Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Jan 2018 at 9:27 PM
Default New Windows 10 Update Lag
I have had the Sims 2 on Origin ever since they released the code, and have never really had any problems. It has seen a whole host of custom content and computer updates, and has always worked surprisingly well for a game its age. But the most recent Windows 10 update may have finally been the straw that broke the camel's back, as now the game has lag on an astronomical scale.

The game will open up just fine, with the intro cinematic and loading screen progressing as normal, and I can easily select a neighborhood. However once the neighborhood view loads in, the game will grind to a halt. Frame rates drop to something out of poorly made stop-motion film, and the lag for inputs is a whole three seconds between pressing a button and getting a response. Playing on a lot is the same story, however this time with the added benefit of crashing the game after about a minute.

I know for a fact that this is because of the latest update for Windows 10, as I have updated and reverted back to the previous version twice now and both times going back to the previous version of Windows 10 fixed the problem. I never had a problem like this before, so to have it happen now is very strange to me. A call to EA was fruitless, as they flatly told me that they no longer support the Sims 2.

Therefore I ask if any of you good people have any suggestions or experiences with this particular problem of mine. Perhaps it may simply be time to retire the Sims 2, or look into running it on Windows 8.1 instead.
I would appreciate any ideas with this!
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 26th Jan 2018 at 9:35 PM
Hi, yes it seems that several people are having similar issues. Perhaps you could try some of the things that have helped others:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=605987
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#3 Old 26th Jan 2018 at 10:39 PM
You need to go and look in the Help section Cory

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Not actually evil.
#4 Old 26th Jan 2018 at 11:16 PM
@simsample - Thank you for the link, maybe more folks will get us more data and then a breakthrough. I can hope.

@CoryLeemon - There are thread about UC / Origin / Win 10 update 1709 / nvidia over at leefish too, well worth a look.

To save you a bit of time, if you want a suggestion now, here are the things that helped me. Lots of other stuff did not.
Your mileage may vary. Don't have time to post links right now, need to get kiddo from school.

* clean reinstall of drivers, NOT using Windows update nor GeForce Experience (definitely helped)
* maybe adding -w windowing and -CPUCount:1 cpu throttling to the shortcut?
* set correct texture memory size in graphics rules sgr AND also [b[allow the driver to manage its own memory[/b]
* do all of Kiri's suggestions for graphics rules sgr and video cards sgr
* maybe running in XP compatibility mode helps, definitely run as admin

Please spay or neuter your pets. --- Cat Music Video! --- my meshes