Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Apr 2014 at 7:43 PM
Default UV map confusion
HI, I have tried to figure this one out on my own but i'm completely stuck. After finally getting the hang of basic meshing, I decided to try my new 'skills' out with a project aimed at me refining my skills, not to have something that I could upload. To this end I have created a belt in milkshape, and added all sorts of things to that belt, all of a reasonably similar size, and all from different other meshes. I have managed to attach them to the belt without distortion using extended manual edit; so far, so good. In the Texture co-ordinator however, all the different parts which I am adding to the belt are a completely different size. Some take up the whole of the UV map by themselves, others are a small speck in the corner. But in reality, they are all of similar size. I know that I can scale the entire UV map but this doesn't solve the issue of the pieces of the mesh being different. I also know that I can individually resize the parts in the UV map but I assume that this will completely mess up the texture.

I really don't know what the answer is. I presume that I am missing some really simple step out but I am totally stuck and on the point of giving up. Again.

Any advice would be extremely welcome.
Advertisement
Sockpuppet
#2 Old 7th Apr 2014 at 9:30 PM
Wat i usually do is to take a 1024x1024 texture and place the diffrent textures of the various parts on it.
I apply that texture as material in milkshape and move/scale the uvcoordinates of each individual meshpart till it fits its texture.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Apr 2014 at 9:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
Wat i usually do is to take a 1024x1024 texture and place the diffrent textures of the various parts on it.
I apply that texture as material in milkshape and move/scale the uvcoordinates of each individual meshpart till it fits its texture.

Thanks for the quick reply. That sounds totally logical now that you have said it but I thought I had to do the UV bit before the texture bit. I will try that and see how I go; thanks again