Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Aug 2010 at 3:26 PM
Default normal maps
When creating textures, does The sims 3 support normal maps?
(I would really want to use normal map if possible since it's good way to fake low poly to look better or have something that's not even there)

if not does it at least support just bumb maps?
Advertisement
Sockpuppet
#2 Old 23rd Aug 2010 at 4:26 PM
yes, the sims 3 does use normalmaps.
You often find them in the mesh tab(TSRW and CTU)
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#3 Old 23rd Aug 2010 at 5:41 PM
In TS3, unlike TS2, normalmaps are tied to the mesh - so if you want to use an EA mesh with a custom normalmap, you'll have to "clone" the mesh by exporting and reimporting it if using CTU. I don't know how this works in TSRW; it probably clones the mesh automagically as part of its determined mission to create as much file bloat as possible.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 23rd Aug 2010 at 6:51 PM
I see. How does this work if I create custom mesh (not using any EA mesh) and custom normalmap? How Do I tie them together what is the method? (sorry, I'm still kinda of confused how this all works since I am still learning the sims cc creation.)
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#5 Old 23rd Aug 2010 at 6:58 PM
In CTU, you can import the mesh files and the normalmap (in DDS format) on the same tab of the window. This also goes for replacing/updating them - just remember to enter a unique name for your new mesh first (the box for doing so is also very conspicuously there on the same tab). In TSRW, you can replace/update/import (or clear) the normalmap by opening the Msh tab, and hitting the ... button next to "material".

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 23rd Aug 2010 at 7:20 PM
Thanks!