Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Apr 2014 at 4:42 AM
Default What Major to chose?
I have a sim with very high interest in.."fashion" Nothing seems to be of interests besides that, if I look at her interests panel...
She did roll a want for literature...but I am not sure.
I usually have a goal for them, an ideal career, or just base everything on their LTW. But Raphaelle is a family sim, and all she wants is..have 6 grandchildren. Okay!
She might want to stay home uh finally? with a pretty degree for decoration purposes.
My daughter, told me to chose Stylist career..but it is not amongst the major vs. career thing, so I have no clue what major to chose for her.
Any idea?
By the way, completely unrelated..EA gave us a hard time creating sims who looks old right?
Raphaelle looks like a 12-13 year old..not my fault, I just used randomized to shake genetic a bit, before a birth...and I ended up keeping her. lol

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Advertisement
Link Ninja
#2 Old 18th Apr 2014 at 4:48 AM Last edited by Charmful : 18th Apr 2014 at 5:02 AM.
A couple years ago I posted in the 'how do you keep the game interesting' where I associated all 'interests' to a 'major' and associated 'career' and included related hobbies to the interest - for Fashion I attributed that interest into a Drama major because they might be more into the costuming department for theater productions instead of actual acting.

Here is the link for reference

Also maybe she wants to be a literature major so she can be a fashion magazine editor? Or a prominent stylist blogger from home? You could probably find a few ways to tie her wants and interests together in college! :p

OR she could major in business and then when she graduates take up sewing or open a fashion boutique!

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Theorist
#3 Old 18th Apr 2014 at 4:50 AM
It doesn't matter. Obviously, she is just in college to get her M.R.S., so anything will be fine.* Pick the major with the cutest professors. If she rolls a want for a major, go with that.

*For non-Americans, when you say that someone is in college for her "M.R.S.," you're saying that she's only in college to find a husband. MRS looks like Mrs., which is what you write in front of a woman's name to indicate that she is a married lady. Back when some women went to college for that goal and that goal only, women who wanted an MRS often didn't have a career goal in mind when picking a major -- they'd just choose something that looked fun, or that was a good way to meet guys.

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 18th Apr 2014 at 5:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by esmeiolanthe
It doesn't matter. Obviously, she is just in college to get her M.R.S., so anything will be fine.* Pick the major with the cutest professors. If she rolls a want for a major, go with that.
*For non-Americans, when you say that someone is in college for her "M.R.S.," you're saying that she's only in college to find a husband. MRS looks like Mrs., which is what you write in front of a woman's name to indicate that she is a married lady. Back when some women went to college for that goal and that goal only, women who wanted an MRS often didn't have a career goal in mind when picking a major -- they'd just choose something that looked fun, or that was a good way to meet guys.

Funny. I never heard of that term..lol
But I already know with whom she'll end up...Sam will be the perfect guy, and he finished college...waiting, hoping for a girl just like her. Will they meet on the sidewalk? who cares? ahah. They will meet.

Quote: Originally posted by Charmful
A couple years ago I posted in the 'how do you keep the game interesting' where I associated all 'interests' to a 'major' and associated 'career' and included related hobbies to the interest - for Fashion I attributed that interest into a Drama major because they might be more into the costuming department for theater productions instead of actual acting.

Here is the link for reference

Also maybe she wants to be a literature major so she can be a fashion magazine editor? Or a prominent stylist blogger from home? You could probably find a few ways to tie her wants and interests together in college! :p

OR she could major in business and then when she graduates take up sewing or open a fashion boutique!

Thank you. I read that thread of yours

I like the idea of a sewing machine and home business.
But how a sim become a fashion magazine editor or a prominent stylist blogger ?

Link Ninja
#5 Old 18th Apr 2014 at 5:19 AM
The latter was just using your imagination to connect a fashion interest with a desire to major in literature.

BUT if she majors in Literature and goes onto the journalism career track she has to climb a ways but level nine of that career track is magazine editor. YOU decide what magazine she edits for and if she has fashion as her main interest well by golly she's editing for 'Elle Sims'

With some imagination and finagling if you build up the art's and crafts hobby (via the sewing machine, your sim will be able to 'blog about arts and crafts'(fashion in this case) now she won't get money off that alone but if you have her build up the fortune in secondary aspiration she should basically get free money every so often from investments, on top of that building her reputation to a high positive you can just round those three things up and call her a prominent style blogger.

Also if she's more into staying home (because of family) you could have her write fashion-centric novels - sticking with the literature major there but she can do that with any major.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Lab Assistant
#6 Old 18th Apr 2014 at 5:34 AM
Art might be a good choice -- if she's interested in fashion, she could run her own clothing shop and sell outfits she makes herself. The Art major would have her focus a lot of her skilling on creativity, which I believe helps build the Sewing badge faster. Running her own business would also give her the freedom to have that large family she wants, since she could set her own hours and even work from home!
Mad Poster
#7 Old 18th Apr 2014 at 5:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charmful
BUT if she majors in Literature and goes onto the journalism career track she has to climb a ways but level nine of that career track is magazine editor. YOU decide what magazine she edits for and if she has fashion as her main interest well by golly she's editing for 'Elle Sims'

I couldn't agree more! A sandbox game like the Sims works in part because it already gives you so many options via the game itself, but just like a real-world dollhouse, the virtual dollhouse of the Sims can expand by orders of magnitude if you allow yourself a little creative license when it comes to playing it! As another example, I probably have a dozen "business tycoons" in various penthouses and mansions throughout my city, but aside from the two who cooperated to launch the SimValley technology giant "MicroSim," I treat them all as having wildly different jobs- some run automotive dealerships, some manage the entertainment industry, some are stockbrokers and hedge fund managers... even though they all technically have the same career! Let yourself have fun adding things to the game, even if no one can see it but you!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 18th Apr 2014 at 5:49 AM
woah..me got SO much to learn.

#9 Old 18th Apr 2014 at 2:41 PM
There are multiple ways I would go about this, depending on what expansion packs you have.
For me, if a sim's LTW is not career related, the next step I take in deciding their major is by looking at their predestined hobby, because hobbies play a bigger role in my sims' lives than interests. But since we're going with interests, there are multiple things you can do with a sim into fashion.
I think her opening up a business sounds like a great plan. She could sell things she sewed or have a salon and give people makeovers. Since there is a Business career, I would pick one of the majors associated with that career so it would be like a business school.
If you don't plan on opening a business then I would assign her an art related major- I know there's a drama major but is there one just for art? If she does drama it can be like how someone above said previously, costume design. Or if she does the art one (which I'm not sure exists lol) it could just be regular clothing designing. And simply if you play by wants just give her the major she wants.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 18th Apr 2014 at 3:03 PM
There is an Art major. It's good for a number of future careers.

I would have given her the one she rolled a want for, myself. If you go Undeclared till Junior year, the registrar assigns you to Philosophy, "because you clearly like to think about things a long time."

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 18th Apr 2014 at 6:28 PM
I gave her just what she rolled for, literature.
She needs to build up creativity skill for it, so it is awesome.
I still have time to decide....what will her revenue be made of. Her predestined hobby is tinkering, her future hubby has the same, it is cute.