 8:00 PM
thats so good to hear!!!! awesome