Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Feb 2011 at 10:44 PM
Default Attempting to Retexture Hair. Failing miserably, as retextured hair does not show up.
So I got a hold of a custom hair mesh and a default replacement retexture someone made for it.

I'm attempting to use S3PE to simply patch the new texture into the .package file for the mesh.

When I open up the game, however, the hair does not appear. It does appear when I haven't patched.

From what I've read, it should be as simple as right-clicking the hex entry for the DDS file in the mesh and clicking "Replace", then patching in the equivalent DDS extracted from the retexture.

The only way I can get the thing to work is to use a system involving priority setting in my resource.cfg file and putting the retexture in a separate folder. Thing is, I've got my Mods folder organized in a very specific way, and making a brand new folder just for that texture is not something I want to do.
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 27th Feb 2011 at 11:46 PM
I guess I should answer this :P
Did you "Save" or did you "Save As..."? Sometimes, that makes a difference. If S3PE doesn't work, you can use Postal as well
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Feb 2011 at 12:28 AM Last edited by AnimaSeverem : 28th Feb 2011 at 12:55 AM.
...Save As?

...I...actually never thought about that.

I'll give it a shot right now.

Edit: ...I'm afraid it didn't work.

If you want I can PM you the name of the mesh and the retexture.
Inventor
#4 Old 28th Feb 2011 at 1:23 AM
Um... do this (if you already have exported the new textures):
- Open the hair you want to retexture with Postal.
- Go to "Workspace/Show NMap References"
- Find the "dds Image" files. Click one and you'll see the texture.
- Go to "Hex View" tab and click "Import"
- Repeat that with the rest.
- "File/Save As..." with a different name.
- Check it in-game.
- If it works, use the Compressorizer and done!

I'd add this to my tutorial if it works for you.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Feb 2011 at 1:48 AM
Oh my god Anubis I love you. It worked.

But I have one question. Is the Compressorizer needed? What exactly does it do?
Inventor
#6 Old 28th Feb 2011 at 1:52 AM
I'm glad it worked! Postal it's better than S3PE sometimes, but an update wouldn't hurt :P

The compressorizer is not needed, but it will reduce the filesize and therefore, you'll have a better game performance.
Sockpuppet
#7 Old 28th Feb 2011 at 7:24 AM
The right click option in S3PE doesn't work, atleast not for me.
I always use the import function from the top bar menu