Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 2:35 PM
Default How do you recategorize Hairstyles and Clothes?
Basically, there's certain hairstyles from The Sims 3 Store which arent available for every category of clothing which is a pest. (i.e. they might only be available in everyday wear). There's also certain outfits which show up in categories they really shouldnt be in, such as shirt and trousers in the swimwear category. ¬_¬

Anyway, I want to learn how to recategorize these hairstyles and clothing. I've tried recategorizing a hairstyle from the store, but it didnt work.

What I did was I used a Sims 3 Pack multi installer to install both the bogged hairstyle, and one that did appear in all categories, onto my desktop.
I then worked out which file belonged to which hairstyle and looked at the Package Manifest xml file, using Lepid Llama Tools Postal program (similar to SimPE). At the bottom of the xml section there was a metatags section in the code with values for "bodypart", "outfittype" and "agegenderflags".
I copied the outfittype value from the working hairstyle, to the bogged one, and pressed Commit, then replaced the file for the hairstyle in the DCBackup folder with that one.

Unfortunately, it didnt work, and the hairstyle still only appeared in the everyday category. It was worth an experiment, but I dont know what else to try. I'm guessing it has something to do with the DCBackup folder and that I should have edited a file for it elsewhere. But I really don't know where to find it?

So my question is, how do I recategorize hairstyles and clothing from the store (or the game for that matter) and where are the store items installed via the laucher actually installed to?

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 8th Jun 2010 at 3:56 PM Last edited by Cocomama : 8th Jun 2010 at 8:17 PM. Reason: add info
This is something I want to do myself too. I had to search again, but found this information:
In the answers in this tutorial
Tutorial Adding Clothing to a Category (for beginners) http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=354639

Jonha answerred this:

Instead of selecting a mesh and adding designs, just open the package in CTU, change the categories as usual and use File->Safe.. instead of "Safe as...". If it's a sims3pack file, you need to unpack it first.

You already unpacked it to .package with Delphy's Multi-installer, so I think you can do it like this. Have not tryed it myself yet, maybe it will not work for hair.

I think you will have to un-install the hair from the game with the launcher, before you use your changed package.

Edit: Your packages are installed in the DCCache, but you cannot open that in Postal or S3PE and change/overwrite your package in there.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Jun 2010 at 2:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Cocomama
This is something I want to do myself too. I had to search again, but found this information:
In the answers in this tutorial
Tutorial Adding Clothing to a Category (for beginners) http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=354639

Jonha answerred this:

Instead of selecting a mesh and adding designs, just open the package in CTU, change the categories as usual and use File->Safe.. instead of "Safe as...". If it's a sims3pack file, you need to unpack it first.

You already unpacked it to .package with Delphy's Multi-installer, so I think you can do it like this. Have not tryed it myself yet, maybe it will not work for hair.

I think you will have to un-install the hair from the game with the launcher, before you use your changed package.

Edit: Your packages are installed in the DCCache, but you cannot open that in Postal or S3PE and change/overwrite your package in there.

Hmm I tried your suggestion. Only problem is it won't open the hairstyle I want to edit. I also tried the fauxhaux hairstyle from the store to see if it would open that, and it did. But not the one I want to edit. =O It comes up with an unhandled exception error saying "An item with the same key has already been added." =S
Inventor
#4 Old 9th Jun 2010 at 10:45 AM Last edited by Cocomama : 9th Jun 2010 at 7:39 PM. Reason: add info
I assume you already uninstalled that hair and deleted it from the DCBackup?

I did a test myself on this hair (All Banged Up) I bought in the Store: amHairSTORE02ShortBangs, its only categorized as Everyday now.
After using Delphy's Multi-installer, I tryed to open it in CTU, and it gives an error message (says something like its not a package) and I can only close CTU.
I think we will have to read everything in the CTU and Multi-installer thread, I am sure others have had the same troubles.

Edit: No, it is not mentioned in the 20 pages! of CTU.
Test Subject
#5 Old 3rd Dec 2010 at 11:07 AM
sorry if this is old news or something but i could not find an answer or even inquiry anywhere, except here. sim-wolf, i assume you got the error "no cas part file can be found in this package!" im getting it now and ive tried tried everything! ive used 3 different hairs exported from cas via the "share" option. ive exported them using delphys multi installer the package extractor and using the launcher and retrieving the files from my documents..\..dcbackup. ive also tried shortening the names on all the files and still get the above error every time. i have the framework, aswell as .net framework 2.0 and 3.5 and direcx 9.0c and 11. and it does open some package files just not single cas parts or at least single hair packages. how/did you fix it or does anyone know a way to fix this or what i am doing wrong? please and thank you
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#6 Old 3rd Dec 2010 at 1:50 PM
Store content uses a special encrypted format which unfortunately can't be opened by regular modding tools.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.