Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Jan 2018 at 9:04 PM
Default Lovers who sharing half-siblings without being related by marriages
I'm not sure how to make a shorter "main topic" introduction to this thread.

While I know there has been threads about distant relatives such as second cousins and step-siblings, some I created myself long ago, I recently come across a situations, where some of my potential future couples (ehem, they are still "looking", but playing without townies, the gene poor is rather restricted, so I looking at the options. Playing with social classes, there is about three or so founders family each sims can marry. Looking for a spouse in the other classes is possible, but I play with a set of rules where that would lead to consequences. ) sharing an relative but without being related by marriage nor blood.

As I play with random rolls and historical themed hoods, basically, their parents respectively simply had a "opposite" together (these two families mostly consisted of CAS romance sims marriages, so I couldn't resist having them doing that for scandals plots ), but not married. The mothers died not long after giving birth to these "half-siblings", so I highly doubt they would be consider family in a game mechanism.

Personally, I don't care about the game mechanics what consider "allowed" - I am not so keen of having a great-grandfather marriying his great-granddaughter - that's just a bit icky. Second cousins is fine as its fits with the theme I'm playing but tends to avoid it in modern hood.. If I'm remember correctly, you cannot have two step-children marry in a unmodded game due to the family flags...

But IF yours sims parents never married, would you normally allow this sort of relationships to take form?
If your mother had a kid with your boyfriends father for example and that half-sibling lives with your family? - Would they still be treated as a family, even if the two are directly related by blood? (I guess another, probably, "worse" example would be: Marrying your uncle/aunt/mother/dad's younger EX-lover... )

Has this situation ever happened in your game? How would you deal with it?
Vanilla, Pre-mades, Historical, Modern - The theme doesn't matter in this question, but the relationships.

Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 7th Jan 2018 at 9:55 PM
well i did have a guy impregnate his great niece in a custom hood;he already had about 10 kids and the family unwanted child sort of

and i am planning first cousin marriages in another hood simply because there is too much people and i want to limit townies

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
My Tumblr
Mad Poster
#3 Old 8th Jan 2018 at 12:18 AM
I wouldn't blink at kids who shared a half-sibling but never lived together as children getting together. Step-siblings who grew up together in the same household and regard each other as siblings would bother me. The key is who knows what when and what relationship they had as children.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Alchemist
#4 Old 8th Jan 2018 at 12:28 AM
Yeah, sharing relatives doesn't necessarily make you family. It wouldn't bother me.
Link Ninja
#5 Old 8th Jan 2018 at 12:50 AM
I've never had sims who shared half siblings get together romantically; half siblings are somewhat of a low occurence in my game. Step-sibling romances were more prevalent in the early days because teens were tired of their divorcee parents trying to get married and render them family so they stuck it to the man by still hooking up as step-siblings.

I had a dude who had half-sibling sisters from both sides of his parents and when they flirted together (his sisters were both bisexual, and unrelated to each other) it weirded him out but they didn't marry or even end up dating.

I had a really gnarly situation where a teen male dated a teen girl, then he aged to YA, slept with her mother and fathered a love child, and then kept seeing the girl when she became young adult so the little tyke's half sister was getting it on with his biological father. Fortunately no kids came from that union.

If it actually happened in my game, it would create some juicy gossip for me at least, so I would allow it.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Theorist
#6 Old 8th Jan 2018 at 1:12 AM
Yeah agreeing with others, two lovers sharing a half-sibling would not be weird in my eyes. Step siblings can also be okay depending on how much time they have spent growing up together. Did their respective parents marry and move in together when they were in their teens? That's fair game imho (I swear I can remember a version/remake/ripoff of the Brady Bunch I saw as a child, where the two oldest step siblings were teased to be romantically attracted to one another...)

On the grat-grandparent/great-grandchild thing, yep that is creepy. I did it anyway, once. In an old neighbourhood of mine, a vampire fell in love with his own great-granddaughter. hahaha.
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 8th Jan 2018 at 1:43 AM Last edited by Florentzina : 8th Jan 2018 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Editing the details
It's rather complicated group of families I have this situation with. BTW they are from criminal backgrounds and majority are Romance Sims so I suppose it's would be normal for these guys to fool around with whoever. Not quiet polygamy tho. With romance Sims I go with "one in, one out" route (thanks to the hacks that makes relationship harder AND the one Sim with ACR2. Use often hacked woohoo objects to create cheating though as even romance Sims refuse to accept flirts from other non-"the-one"Sims EVEN IF they're in love with them ).

The situation (might mix up their surnames as I type on my phone, but that shouldn't matter).

Kai Le Villiers had twins through an affair with Fleur La Roux - Latricia & Lafayette who are children now. Fleur died from childbirth who divorced her spouse Dean before giving birth, while Kai's spouse Lativa died from a disease not much long ago. The twins lives with Kai and have four half siblings from each parents.

Zavier is son of Kai Le Villiers and Vernice is daughter of Fleur La Roux. The Le Villiers has no close relationship with the half twin sisters .

What makes me hesitate to wed these two is that wouldn't their family relations be rather funny. The twins are basically both Sibling-In-Law and Half siblings with them, right? Though it could be worse - Vernice wooing Zaviers father but that's a situation I don't allow. Second removed cousin/uncle seems fair since I don't play a modern hood, but the dads are like 20+ years older than the possible future daughter in law. I had such situation happen before where the In-law wooing each other and had to force one of them to move out.. *Irrk* Too close family relations and age gap (one elder, father in law, one early adult who lost her spouse early)

Age for me us more important than some family relations though. Zavier also have a half brother from another family but that kid (RICO: ) is a bit too young for Vernice (still a child) but wouldn't be related to her family and more "normal" IF the kid was older.

EDIT: Apparently the half brother wasn't too young, but will be a teen when Vernice is becoming a YA (15 and 10 years old) so he is still not so suitable. She is the only biological daughter of one of the families. Zaviers sisters has more possible romance available.
Scholar
#8 Old 8th Jan 2018 at 5:25 AM
I had a situation where Nervous Subject's adopted son was headed for a relationship with Pascal Curious's alien daughter, but then Nervous and Pascal got married and adopted a little girl together. I just felt it would be awkward trying to explain to the little one why her big brother and sister were kissing, so I let them grow apart. If it had been necessary for the storyline or lineage for them to marry, or if they'd really wanted to, I would have let them; the mutual half-sib would have been a teen before they actually got that far and old enough to understand (besides, given the strange Curious relationships, with Lola and Chloe being Jenny's sisters and Jenny's children's sisters, she probably would have thought it was perfectly normal!).

I think if you have the sort of social set-up where people have to marry somebody of a certain class, it would be understood by the half-sib that the other two weren't actually related to each other and were therefore perfectly suitable partners. Yes, their relationships would be a bit odd, but some people do have odd relationships like that. I would say it was definitely better to have the double relationship than to have Vernice marry somebody much younger than herself.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 8th Jan 2018 at 7:03 AM
I am simply going to ask: did it happen in the middle ages/historical period you are playing? (Probably).
Scholar
Original Poster
#10 Old 8th Jan 2018 at 11:14 AM
JustPetro
Well I only using history as an inspiration/fiction but roughly Tudor-Victorian periods which is one reason I allow distant relatives marriage. But even modern societies I think it should exist customs. Living in Scandinavia it's legal to marry your cousins but having a large family (five uncles and two aunts) where the cousins grew up together, I find some relationship little icky although I don't usually care of personal views in the game.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 8th Jan 2018 at 1:24 PM
We have been through the most common legal (not cultural) definitions of incest here before - marrying cousins are certainly legal in most countries - half-siblings are a little out of that definition, but I can't see that it would have mattered a lot in historical periods (especially those who thought the bloodline was very important and knew nothing at all about genetics).
Alchemist
#12 Old 11th Jan 2018 at 11:57 PM
in past times playing, there were many half-sibling sims.
mothers being various former NPCs; fathers being Daniel Pleasant and Don Lothario.
also a number of abduction-caused pregnancies. mostly Knowledge males; and some Romance males.

most of those offspring I think reached Child age. though a few reached Teen age.
Scholar
#13 Old 12th Jan 2018 at 12:44 AM
Loki's alien child married Circe's son with Vidcund Curious. But they could only marry if Loki and Circe divorced. So they did. The kids got married and then Loki and Circe got remarried. Yup, a double wedding. Thankfully, I have a mod to fix that now so step siblings can have romance.

Also, Pascal adopted a boy and he is with Jill Smith and Buzz Grunt's daughter. Technically that makes them family...but he's adopted

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2