Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Oct 2013 at 3:07 PM
Default Questions about University
Quote from Wiki: "college graduates have a diploma that can be displayed on the bulkhead like a painting. These inventory items can be passed on to teen Sims going to college"

#1. What is a bulkhead and doesn't the diploma need to stay in inventory to be considered for a job?
#2, For what reason would a teen sim teen take another sim's diploma with them to Uni? Does it give any benefits?

Another question, does joining a Greek House give any benefits concerning studying skills? I swore I read that long ago but Wiki only mentions the benefits of various other things, nothing related to studies.

Does the Secret Society have a hat related to the uniform given to a joining member? Wiki mentions a Llama jacket and hat, I only know the uniform as a jacket and pants. I'm sure this is a mistake about the hat. Thanks!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 22nd Oct 2013 at 3:15 PM
The only question I can answer is probably the one you least cared about and the answer doesn't make sense anyway. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bulkhead?s=t

I should be in bed.
Theorist
#3 Old 22nd Oct 2013 at 3:22 PM
A "bulkhead" is the wall of a ship, and since there aren't any ships in the game, I'm guessing this is a mistranslation from another language. You can hang diplomas on the wall if you want to.

The diploma doesn't need to be in inventory to get the job benefits -- it just needs to exist.

You cannot put one sim's diploma in another sim's inventory. If you hung Grandma's diploma on the wall ant Grandma dies, then the diploma is there for eternity or until the family moves out or you knock down the wall. There would be no advantage to having someone else's diploma in your inventory anyway, even if it was possible.

I have never noticed any grade advantage to Sims in a Greek House. Secret Society sims have the option to hack their grades on the computer, but a Greek House just gets you free pizza.

There is no hat in the Secret Society uniform. It's a full-body outfit with maroon pants and a black blazer with a llama on the breast.

Sounds like the wiki could use some editing!

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Mad Poster
#4 Old 22nd Oct 2013 at 3:22 PM
"Bulkhead" is the nautical term for wall. No idea what that editor was thinking, but I'm gonna guess this is an English-as-second-language issue.

I have lots of sims with diplomas on their walls and they get the same options as sims with diplomas in inventory. Sims upgraded with the batbox to mimic college grads (as you might want to do with people like the Curious Boys who ought to have degrees but don't because of being created before University was available) get these same options. As far as I know, the diploma that hangs on the wall is cosmetic. I know of no benefits to passing it on, but - try it and find out!

The Greek House gives no study benefits. You're presumably either misremembering what you read, or read some BS. Lord knows it happens. The benefits of joining a Greek are living in the house, going to campus to pick up random items (mostly pizza but also furniture, art, and electronic items), and throwing toga parties.

A number of baseball hats in the hair section have llamas on them, including a black one, but I've never seen one on a secret society member.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#5 Old 22nd Oct 2013 at 4:21 PM
I have my own question about University. It's an EP I've thought about trying to get, but I don't think it would suit my playstyle. I normally play with aging off. A week in my game is usually just a week. I understand that university works with short semesters only a few days long. In view of the way I play with something close to real time, I would expect my Sims to be students for a long time. (I was a student for about 6 years myself.) Is it possible to play University that way, or are you stuck with the short semesters? I feel mean towards my knowledge teens if I don't let them go to university, but I couldn't cope with a system where you have to either graduate or be expelled only a few days after you start. Is it possible to play University with aging off, and just keep them students indefinitely?
Mad Poster
#6 Old 22nd Oct 2013 at 4:29 PM
The semesters go by hours, not the students age so I doubt aging off would prevent the student from being advanced to the next semester. Each semester is 72 hours and at the end of the 72 hours your Sim either goes on to the next semester if they have good enough grades, or get put on academic probation and have to redo the semester if their grades are below a certain line. If they are on academic probation they either have to get above the line in the next 72 hours or get expelled if their grades are still not above the line.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 22nd Oct 2013 at 4:51 PM
Also, time runs differently between University and the main hood. You have eight semesters of 72 hours to work with, plus 72 hours of grace at the end during which the student has no classes and can either pick up a phone and go back to the hood, throw a grad party and go back to the hood, or hang around taking advantage of the freedom and the benefits of University until the programming physically grabs them and throws them off campus.

Most of us who play rotations have to adjust either the semesters or the rotations in order to keep University from lasting absurdly long in comparison to the main hood. I have some sims in Drama Acres who are way out of synch with their siblings because I didn't adjust my rotations. I usually find that three days, or one semester (the semester clock keeps running on community lots at University, so semesters and days don't synch up either, and it's possible for students who live in the same building and arrived at the same time to go to finals on different days and get entire semesters out of synch, if you don't work to prevent it), at college for every one day in the hood works out well.

Most people find University takes too long, and there's a hack that allows you to adjust the semester length; I don't know whether you can make them longer as well as shorter, but I bet you can, as people who've changed their sim lifespans might well want to do that. But I recommend you get the game (you'll love having these teen boys of yours at the Greek) and experiment with the game as-is, perhaps in a test neighborhood or a premade you don't normally play, before deciding whether, and which, hacks you might want to apply to it. I adore University myself because of the sprawling expanse of time it gives me to wallow in story and character.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#8 Old 22nd Oct 2013 at 5:03 PM
http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...php?topic=134.0

Clock that allows you to mess with the college timer.
Theorist
Original Poster
#9 Old 22nd Oct 2013 at 5:16 PM
I know about Uni, it's just the reading up on info and finding things I hadn't seen before, or wasn't sure if I missed something. I did think there was a benefit from Greek Houses that boosted the speed of study skills slightly but couldn't really remember. Not that playables need a boost by the time they get there. I've run very successful male and greek houses at Rank6. They can be a lot of fun. Uni does seem to drag on at times but it's such a nice break from the usual neighborhood lives. Since all my sims don't graduate at the same time, there is always the choice to go back and forth. Thanks for all the helpful replies!

I'm still learning about windows 8 before loading up Sims2. Although I probably should just restore my old Vista and use it just for sims since it has a broken internet connection. Reading up and refreshing my memory about things will help to get a quicker start. The Stories are so limited in things to occupy time.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 22nd Oct 2013 at 5:34 PM
Do your self a favor and get Windows 7 for that vista machine.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Field Researcher
#11 Old 22nd Oct 2013 at 6:48 PM
Peni's hit the nail on the head re: my thoughts on Uni.

I love the time to have my sims develop relationships (esp. romantic ones) and wide circles of friends. I couldn't stand the 72-hour semester though, it was just insanely long. Once I adjusted that to 36 hours (I tried 48 at first but still found it too long), I really enjoy Uni and everyone goes there - I currently have a class of 42 students, having just graduated 20 students.

Uni's also where I introduce new sims (save Maxis pre-mades), I prefer to only make young adults in CAS, so they can come to Uni and leave with friends, lovers and skills.

I play longer rotations than most of you, it seems (one week from M800am-the following M759a), so the 36-hr semester fairly neatly forms a 2yr on campus "week" - so everybody spends two weeks on campus before heading back to town and rejoining their families or starting new ones.