Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

Theme Seasons and Celebrations - posted on 1st Oct 2017 at 1:52 PM
Replies: 41 (Who?), Viewed: 5380 times.
Page 1 of 2
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Jun 2017 at 5:48 AM Last edited by heaven : 19th Jun 2017 at 2:11 PM.
Default Game Traits of real diagnoses
First of all; I did not mean to have this trait taken down. I just meant to have it be more clear; that this was not displaying those on the antisocial spectrum correctly!. Have it be made clear; that it was displaying some parts of the antisocial trait(s) but not all and that it was basically just portraying an evil person, instead of an actual antisocial person..
Why?: Because we are far more complex than this trait could ever portray/display.. We are not all without a conscience and we are not the stereotypically portrayed sociopaths, psychopaths etc that the media and very many others wishes for us to be, because it is apparently easier for them to process; if all with the antisocial trait(s) are just downright evilminded and simple!...
I am sorry if me being vocal about my concerns and my being sick of seeing stereotypical portrays of the antisocial and those with any other kind of mental condition, disorder or illness; has in any way gotten the creator of this trait into trouble.
My intention was to point out to them, that it is wrong to wrongfully display a certain group of people; without actually mentioning that this was the case (that they were being displayed in a fictional way) in the describtion!..

With that having been said; I just would like to add; that naming it antisocial mastermind; doesn't make it any less harmful; unless it is mentioned in the describtion that this is meant to be a humorous take on it all and a fictional take on it and not actually meant to display, what it actually means to be on the antisocial spectrum!..

Thank you very much... I hope this comment is not seen badly or taken in the wrong way... I love traits that are centered around mental health and I would actually have downloaded this; if it had mentioned that it was a fictional take on it all, instead of displaying it this way.. But yeah... That might just be me...

Edit by heaven: split from Anti-social Trait download thread. You may continue the discussion here.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 18th Jun 2017 at 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reitanna
I think it was unfair to have the original trait taken down and forced the creator to rename it. I think a sociopath trait would be just fine, it just needed to be more accurate. I feel like this is censorship. I mean, there are traits for ADHD and autism, as well as other mental illnesses, very controversial, but they remain (I'M not complaining about them, of course). still, though, that's my opinion on the matter.


No one was saying that we shouldn't have controversial traits. Everyone, including myself, was just commenting that the trait was inaccurate, and it's really irresponsible to knowingly spread misinformation about mental illness, which is what the creator was doing, given that they acknowledged it was unrealistic and still didn't care. I think most people would agree it's fine to have a sociopath trait, the point is that it should be accurate.
If a name being changed on a sims 4 mod is 'censorship' to you, I think you need to reevaluate what serious censorship actually is. The trait is still here for everyone to download and explore.
Theorist
#3 Old 18th Jun 2017 at 3:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinen
My intention was to point out to them, that it is wrong to wrongfully display a certain group of people; without actually mentioning that this was the case (that they were being displayed in a fictional way) in the describtion!..

With that having been said; I just would like to add; that naming it antisocial mastermind; doesn't make it any less harmful; unless it is mentioned in the describtion that this is meant to be a humorous take on it all and a fictional take on it and not actually meant to display, what it actually means to be on the antisocial spectrum!..

Thank you very much... I hope this comment is not seen badly or taken in the wrong way... I love traits that are centered around mental health and I would actually have downloaded this; if it had mentioned that it was a fictional take on it all, instead of displaying it this way.. But yeah... That might just be me...


First of all; it is a video game. It is intended to be displayed in a fictional way whether that is expressly stated or not.

As someone on the autism spectrum, I find your protection of people with mental disorders more harmful than content like this because you're treating us as though we're precious, helpless things that can't bear to be hurt. I am a fully (mostly) functional adult with the same rights and abilities as any other human being on the planet and I do not now, nor do I ever need to be protected from someone's innocent, non malevolent creativity.

You say you love traits that are centred on mental illnesses but your words and actions speak to the opposite as you complain about their perfection and accuracy. If you don't like something someone has created for the game, you have the choice to not download it, as does everyone else who visits this site.

Now, thank you very much... I hope this comment is not seen badly or taken in the wrong way... I love the work that people do around this site, it is the only reason I bothered to play the game before Toddlers and Parenthood, and I don't want to see creators' content being bullied by over-zealous SJWs.. but yeah... That might just me be...
Test Subject
#4 Old 18th Jun 2017 at 4:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShigemiNotoge
First of all; it is a video game. It is intended to be displayed in a fictional way whether that is expressly stated or not.

As someone on the autism spectrum, I find your protection of people with mental disorders more harmful than content like this because you're treating us as though we're precious, helpless things that can't bear to be hurt. I am a fully (mostly) functional adult with the same rights and abilities as any other human being on the planet and I do not now, nor do I ever need to be protected from someone's innocent, non malevolent creativity.

You say you love traits that are centred on mental illnesses but your words and actions speak to the opposite as you complain about their perfection and accuracy. If you don't like something someone has created for the game, you have the choice to not download it, as does everyone else who visits this site.

Now, thank you very much... I hope this comment is not seen badly or taken in the wrong way... I love the work that people do around this site, it is the only reason I bothered to play the game before Toddlers and Parenthood, and I don't want to see creators' content being bullied by over-zealous SJWs.. but yeah... That might just me be...

I agree 100%. It's not just you.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 18th Jun 2017 at 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinen
First of all; I did not mean to have this trait taken down. I just meant to have it be more clear; that this was not displaying those on the antisocial spectrum correctly!. Have it be made clear; that it was displaying some parts of the antisocial trait(s) but not all and that it was basically just portraying an evil person, instead of an actual antisocial person..
Why?: Because we are far more complex than this trait could ever portray/display.. We are not all without a conscience and we are not the stereotypically portrayed sociopaths, psychopaths etc that the media and very many others wishes for us to be, because it is apparently easier for them to process; if all with the antisocial trait(s) are just downright evilminded and simple!...
I am sorry if me being vocal about my concerns and my being sick of seeing stereotypical portrays of the antisocial and those with any other kind of mental condition, disorder or illness; has in any way gotten the creator of this trait into trouble.
My intention was to point out to them, that it is wrong to wrongfully display a certain group of people; without actually mentioning that this was the case (that they were being displayed in a fictional way) in the describtion!..

With that having been said; I just would like to add; that naming it antisocial mastermind; doesn't make it any less harmful; unless it is mentioned in the describtion that this is meant to be a humorous take on it all and a fictional take on it and not actually meant to display, what it actually means to be on the antisocial spectrum!..

Thank you very much... I hope this comment is not seen badly or taken in the wrong way... I love traits that are centered around mental health and I would actually have downloaded this; if it had mentioned that it was a fictional take on it all, instead of displaying it this way.. But yeah... That might just be me...


well, it sounds like your views were similar to mine, but instead of taking offense, i explained to the creator in detail how sociopaths are and offered to help fine tune the trait. i didn't think it was meant to be harmful, i just thought there was a misunderstanding. it's better to help than hinder.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 18th Jun 2017 at 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra575
No one was saying that we shouldn't have controversial traits. Everyone, including myself, was just commenting that the trait was inaccurate, and it's really irresponsible to knowingly spread misinformation about mental illness, which is what the creator was doing, given that they acknowledged it was unrealistic and still didn't care. I think most people would agree it's fine to have a sociopath trait, the point is that it should be accurate.
If a name being changed on a sims 4 mod is 'censorship' to you, I think you need to reevaluate what serious censorship actually is. The trait is still here for everyone to download and explore.


rude. very rude. yes, the trait was inaccurate, which is why we aim to HELP the creator, not punish them. they were not intentionally spreading false information, and they certainly DID care. the creator made it very clear that the psychology behind people with mental illness was fascinating, they just got some of their information wrong, which is not their fault, and it was simply a common human mistake. it's not fair to say they were willingly spreading misinformation when you haven't even spoken to the creator. and yes, hun, it is censorship. that's by definition, not some PC nonsense.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 18th Jun 2017 at 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShigemiNotoge
First of all; it is a video game. It is intended to be displayed in a fictional way whether that is expressly stated or not.

As someone on the autism spectrum, I find your protection of people with mental disorders more harmful than content like this because you're treating us as though we're precious, helpless things that can't bear to be hurt. I am a fully (mostly) functional adult with the same rights and abilities as any other human being on the planet and I do not now, nor do I ever need to be protected from someone's innocent, non malevolent creativity.

You say you love traits that are centred on mental illnesses but your words and actions speak to the opposite as you complain about their perfection and accuracy. If you don't like something someone has created for the game, you have the choice to not download it, as does everyone else who visits this site.

Now, thank you very much... I hope this comment is not seen badly or taken in the wrong way... I love the work that people do around this site, it is the only reason I bothered to play the game before Toddlers and Parenthood, and I don't want to see creators' content being bullied by over-zealous SJWs.. but yeah... That might just me be...


i agree with you
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 4:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShigemiNotoge
First of all; it is a video game. It is intended to be displayed in a fictional way whether that is expressly stated or not.

As someone on the autism spectrum, I find your protection of people with mental disorders more harmful than content like this because you're treating us as though we're precious, helpless things that can't bear to be hurt. I am a fully (mostly) functional adult with the same rights and abilities as any other human being on the planet and I do not now, nor do I ever need to be protected from someone's innocent, non malevolent creativity.

You say you love traits that are centred on mental illnesses but your words and actions speak to the opposite as you complain about their perfection and accuracy. If you don't like something someone has created for the game, you have the choice to not download it, as does everyone else who visits this site.

Now, thank you very much... I hope this comment is not seen badly or taken in the wrong way... I love the work that people do around this site, it is the only reason I bothered to play the game before Toddlers and Parenthood, and I don't want to see creators' content being bullied by over-zealous SJWs.. but yeah... That might just me be...


I have several mental disorders, issues and illnesses etc myself (including being antisocial); so I am in no way trying to seem like people who suffer from such are incapable of defending themselve.. I have explained myself what; 3 times now? And to be honest, I don't think I need to waste more energy on explaining it; to people who clearly does not want to see it from my point of view.. The way you see my explanations are up to you.. However; I would like to ask you to stop accusing me of seeing you or any other person with a mental condition, disorder, illness etc as weak... Because that is simply bullshit..

I do love those kind of traits; especially when they are leaning towards an accurate describtion of the specific mental illness, disorder, condition etc.. When they are not; I prefer that the creator of them will state that in the describtion. That is all..
I use several traits that are cc which includes; schizophrenia, anxiety, social anxiety, autism; plus more. Most of those are more or less accurately displayed within the trait, so to say.. As far as I remember, the creators of those did write in their describtion of the traits, that there might be some inaccuracies regarding the traits displays of the specific illness, condition, disorder etc. That is all I would like to ask for; regarding such traits!....

You are being ridiculous and you are probably aware of that; by accusing me of such bullshit... I am not trying to bully anyone or censor them. I am just trying to make sure that people mention the possible inaccuracies; when posting cc traits that has to do with topics as mental illness etc.

The reason I said it could be harmful not to; well I do believe that I already explained those reasons..
Test Subject
#9 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 3:24 PM Last edited by Terra575 : 19th Jun 2017 at 4:27 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reitanna
rude. very rude. yes, the trait was inaccurate, which is why we aim to HELP the creator, not punish them. they were not intentionally spreading false information, and they certainly DID care. the creator made it very clear that the psychology behind people with mental illness was fascinating, they just got some of their information wrong, which is not their fault, and it was simply a common human mistake. it's not fair to say they were willingly spreading misinformation when you haven't even spoken to the creator. and yes, hun, it is censorship. that's by definition, not some PC nonsense.


You must not have seen the posts that were deleted the first time this trait went up, because the creator actually acknowledged that their trait wasn't accurate, but they didn't think it was a big deal because they wanted it to be entertaining, not educational. I actually did speak to the creator, I was one of the original posters who spoke with them about it. Another poster had told them it was inaccurate, and the creator's initial response was that they were not going to change it to reflect the new accurate information. That to me is indeed willingly spreading misinformation. If someone tells you something you made is inaccurate, and you straight up say "I understand your point, but I still won't change it" that's spreading misinformation. Not sure what else to say about it, seems pretty straight forward to me.

And this isn't about being PC, this was about making an accurate portrayal of a mental illness. I see no need for you to be so condescending towards me, we're both just sharing our opinion.
Theorist
#10 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 5:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra575
You must not have seen the posts that were deleted the first time this trait went up, because the creator actually acknowledged that their trait wasn't accurate, but they didn't think it was a big deal because they wanted it to be entertaining, not educational. I actually did speak to the creator, I was one of the original posters who spoke with them about it. Another poster had told them it was inaccurate, and the creator's initial response was that they were not going to change it to reflect the new accurate information. That to me is indeed willingly spreading misinformation. If someone tells you something you made is inaccurate, and you straight up say "I understand your point, but I still won't change it" that's spreading misinformation. Not sure what else to say about it, seems pretty straight forward to me.

And this isn't about being PC, this was about making an accurate portrayal of a mental illness. I see no need for you to be so condescending towards me, we're both just sharing our opinion.

IDK about anyone else, but I have never once seen something in the sims 4 and thought "wow, this must be a 100% accurate portrayal of real life. There is no possible way anything in this could be exaggerated or inaccurate. I'm going to take this at face value as being real and true."

Have you SEEN the telescope, microscope, cupcake factory, gaming rig, rocket ship, talking toilet(s), and the new rock wall treadmill?
Are you guys complaining about the inaccuracy of these items and how they spread misinformation about the size and use of such things?
No one believes you need a giant factory to bake cupcakes when you can make them in your oven. Everything in this game is exaggerated and inaccurate by default right down to the fake plastic smiles they wear all day. In fact, I think things need a disclaimer if they are accurate.


TL;DR
The game is fantasy, not reality. Nothing needs to be real, accurate, or true.
Test Subject
#11 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 5:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShigemiNotoge
IDK about anyone else, but I have never once seen something in the sims 4 and thought "wow, this must be a 100% accurate portrayal of real life. There is no possible way anything in this could be exaggerated or inaccurate. I'm going to take this at face value as being real and true."

Have you SEEN the telescope, microscope, cupcake factory, gaming rig, rocket ship, talking toilet(s), and the new rock wall treadmill?
Are you guys complaining about the inaccuracy of these items and how they spread misinformation about the size and use of such things?
No one believes you need a giant factory to bake cupcakes when you can make them in your oven. Everything in this game is exaggerated and inaccurate by default right down to the fake plastic smiles they wear all day. In fact, I think things need a disclaimer if they are accurate.

TL;DR
The game is fantasy, not reality. Nothing needs to be real, accurate, or true.


The problem with this logic is (and I think you already know this and are being flippant on purpose) that no harm comes from having a huge cupcake machine or a silly treadmill or rock climbing wall etc. I assume there are no rockclimbers who feel completely misunderstood by society due to inaccurate portrayals of rock climbing. But can the same be said for mental illness? Personally I think mental illness is more important to get right than baking cupcakes, but if you feel they're on the same level of importance, I don't think there's anything I could say to change your opinion. To each their own.
Theorist
#12 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 6:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra575
The problem with this logic is (and I think you already know this and are being flippant on purpose) that no harm comes from having a huge cupcake machine or a silly treadmill or rock climbing wall etc. I assume there are no rockclimbers who feel completely misunderstood by society due to inaccurate portrayals of rock climbing. But can the same be said for mental illness? Personally I think mental illness is more important to get right than baking cupcakes, but if you feel they're on the same level of importance, I don't think there's anything I could say to change your opinion. To each their own.

The problem is that no one is really getting hurt anyway. No one is going to study to become a psychiatrist from a video game. I genuinely don't don't feel hurt by the inaccurate portrayal of mental illnesses I suffer from, especially in a fictional context. If it were a professional psychologist/psychiatrist portraying the symptoms inaccurately. Or an in-depth documentary or clinical study that got things wrong, then I would be a lot more concerned and disappointed. I'm more worried about getting an accurate treatment for the illnesses I suffer from than an accurate portrayal in popular media and Hollywood. No one is going to take a video game seriously.

Fiction can't hurt anyone, that's what's so fun about it.
Test Subject
#13 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 6:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShigemiNotoge
The problem is that no one is really getting hurt anyway. No one is going to study to become a psychiatrist from a video game. I genuinely don't don't feel hurt by the inaccurate portrayal of mental illnesses I suffer from, especially in a fictional context. If it were a professional psychologist/psychiatrist portraying the symptoms inaccurately. Or an in-depth documentary or clinical study that got things wrong, then I would be a lot more concerned and disappointed. I'm more worried about getting an accurate treatment for the illnesses I suffer from than an accurate portrayal in popular media and Hollywood. No one is going to take a video game seriously.

Fiction can't hurt anyone, that's what's so fun about it.


That's simply not true. Just because you personally are not hurt from inaccurate portrayals doesn't mean everyone in the world feels the same way as you. And I'm telling you first hand that I have been bothered by inaccurate portrayals of my own issue. I would appreciate if you had some empathy rather than claiming fiction is incapable of affecting anyone. Fiction can make people laugh, cry, feel joy, feel hate, you name it. I'm not saying the sims games do that, but I'm speaking more generally. I think it's important for popular media to try and portray illnesses accurately, it helps spread awareness. In fact, movies and shows have been some of my introductions to learning about other illnesses. One of the whole points of fiction is that it allows the audience to step into someone else's shoes.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 9:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra575
You must not have seen the posts that were deleted the first time this trait went up, because the creator actually acknowledged that their trait wasn't accurate, but they didn't think it was a big deal because they wanted it to be entertaining, not educational. I actually did speak to the creator, I was one of the original posters who spoke with them about it. Another poster had told them it was inaccurate, and the creator's initial response was that they were not going to change it to reflect the new accurate information. That to me is indeed willingly spreading misinformation. If someone tells you something you made is inaccurate, and you straight up say "I understand your point, but I still won't change it" that's spreading misinformation. Not sure what else to say about it, seems pretty straight forward to me.

And this isn't about being PC, this was about making an accurate portrayal of a mental illness. I see no need for you to be so condescending towards me, we're both just sharing our opinion.


uh, hunny? I was the very second one to post a comment on the trait. I was the one who first pointed out inaccuracies because I'm a sociopath and I felt excited about using the trait for my sim, as well as my Hannibal Lecter sim. however, since it's personal, I felt that the trait should be more accurate, which it should've been. that's why I offered to explain the facts and clear up misinformation. the creator NEVER said they weren't going to change it. I offered for them to ask me questions to fine tune the trait, but then it was taken down. funnily enough, some stupid kid messaged me (titled "holy cow, i feel really bad for you.") with this pleasant shpeal:

"You are a sociopath, And bipolar?? You must be an expert. Or you just want attention. Or don't have a disorder at all and just want attention. I really hope Killauna puts the trait back up and no one else gets their work reported because they weren't exactly to your liking. You probably make modders lives a living hell huh? Go make your own stuff instead of being offended by everything. 2016 problems of children make me cringe "

imagine my confusion, first being accused of FAKING mental illness for attention, then accusing me of reporting the creator, being offended, and then the assumption that I am actually a child. I reported him, of course, but it made me track down the creator again to make sure THEY didn't think I was the one who reported it. I never wanted it taken down, just accurate. I got the story, I know what happened. and to think that there were people who thought it'd be better to report the trait instead of kindly help the creator fine tune the trait is unjustified. there was no reason for it. action without reason is chaos, and chaos disrupts balance. I think the only reason people reported this was because they wanted an excuse to cause trouble, just like how people freaked out when they had a black guy play a storm trooper. what's the point? what's the problem? there is none. when someone has their facts wrong, we must TEACH, not punish.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 9:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShigemiNotoge
IDK about anyone else, but I have never once seen something in the sims 4 and thought "wow, this must be a 100% accurate portrayal of real life. There is no possible way anything in this could be exaggerated or inaccurate. I'm going to take this at face value as being real and true."

Have you SEEN the telescope, microscope, cupcake factory, gaming rig, rocket ship, talking toilet(s), and the new rock wall treadmill?
Are you guys complaining about the inaccuracy of these items and how they spread misinformation about the size and use of such things?
No one believes you need a giant factory to bake cupcakes when you can make them in your oven. Everything in this game is exaggerated and inaccurate by default right down to the fake plastic smiles they wear all day. In fact, I think things need a disclaimer if they are accurate.


TL;DR
The game is fantasy, not reality. Nothing needs to be real, accurate, or true.


while I'm not arguing with you about fantasy, some of us like our sims to have distinct personalities, especially if we're making actual characters, whether they're created by us or they're from a TV show, movie, book, etc. I have a ton of characters that require an accurate sociopath trait in order to be as in character as possible. that's the joy of CC, we are given options to make individuals out of our sims. while the game is fantasy, we still crave a bit of realism, especially if this is our escape from real life, because in the game, we are god, and if there's one thing we know about god, it's that we are born in his image. therefore, god is like us in a sense that he enjoys us dealing with emotional, mental, and physical problems, he likes to see us suffer. we crave both good and bad sims, we enjoy putting them against each other as well as making them love each other. we like to kill them as well as prolong their lives. "killing must feel good to god too, he does it all the time." we go to this fantasy world in order to indulge in our fantasies without doing actual harm, but fantasy ALWAYS needs a bit of realism, especially when it comes to "good vs. evil" for lack of a better term. this is a form of self therapy. I mean, think of a trait you personally have, either your best trait or your worst. you'd like it to be accurate, right? wouldn't you feel a little put off if you saw your best or worst trait described in a stereotypical way?

disclaimer: I was only using "god" as an example, I'm not trying to ACTUALLY bring religion into this.
Test Subject
#16 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 9:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reitanna
uh, hunny? I was the very second one to post a comment on the trait. I was the one who first pointed out inaccuracies because I'm a sociopath and I felt excited about using the trait for my sim, as well as my Hannibal Lecter sim. however, since it's personal, I felt that the trait should be more accurate, which it should've been. that's why I offered to explain the facts and clear up misinformation. the creator NEVER said they weren't going to change it. I offered for them to ask me questions to fine tune the trait, but then it was taken down. funnily enough, some stupid kid messaged me (titled "holy cow, i feel really bad for you.") with this pleasant shpeal:

"You are a sociopath, And bipolar?? You must be an expert. Or you just want attention. Or don't have a disorder at all and just want attention. I really hope Killauna puts the trait back up and no one else gets their work reported because they weren't exactly to your liking. You probably make modders lives a living hell huh? Go make your own stuff instead of being offended by everything. 2016 problems of children make me cringe "

imagine my confusion, first being accused of FAKING mental illness for attention, then accusing me of reporting the creator, being offended, and then the assumption that I am actually a child. I reported him, of course, but it made me track down the creator again to make sure THEY didn't think I was the one who reported it. I never wanted it taken down, just accurate. I got the story, I know what happened. and to think that there were people who thought it'd be better to report the trait instead of kindly help the creator fine tune the trait is unjustified. there was no reason for it. action without reason is chaos, and chaos disrupts balance. I think the only reason people reported this was because they wanted an excuse to cause trouble, just like how people freaked out when they had a black guy play a storm trooper. what's the point? what's the problem? there is none. when someone has their facts wrong, we must TEACH, not punish.


I'm not sure why you're directing all of this rage towards me. I didn't even report the trait, and I had nothing to do with your posts. I'm sorry someone harassed you about what you said, I know what it's like to get accused of lying about mental illness, and it sucks. The only reason I even commented on the original trait was to say that it's not a bad idea for a trait, but it should be accurate. So it sounds like you and I wanted the same thing.

So stop calling me 'hunny' and directing all of this anger my way, I don't believe I have anything to do with your complaints. Not only did I not report the trait, but I tried to explain to the creator ways to make it more accurate. And I doubt that anyone who was commenting on it did it just to 'cause trouble', that sounds irrational. People just had concerns and different opinions than you, that doesn't make their comments invalid.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 9:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra575
The problem with this logic is (and I think you already know this and are being flippant on purpose) that no harm comes from having a huge cupcake machine or a silly treadmill or rock climbing wall etc. I assume there are no rockclimbers who feel completely misunderstood by society due to inaccurate portrayals of rock climbing. But can the same be said for mental illness? Personally I think mental illness is more important to get right than baking cupcakes, but if you feel they're on the same level of importance, I don't think there's anything I could say to change your opinion. To each their own.


I clicked the "agree" button, but I don't think that's really enough to express how much you hit the nail on the head. even in fiction, mental illness SHOULD be taken seriously and be as accurate as possible, and it's because, for those of us who battle with one or multiple illnesses, we have a love/hate relationship with them. personally, I would give both my legs to be mentally healthy, but at the same time, it's almost like my disorders are parts of me that have taken sentience, become their own people, become friends that I have MANY disagreements with. though we struggle each and every day, though some of us struggle to live a normal life, though some of us have to take a fist full of pills every day for the rest of our lives, it doesn't change the fact that these disorders have shaped us, and we HAVE benefitted from them in some way.

not only that, but SO many people think mental illness is fake, or not serious. I've spoken to many teens who tell me, "I think I have depression, but my parents just say I'm being a teenager." NO. whether or not it's just hormones, RED FLAG. if you don't get them the help they need, it could damage them for the rest of their lives. there are so many people who suffer from depression anxiety, et cetera, and have been told to "get over it." you can't get over it. there's no cure. mental illness is like cancer: it's lifelong, you have to undergo constant and expensive treatment, and it could end your life. with some illnesses, it's worse because you could also end someone ELSE'S life. this is why misunderstandings need to be corrected, this is why it should be accurate. I mean, what if someone took cancer in general (I know there are endless types of cancer, as there are mental illnesses) and portrayed in in an inaccurate and stereotypical way? to people with cancer, that's personal, and yes, though they do not benefit in any way from having cancer, they'd still feel like it was personal, and yes, they would care.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 9:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShigemiNotoge
The problem is that no one is really getting hurt anyway. No one is going to study to become a psychiatrist from a video game. I genuinely don't don't feel hurt by the inaccurate portrayal of mental illnesses I suffer from, especially in a fictional context. If it were a professional psychologist/psychiatrist portraying the symptoms inaccurately. Or an in-depth documentary or clinical study that got things wrong, then I would be a lot more concerned and disappointed. I'm more worried about getting an accurate treatment for the illnesses I suffer from than an accurate portrayal in popular media and Hollywood. No one is going to take a video game seriously.

Fiction can't hurt anyone, that's what's so fun about it.


I think you meant to say, "The problem is that I wasn't really getting hurt anyway," and "fiction can't[/] hurt me."

you stated such things as a fact, in which they are not. every mind is different, everyone reacts to the same situation in a different way. let's take three people, John, Maria, and Steve, and at different times they have been in a car crash. Maria felt frightened at the time, but after everything was over with, she was able to recover and can still ride and drive in a car no problem. John was a little more affected by his, so now he never trusts anyone to drive but himself, and he is very timid when cars get to close to his. Steve, however, was traumatized, and now he is terrified of cars, being near them, being in them, he refuses to drive, and riding in one gives him panic attacks.

let's put rape into fiction and have a victim of sexual assault read it. this person has PTSD for his/her experience, and he/she didn't know this would pop up in the book he/she is reading. all of a sudden, flashbacks, dizziness, loss of reality, confusion, panic, and a repeat in trauma. boom, panic attack.

a woman had a miscarriage after her first pregnancy, and she was devastated. she sees a similar thing happen in a drama on TV soon after. boom, pain, sobbing, loss of hope.

someone witnesses a murder, it traumatizes them. their friend has them watch a movie with them, but the friend doesn't know about the person's trauma, and the person doesn't know what kind of movie it is. murder happens on screen, boom, panic attack.

do you know what this is? PTSD. post traumatic stress disorder is not exclusive to war veterans, and I know from experience how much damage it can cause. it's not just triggers, but the triggers definitely harm us, trust me. to say fiction [I]can't
hurt anyone is not only ignorant, but selfish, close minded, and disrespectful to your fellow man.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra575
I'm not sure why you're directing all of this rage towards me. I didn't even report the trait, and I had nothing to do with your posts. I'm sorry someone harassed you about what you said, I know what it's like to get accused of lying about mental illness, and it sucks. The only reason I even commented on the original trait was to say that it's not a bad idea for a trait, but it should be accurate. So it sounds like you and I wanted the same thing.

So stop calling me 'hunny' and directing all of this anger my way, I don't believe I have anything to do with your complaints. Not only did I not report the trait, but I tried to explain to the creator ways to make it more accurate. And I doubt that anyone who was commenting on it did it just to 'cause trouble', that sounds irrational. People just had concerns and different opinions than you, that doesn't make their comments invalid.


........... I'm sorry, but do I sound enraged? wasn't aware that someone typing civilly, non-erratically, and in a debate tone could be seen as enraged. what did I direct at you? that I was the second one who commented and conversed with the creator, which was to negate your assumption that I did not see the comments. I brought up myself being targeted to explain how and why I got the story from the creator. and notice how I did not accuse YOU of reporting it, I said PEOPLE. and I'm also sorry if you think terms of endearment like "hunny" are offensive. I personally think that's weird. I literally call everyone pet names like "hunny," "sweetie," "dear," etc., unless, of course, they are of higher professional authority than me, such as a police person. it is a sign of KINDNESS. I do this because, when people call ME pet names, I feel comforted and safe, and I know that the person has no intent to harm me. I'm sorry if my attempt to keep the debate civil has somehow upset you. again, that's kind of... odd. but whatever floats your boat, I guess.

and trust me, I have not expressed ANY anger at all in this entire thread. if I were angry, you'd KNOW it. and it'd get me kicked off of this site.
Test Subject
#20 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reitanna
........... I'm sorry, but do I sound enraged? wasn't aware that someone typing civilly, non-erratically, and in a debate tone could be seen as enraged. what did I direct at you? that I was the second one who commented and conversed with the creator, which was to negate your assumption that I did not see the comments. I brought up myself being targeted to explain how and why I got the story from the creator. and notice how I did not accuse YOU of reporting it, I said PEOPLE. and I'm also sorry if you think terms of endearment like "hunny" are offensive. I personally think that's weird. I literally call everyone pet names like "hunny," "sweetie," "dear," etc., unless, of course, they are of higher professional authority than me, such as a police person. it is a sign of KINDNESS. I do this because, when people call ME pet names, I feel comforted and safe, and I know that the person has no intent to harm me. I'm sorry if my attempt to keep the debate civil has somehow upset you. again, that's kind of... odd. but whatever floats your boat, I guess.

and trust me, I have not expressed ANY anger at all in this entire thread. if I were angry, you'd KNOW it. and it'd get me kicked off of this site.

Go back and look at the post I was referring to. Not only did you use all caps multiple times, but your argument wasn't exactly calm and collected. I can't read your mind, and I think most people who saw your post would assume you were pretty annoyed. I'm not sure what your issue is with me, given that half the time you're yelling things at me (your first post was telling me how rude I am multiple times, which does sound angry), and then in a post a few minutes ago you just agreed with me and said I hit the nail on the head. I'm not sure what else to say to you.
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 10:34 PM
As I feel this is the right place to bring it up - why couldn't the eating disorder trait remain, or be changed a bit? Many people, myself included, who suffer from anorexia found it appropriate. Others didn't, and that's fine, just as some people with ASD find the autism trait appropriate and others don't. Though I don't know if pressure to remove the anorexia trait came from the site mods or comments.
Theorist
#22 Old 20th Jun 2017 at 12:38 AM
My last word on this subject is going to be, if you find something offensive, you have the right to not download it, and ignore it, but no one should be forced to remove content that they've made that is not malicious in nature, or specifically designed to hurt people.

Some people like telling darker stories. You can't rule out every single thing in the universe because someone somewhere might be offended by it. There is a mod that lets you kill sims at will. What if someone has had their entire family killed and the thought of that gives them a PTSD attack, should it be taken down? The idea of this site is a collective receptacle for everyone in the community and their creativity. It is at this stage that YOU filter the content you want to download and decide what YOU think is appropriate. But you can;t decide what is appropriate for OTHER people to be allowed to download.

If I want someone's inaccurate portrayal of sociopaths because it gives me the game play that I want, I should be allowed, just as you should be allowed to download mods that I might find offensive. If you want a more accurate portrayal of a mental illness, perhaps you should speak in private with the person or look up a tutorial and make your own, more accurate version. Perhaps you could work on it together and upload a second version with an "accurate!" tag.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 20th Jun 2017 at 2:10 AM
Yes, lets all fight for video game authenticity, after all, can't have anything uploaded to MTS that hasn't been thoroughly researched first. I'm just hoping Pescado didn't do too much hands on research for his Baby BBQ mod that he uploaded back in 2009 that is still hosted on this website to this very day.

I'd like less accurate real world issues and authenticity in my fantasy video game escapism thank you very much, I'll keep my mental health issues where they're suppose to be, In CBT Group and Therapy. The internet isn't suppose to be a safe space okay, it's full of fetish porn, trolls and idiot youtubers falling over themselves for likes. You want an accurate portrayal of sociopathy, read Susanna Kaysen, but don't go turning on The Sims 4 hoping to find it, because you won't.
Theorist
#24 Old 20th Jun 2017 at 5:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindingEchoes
I'm just hoping Pescado didn't do too much hands on research for his Baby BBQ mod that he uploaded back in 2009 that is still hosted on this website to this very day.

Fortunately the baby who tested it was not actually harmed and grew up happy and healthy with no mental scarring whatsoever.

See? Up to his old tricks again! Totally normal Sim doing totally normal sim things. Absolutely no negative side-effects.

Credit to @spidergirl79 for the screenshot.
Mad Poster
#25 Old 20th Jun 2017 at 8:11 AM Last edited by VerDeTerre : 20th Jun 2017 at 8:25 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShigemiNotoge
The problem is that no one is really getting hurt anyway. No one is going to study to become a psychiatrist from a video game. I genuinely don't don't feel hurt by the inaccurate portrayal of mental illnesses I suffer from, especially in a fictional context. If it were a professional psychologist/psychiatrist portraying the symptoms inaccurately. Or an in-depth documentary or clinical study that got things wrong, then I would be a lot more concerned and disappointed. I'm more worried about getting an accurate treatment for the illnesses I suffer from than an accurate portrayal in popular media and Hollywood. No one is going to take a video game seriously.

Fiction can't hurt anyone, that's what's so fun about it.
I have to disagree with you on that one. Prejudice is spread by misinformation. If, for example, one were to fictionalize autism and say that those with autism are unpredictable and violent, without a disclaimer that it's not exactly true even of the small percentage that appear that way, people receiving that misinformation would think of people on the spectrum as unpredictable and violent. That misinformation would inform them when they encountered people on the spectrum and affect how they acted towards them. For example, they might avoid them or not hire them for jobs. That's harmful. There's one misconception that I come across somewhat frequently and that's the mistaken belief that those on the spectrum are mentally challenged and less intelligent. I wouldn't want that spread, would you?

On the other hand, I think it's ok to take broad strokes in fiction, without getting too specific unless a character requires it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShigemiNotoge
If I want someone's inaccurate portrayal of sociopaths because it gives me the game play that I want, I should be allowed, just as you should be allowed to download mods that I might find offensive.
The OP seemed to agree with you, they simply wanted disclosure to go along with the mod.

Quote:
See? Up to his old tricks again! Totally normal Sim doing totally normal sim things. Absolutely no negative side-effects.
Let's not attack the straw man. This isn't an argument about accuracy in the game, it's specifically about not deliberately misrepresenting a population of people in a negative manner.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Page 1 of 2
Back to top