Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Apr 2014 at 5:34 AM
Default A baby on campus...advices please.
Ok, so before I run into problems, I'd like your opinions/game experiences on this.
I have already played with YAs who had baby on campus. But I played long enough so the baby aged up to a child..the school bus would come and all, and I had no troubles getting all the little family back to main hood when I was ready to do so.

But still, I've heard bad stories about babies not being moved to main hood along with the mother.
All the YA's I am playing now, are all about to be done college..and I might not be able to wait until a baby would age to child before moving them back to main hood.
Yes..I could wait..but it is much more fun to play unplanned.

I have the cat statue from Simlogical..so I guess, if ever a baby would be left on campus, once moved back i could summon him back?

I'd like to read what you have to say.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 9th Apr 2014 at 6:26 AM
If you want to be sure of safety, graduate the parent, leaving another playable YA in the household with the kid, move the parent into a lot in the main hood, use the teleporter to move the baby/toddler/child into the parent's new household, then go back to uni and graduate the other YA.
Usually when I have babies on campus the parents are either married or the custodial parent isn't the only playable YA in the household, so there's no risk of social worker at graduation.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Apr 2014 at 7:50 AM
Thank you. yes, I do have Inteen, I'd rather not play without it.
My only concern was baby & toddlers. As I never had problems with children. I won't play long enough on campus, to see them age to teens..woah...imagine how long studying would take?
I was more thinking of..a YA, who didn't expected a pregnancy while on campus..and then moving mom, dad and baby back to main hood. If there is no troubles moving babies/toddlers around, then I'll try.

Field Researcher
#4 Old 9th Apr 2014 at 8:13 AM
Inteen will move the baby out with a parent. Usually the last parent to leave. So if, for example you have mom, dad and baby, mom graduates and moves back to the hood, dad and baby are left on campus. When dad graduates and moves out, the baby goes with him. (or toddler, or child, whichever, it works the same for all age groups)
Field Researcher
#5 Old 9th Apr 2014 at 8:19 AM
I've had several toddlers at college with their parents, although never older than toddler, since I keep turn aging off most of the time to keep them in-line with kids born on the same day in the main hood. It's always happened that the toddler would disappear when the second parent called for a taxi, and then turn up in the family bin with them back in the main hood. I think that only happened because the parents were the only two in the household - I presume that if there were more people in the household, the toddler would've stayed with them, so so long as the parents and baby are living alone, or you move them into their own residence just before they graduate, it should work fine.

♫Cuz I don't have a home in this life, I have to roam. Got nowhere to lay my head, so I'll follow you instead, and set my gaze on the place I'm going to. Til then I'm homeless, but I'll roam with you...♫

My Simblr: http://natteryaktoad.tumblr.com
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 9th Apr 2014 at 1:14 PM
I have No Finals at night & Majors made easier. Since forever..so I do not even know how fast it goes normally...I do not remember. I am just used to this now.
I just think having teens in uni while you are a YA yourself looks bad. Not saying it is not feasible, but this would mean you took 15 years to finish your college. no thanks. lol
I actually love that they have teen voices..and the way they walk leisurely...If i could, I would set some of my adult sims to walk this way too. Would create a bit of diversity.

Mad Poster
#7 Old 9th Apr 2014 at 3:22 PM
Yay, somebody likes the YA walk that I can't even detect!

College time only seems long in relation to the main hood if you insist on day-day equivalency. Time moves differently in college because the composite days have a lot less time to cover, so you get more fine detail. Since college was not designed to accommodate starting a family on campus - YAs are infertile without a mod - of course problems arise if you try to do it. It's up to the player to synch college to the rest of the hood in a way that's comfortable for her; and, when adding such a drastic mod, to adjust her playstyle around the change.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 9th Apr 2014 at 7:15 PM
My YA's can be pregnant just as any other adults, because of Inteen yes. But there is no such thing needed as synch college to the rest of the hood. YA's who will finish school and move back to main hood..would do so with or without a baby. They just started their family before other adults, this is all. That changes nothing to their own age.
They become adults at the same starting point as any other adults out of CAS. The only difference is, they lived before, they have a story already

Undead Molten Llama
#9 Old 9th Apr 2014 at 7:40 PM
I have Inteen and YA's have babies all the time, via alien abduction, more often than not. I have never had one left behind when the parent(s) has graduated or dropped out. So, I wouldn't worry about that.

I DO worry about the age of the kid, though, because I play families such that some kids go to college and some don't. It's kind of weird if a younger sibling comes back from college with a teenage child while their older siblings, who started families at the same time but didn't go to college still have toddlers or young children at best. So what I do is extend pregnancies in Uni. I use the SimBlender to suspend/resume the pregnancy, stretching it out so that it takes 5 days for a "human" pregnancy or 7 days for an alien one. (Because I figure, "Hey, they're aliens. They've got longer gestation periods.") I've modded my college semesters so that they're two days long each, so even if the pixel is impregnated on their very first day of college, their kid won't be older than a child by the time they graduate...which barely makes sense, but makes more sense than the kid being a teen. Yes, I could mess around with turning aging off instead, but I seem to have better luck remembering to suspend/resume pregnancies, I guess because the "pops" are visual reminders that, "Hey, I need to turn it off for a couple of days now."

In any case, this is what works for me, and it keeps kid ages better in sync with the kids back in the main neighborhood, so that I don't have toddlers who have teenage nieces/nephews. I'm OK with dealing with that sort of thing with vampire families where the immortal patriarchs/matriarchs keep poppin' 'em out, but for me it doesn't sit as well with the human families.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 9th Apr 2014 at 7:48 PM
I created a..a..."love shack" ? for my young adults, while on campus. In their proper dorms, no one have a double bed..
So For all their needs, wants, I made a cute Bed & Breakfast community lot. But I have risky woohoo..for fun-makings. I am still asking myself how many sim days they take for college, but that's ok.
I'll use the sim blender to pause any pregnancy if ever in the future I need this to be done. I didn't know i could, thanks.

Scholar
#11 Old 9th Apr 2014 at 10:00 PM
I've thought about a story line involving one of my sims having a baby in college. But if I did, it would be like in their junior or senior year, because it would be weird for them to be graduating with like an almost teenage child.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 10th Apr 2014 at 1:59 AM
(no inteen) I cheated to get a Sim pregnant, let her have the baby (in a dorm); didn't realize when she left the baby would be left behind. Mostly the baby was left on the floor and ignored, but I thing random students would feed. In MY game the baby never aged! Nor was the baby taken away, but I have "no social worker" so don't know if this is usual. I finally had the mom "add to family" (even though she never thought about or wanted to interact with her abandoned baby!)

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13 Old 10th Apr 2014 at 3:21 AM
How sad...
Yeah..it's been a while since I've read about babies left on campus. Thinking of it now, it must have been before Inteen (or any other mod that allows YA-Teens pregnancy)
But then, since it has been a while I played, with Inteen, with YA pregnancy..I was a bit confused. lol

Field Researcher
#14 Old 11th Apr 2014 at 2:57 AM
@this thread: ...I'll just leave this image here. I know it's probably not the answer the OP was looking for and it's an old-ass image that originated with Pescado, but I think it sums up this thread very well:

Screenshots

When noregen hacks are not enough...you know what you must do. (RIP Mootilda , pay your respects in the thread and in her guestbook.)
Instructor
#15 Old 11th Apr 2014 at 3:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MattieOReilly
Inteen will move the baby out with a parent. Usually the last parent to leave. So if, for example you have mom, dad and baby, mom graduates and moves back to the hood, dad and baby are left on campus. When dad graduates and moves out, the baby goes with him. (or toddler, or child, whichever, it works the same for all age groups)

Wow, that's really helpful! I never knew that, actually. It's all done automatically? I've always strayed away from having my Sims have kids while at college for the simple fear of having the kid be lost when they graduate. Not that this really changes anything, I use college as time for my Sims to really develop their personalities, and be grown up without kids.

Just so I put my two cents in, I cycle every college year for a season, so Sims are at college for 20 days. I then added 20 days to the adult stage (which I skip if they went to college, if not, they get those twenty days so everyone has the same amount) and then added 15 days to elders so they can have some time to meet their grandkids.

I might one day finish my Zanes Hollow project, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Until then, you can see what I'm up to on my Simblr!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#16 Old 11th Apr 2014 at 6:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ijustneedsomeeyes
@this thread: ...I'll just leave this image here. I know it's probably not the answer the OP was looking for and it's an old-ass image that originated with Pescado, but I think it sums up this thread very well:

As long as you do not go around and repost this in every thread that mentioned Inteen, we should survive without feeling too guilty.
Who is Pescado..again?