Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Jan 2018 at 11:51 PM
Default Help me develop my alien/military neighborhood?
I've back after probably a six month hiatus from the Sims, and tonight I've decided to pop in on a neighborhood I made not long before the beginning of my hiatus. It's called Project 9, and I remember the concept for it is a military project intent on developing alien children. But what my goals are after that, I don't remember.

I have 5 playable families. Each one is headed by an adult sim, all of whom are mothers to aliens (I have Freetime so they could summon them, and a hack that allows females to get alien pregnant.) They are all at some stage of the Military career path, and all have knowledge aspirations with various secondary aspirations. There are three alien children and one alien baby. One sim is pregnant with her first alien child, and another is pregnant with her second baby.
They all live in uniform, modern (but also sort of plain/sterile) looking condos, side by side. Across from them are a pretty generic gym, bar, cafe, market, and primary school. My idea was to have a kind of uniform, sterile, military base looking place (keeping in mind that I have never in my life set foot on a military base, so all of this is strictly fictional conjecturing.) There's also a Project 9 Lab, which hosts some different lifetime wish/aspiration point machines.

I have, like, three townies, I think, all of whom are in the Military career track. One of them is involved with one of my mothers. Two of the mothers are involved with each other. (Both of them have a locked want to marry each other, but I want to wait until their daughters grow up and move out -- I'm thinking that could then mean I could move the moms out of their standard issue "military housing," and into a more unique home for the two of them?)

The style of the 'hood is sort of grungy, modern, militant looking.

Beyond that... I'm not really sure what to do. I don't really remember if I had any longterm plans when I made the neighborhood, so right now I'm pretty stuck, especially because all of my families are pretty uniform at the moment. Another concern: I had been planning on having the children age up and reproduce amongst themselves, but... I neglected to think about the fact that they're all recognized by the game as half siblings. Woops.

Any ideas on how to make this a cool and awesome and interesting neighborhood? I'm into the idea of it being a military project... I just don't really know where to take it now.
I'm super open to mod/hack suggestions, too, especially because I'm at a loss on how to reproduce. I wanted to create a population that was predominantly alien (of some sort), but the half sibling conundrum.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 12th Jan 2018 at 12:26 AM
there are at least following ways for a mostly alien neighborhood::
-a Multi-PT mod; probably at least 3 aliens in the mod (if the offspring are to be through abductions). for abduction offspring to do Try For Baby with each other, not sure how many aliens would be needed.
-create "aliens" in Create-A-Sim/Create-A-Family. with testingcheatsenabled, press Shift N within any part of Create-A-Family.
-copy pre-made aliens to the neighborhood. PT9 (Strangetown playable, Smith); PT7 (Pleasantview ancestor, Caliente); Colony Drones and/or Birth Queens (PT9's ancestors); Stella Terrano (La Fiesta Tech playable).
-download player-made aliens. not sure where.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 12th Jan 2018 at 12:34 AM
So, as a military brat I can tell you, base housing (especially for the enlisted personnel) a bunch of identical shells in which each individual family expresses itself exactly as it always does. They may buy their stuff primarily at the BX (the Base Exchange) and the Commissary (grocery store) and have the same basic choices, but they all have stuff they brought from Home or from the last station, they decorate according to personal taste and background culture, and so on. So it's a lot like a new subdivision or apartment block - identical units that soon aren't identical at all. They won't be able to paint the exterior walls, which are probably some durable bland frugal material; but they will be able to landscape the yard and decorate the interior as they please. So the first thing you can do is spruce up the homes and diversify the personnel. You might want to build the BX and the Commissary, too, and a playground for the kids to meet on.

A closed base is an ultrasafe environment - a small town in which everyone is assumed to be loyal and trustworthy. So you might want mods that make kids able to stay or go out by themselves within the confines of the base. If you want them to grow up and cross-breed, a multi-PT hack would also be in order.

While you're doing this, you need to think about the answer to the Big Question - why is the military recruiting people to have alien babies? And why are the people agreeing to it? Is this a top-secret project? Is it a popular program with lots of publicity? Are the participants and/or the public being told the truth about the strange and intimate service they're supposed to provide? What do they tell the kids - and how do the kids respond? Who conforms, who rebels, who subverts the program for their own ends? Who's in charge? What's the local CO's relationship to the participants under his/her command on the one hand and the top brass in charge of the program from whom he takes his/her orders, on the other?

Answer those questions and I think you'll find some driving conflicts and goals that will keep you going.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)