Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
transmogrified
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Mar 2011 at 12:13 AM
Default What's your favorite profession?
I was painfully bored by the tutorial and the actions/interactions available to a level-one monarch. Again, no excitement from the Jacoban and Peteran priests. Then I placed a physician and kind of fell a little in love with Sims Medieval. I love crafting and collecting much more than fighting, and wish I could have started the game with a character that entertains me. If I'm reading the booklet correctly, every kingdom -- every ambition -- is going to have to start with a monarch. Which is too bad, since a township could start with "normal" townsfolk (merchants and blacksmiths and physicians) and then a monarch later rises to power.

Okay, gripe begone!

What are your favorite professions in the game, and did any professions become distinctly more enjoyable as your hero leveled up?

Remindery list: monarch, bard, blacksmith, Jacoban priest, knight, merchant, Peteran priest, physician, spy, wizard
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 31st Mar 2011 at 1:15 AM
For some strange reason I like blacksmith the best, partly because I created him exactly the way I wanted to, in looks as well as in character, partly because he is the only hero who can make real life things (well, mostly anyway) and partly because I like the mini game. As it happens he is also the richest Sim in my game ATM.

The physician is a close second. The king seems quite tedious to me too.
Test Subject
#3 Old 31st Mar 2011 at 1:15 AM Last edited by Cora99 : 31st Mar 2011 at 9:56 AM.
I like the collecting and crafting a lot, too. I agree, the doctor really is fun to play. The blacksmith is also cool, the things he learns to make as he gets better and better are pretty amazing. The wizard is awsome to watch as he/she casts spells, he/she is one of my favorites so far. I hate the merchant! You have to talk customers into buying your wares, but that won't work until you have established a really good relationship with them, and then they will buy one onion. One! You purchased it for 3 simoles, and have now sold it for five. Wow. I wound up calling my poor merchant all sorts of names and try to avoid playing her like the plague ;-)
Test Subject
#4 Old 31st Mar 2011 at 1:16 AM
My favorite is a tie between the Wizard and the Jacobean. The magic and the spell variety is so great, better than in Sims 1 or 2. But I also love the intimidating nature of the Jacobean profession. My sims also seem to prefer this "religion" over Peteran.

My least favorite profession is probably the Merchant. It's so hard to make decent money selling produce and it's also a hassle going between the Shoppe and foreign territories.
Test Subject
#5 Old 31st Mar 2011 at 1:43 AM
My favorite is defenetly the wizard. Love it when he hits his head whit the staff to forget spells
Also love his stuff and everything he gets to do in the game. Dont like the merchant - to much work for me
Other than that - just love TSM
Test Subject
#6 Old 31st Mar 2011 at 2:32 AM
The Priest jobs, always enjoyed playing those on the GuildII also, out of the two probably the Jacoban priest is my favourite
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 31st Mar 2011 at 2:36 AM
Spy is my #1. I like the physician, monarch, and the bard too. Those are my top, but I ♥ them all.... but, like everyone before me, I have problems with the merchant.
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 31st Mar 2011 at 3:06 AM
I like the wizard the best. S/he can collect herbs AND ore, can cast spells, and can make potions. Those spells can be used for offense, for healing, for all kinds of things. It seems like the wizard can do a wider variety of things than anybody else.

I've made some mods for The Sims 1 -- yes, The Sims ONE :-) -- which you can find at http://corylea.com/Sims1ModsByCorylea.html
Test Subject
#9 Old 31st Mar 2011 at 4:24 AM
The thing for Merchants is you shouldn't go buy the low priced stuff, since yeah you won't turn much of a profit. Their Responsibilities are terrible though. Once they get some levels though, they just rake in money hand over fist because they can just Gussy Up > Hustle and probably sell right then and there with a "High" success.

I like Blacksmith though. I kind of wish there was MORE to craft, or some used up more materials. I end up with way more then I'd use.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 31st Mar 2011 at 4:42 AM Last edited by VegaBlack : 31st Mar 2011 at 4:54 AM.
My kingdoms keep ending before I can fully explore all the professions and the freetime quest is just not worth it to play until it's fixed by a patch or modded. I gotta say though, so far I LOVE the wizards and I haven't even gotten through half the spells they can do yet. Blacksmith and merchant come in second, I love the OFB mini-game they have. Spy's pretty cool, because she gets to do a little of everything. Priests were boring to me until I started playing them evil and crooked. Haven't really explored the rest that much, I usually blow through their quests as fast as I can so I can get back to the professions I like.

ETA: Tip for people who say they don't like the merchant because they don't make a lot. Sail to other lands and trade! You'll make more with foreign goods. Also, some of the quests give them opportunities to make a ton as well. (I don't remember what the quest was called but I sold an "enchanted dream pendant" for 10 grand!)
Scholar
#11 Old 31st Mar 2011 at 5:03 AM
I started out liking the Monarch quite a bit; liked sending anyone who even looked at me cross-eyed to the stocks or even the pit (evil laugh), but the Monarch did start to get old. I like the blacksmith (forging new items and hammering away), and the physician is cool too; I love how they diagnose Sims and medicate them on the operating table; my docs always turn out kooky boho - which I love, lol...

My fave two at the moment though are the Wizard and the Jacoban priest. I tried playing Peteran, but all that peaceful coercion got stale; the Jacobans are more in your face; 'convert or die!'
And now that I know the Wizard can forge at the smithy's, and make a new staff with the stuff they've collected, it's only endeared them to me all the more... made myself a whole new Wizard-dude (see avatar, lol) and am enjoying playing him very much!

...Titanium white...
Inventor
#12 Old 31st Mar 2011 at 5:10 AM
My favorite to play is the Blacksmith and my second favorite is the Doctor. They get to make things and I like all the collecting they get to do.

You can find my Sims 3 Mods at TFM's Sims Asylum .
Field Researcher
#13 Old 31st Mar 2011 at 8:28 AM
I like the Monarch, Physician and Spy the most. Spy sometimes has awful responsibilities though....I've never been able to release someone from stocks without failing and ending up right beside the poor sod. I think once I get the hang of it I'll like the Wizard too since he can gather everything.
Forum Resident
#14 Old 31st Mar 2011 at 9:30 AM
Is it just me or did they completely neglect the Knight class?

The knight has nothing exclusive what no other sim can do, the monarch can do everything the knight can do. Furthermore their living quarters are too small, that bedroom should be bigger to be able to support a family, and their available costumes are utter rubbish.
Hardly anything of it strikes me as a knightly outfit. The only thing that comes close is the guard uniform. I want them to get that armor with surcoat that is often seen on the promotional material, with the short cape. One of the leaders from another country seems to wear it. Is there any way to unlock that or any other good knightly outfits? Not even with the DisableClothingFilter cheat is there anything good for them.

Also, the available helmets to them are a soldier's helmet and an anchient corinthian looking helmet. Why not a great helm or chain coil?

As for abilities, they should be able to do more with soldiers, executioners and such considering that they are supposed to command them. Like at least be able to change their uniforms, send a soldier off to patrol a road instead of having to do it himself, etc.
Instructor
#15 Old 31st Mar 2011 at 10:40 AM
I enjoy playing the spy and the wizard most. They are both crafting and collecting things, and Im happy the way they both turned out after I created them. I also like the monarch very much since the castle is alway a very social place full of interesting sims. The "hunt and kill bear"-thing gets a bit repetitive, though.

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory. "
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 31st Mar 2011 at 11:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sirah81
Spy sometimes has awful responsibilities though....I've never been able to release someone from stocks without failing and ending up right beside the poor sod.

Yeah, how do you actually succeed with this?

My favorites are the monarch, the bard and the physician.

If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?
Forum Resident
#17 Old 31st Mar 2011 at 12:17 PM
I think that in order to be successful of releasing someone from the stocks, there must be no witnesses around. I could be wrong though. But that's how my spy succeeded.
Scholar
#18 Old 31st Mar 2011 at 12:24 PM
wizard but it annoy that you run out of energy when teleport a lot
Instructor
#19 Old 31st Mar 2011 at 1:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sirah81
I like the Monarch, Physician and Spy the most. Spy sometimes has awful responsibilities though....I've never been able to release someone from stocks without failing and ending up right beside the poor sod. I think once I get the hang of it I'll like the Wizard too since he can gather everything.

The trick is to do it when the constapel or sheriff or whatever hes called, turnes his back. And then run!

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory. "
Test Subject
#20 Old 31st Mar 2011 at 2:17 PM
So far my favorite is the Blacksmith. As other people have said, I like that he can craft and gather - and crafting goods is sort of like a mini-game. I also like him because no one seems to ever go upstairs to his living quarters unlike just about every other lot!

As for the Spy - I had my one success when I broke someone out in the wee hours - like 1AM, no one seemed to be around at that point.
Scholar
#21 Old 31st Mar 2011 at 2:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ToRnado
wizard but it annoy that you run out of energy when teleport a lot

I kinda cheat with that one - with TCE running in my game, I shift+click and Teleport - costs no energy ... I've taken to just using it with my Wizard alone; everyone else has to walk, lol

...Titanium white...
Scholar
#22 Old 31st Mar 2011 at 3:53 PM
but i have to push shift each time is annoying.
Test Subject
#23 Old 31st Mar 2011 at 4:13 PM
So much hate for the knight. XP I actually really like the knight, just because it's really easy. Monarch and spy are up there.

I really can't stand the merchant. It's just so different and I don't enjoy buying and selling items. I also don't like the Bard but I'll play her (I just don't like having to get inspirations before I write something).
Test Subject
#24 Old 31st Mar 2011 at 4:25 PM
Blacksmith.. Though I have a long history with this profession from other games, sooo I might be a tiny bit biased here XD
Also everyone who can go and hunt/patrol (Mystic Metal Fragments! Unicorns! notso Skittish blue elves!).
The only profession I can't quite get to even like is the merchant. It's soo... unusable? (Need some strategies to that one XD)
Forum Resident
#25 Old 31st Mar 2011 at 7:31 PM
Well I like the idea of a knight class and suspected it would be my favorite class, but EA really neglected this class to the extreme.

You don't get to be a knight, you seem to just be one of the guards. They might as well have called it the guard proffesion.
Page 1 of 2