Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Aug 2010 at 2:22 AM
Default How much of the shoe texture image can we use?
I see there is a huge amount of the shoe texture image which is not used.

The black region.
I know the area which is used is covered in white in the alpha texture.

The question is:-
1:-If I move the texture map around to anywhere else in milkshape and place the texture in the place where the texture map has been reassigned to along with editing the alpha, will this conflict with other pieces of clothing?

It just seems a bit odd to have so much area for the shoes yet only so little is useable.
Screenshots

You expect people to pay for those hairs?!
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 14th Aug 2010 at 3:36 AM
the rest of the texture is used by the body
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Aug 2010 at 4:56 AM
So only the small rectangle of texture is all we have to create a pair of shoes?

Forum Resident
#4 Old 14th Aug 2010 at 6:19 AM
I think they do that so when a pair of shoes doesn't take up the whole foot, like ankle showing, skin shows up where it should. instead of shoe. Try it, see what happens. A test run shouldn't take long.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 14th Aug 2010 at 11:45 AM
Well, I tried making a shoes myself about 2months ago. I covered the whole texture with the shoes texture, and it shoewed on not only the shoes, but the whole body part. A very ugly scene.

Check out my blog ! You'll find items that I was too lazy to upload on the MTS XD.

Warning! This is not an English blog! However, the 'Sims3Downloads' section is written in English :D.
Sockpuppet
#6 Old 14th Aug 2010 at 4:25 PM
i posted this template before, it shows how the parts are mapped.
Screenshots
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 15th Aug 2010 at 4:11 AM
Thanks Base1980
The template is very helpful and makes more sense to the way the shoes are mapped the way they are.
It appears if I want more space the best way for me will be to overlap the maps.
For example, I could map the sole and sides of the shoes over each other if I do not want to have different textures of each shoe.

Sockpuppet
#8 Old 15th Aug 2010 at 5:07 AM
You could with sims 2 but you cant with sims 3, it will screw up the lightning/shadows
Every part needs to have its own place on the uvmap.

The only way to make ''high resolution'' shoes is to make them as accesoire.
But you then need to cover the whole foot with textures(no visible skin)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 17th Aug 2010 at 5:21 AM
Wow.....
Not as easy as before....
I'll just remap everything differently for what I am planning to do.
ust need to do some chopping, duplicating and regrouping so i am able to separate parts of the uvmap and place them in other areas with in what i have to work with.