Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
#226 Old 1st Jul 2010 at 3:48 PM
Harry Potter et le Prisonnier d'Azkaban. I find it the most enjoyable way to practice my French.

Don't you wanna fly so high above the clouds and trees,
Learn a thing from birds and bees ,
See the morning rise over the ocean up ahead?

tumblr|lastfm
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#227 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 4:53 PM
Ballistics, by Billy Collins, A Tale of Love and Darkness, by Amos Oz, and The Best American Nonrequired Reading 2009, anthologized by Dave Eggers. I can't wait for the 2010 edition to be released in October, even more so because David Sedaris is prefacing it.

Do I dare disturb the universe?
| tumblr | My TS3 Photos |
Inventor
#228 Old 6th Jul 2010 at 5:38 PM
... Twilight...

I swore never to read it. Then I saw the film. It is actually quite good. A lot of my friends will think I have been placed by an impostor... Reading Twilight! Liking it! SHOCK!
I am sorry for being a traitor but, like I said, it is ACTUALLY quite good.

Darkness thrives in the void,
but always yields to purifying light.

My Tumblr
Alchemist
#229 Old 7th Jul 2010 at 9:40 AM
The Mortal Instruments Book One - City Of Bones by Cassandra Clare.
Mad Poster
#230 Old 7th Jul 2010 at 9:59 AM
The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien
Test Subject
#231 Old 7th Jul 2010 at 10:05 AM
Northanger Abbey - Jane Austen
I've read so many of Austen's books and just found this amoungst the clutter i call my room :]
Mad Poster
#232 Old 7th Jul 2010 at 3:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PixCii
The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien

If you know what's good for you, you'll skip the chapter about The Council of Elrond. That's an hour of my life filled with utter confusion and futility that I can't get back . I love Tolkien dearly and have read all of his work, but oh, God... the council of Elrond is the absolute worst. The film version distills all of the necessary material quite nicely and eliminates Gandalf's thirty-page speech.

Inventor
#233 Old 7th Jul 2010 at 3:16 PM
I watched The fellowship of the ring a week ago and loved it but I don't think I will be able to read the book. The film seems to simplify a lot but still having depth and I like it that way.

Darkness thrives in the void,
but always yields to purifying light.

My Tumblr
Mad Poster
#234 Old 7th Jul 2010 at 3:27 PM
I think that Peter Jackson did an exceptional job of pilfering what was necessary from the books while allowing a few less important characters and occurrences to fall by the wayside. After all, the fact that Frodo and Sam encounter a singing fool named Tom Bombadil on their way to Bree holds no significance whatsoever, in the grand thematic scheme. Jackson tightened up Tolkien's excesses (such as Gandalf's thirty-page speech) to make for a work that perhaps runs more smoothly than the novels, but loses none of the characters' spirits.

Jackson only made one big alteration, and despite having seen Return of the King numerous times, I still wonder why. When the hobbits return to the Shire after the destruction of the ring in the novel, they find that Galadriel's prophetic vision was ultimately accurate- the Shire was enslaved by Saruman. Frodo, too exhausted to fight another war, holes himself away in his hobbit hole while Sam leads the war to overthrow Saruman and ultimately becomes the mayor of the Shire. I think it lends a far more meaningful interpretation to Frodo giving Sam the book of his adventures and saying "The last pages are for you, Sam," because Frodo's story has come to a close- now it's Sam's turn to be the hero rather than the sidekick. Maybe, in cutting this out and going with the rosy, happy-go-lucky ending that he did, Jackson wants us to believe that evil will never return to Middle Earth because it was vanquished, but I never interpreted that to be Tolkien's perception. However, I digress. Despite his final omission (and the fact that he made Legolas and Gimli into bumbling idiots purely for comic relief), Jackson made wonderful movies out of wonderful books.

Theorist
#235 Old 7th Jul 2010 at 3:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by undercoverpenguin
Northanger Abbey - Jane Austen
I've read so many of Austen's books and just found this amoungst the clutter i call my room :]

That's my favorite Jane Austen.

"Your life was a liner I voyaged in."
Top Secret Researcher
#236 Old 13th Jul 2010 at 7:27 PM
The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy.

tumblr|lastfm
Forum Resident
#237 Old 14th Jul 2010 at 4:42 AM
Wicked by some Greggory Maguire or something.
Field Researcher
#238 Old 24th Jul 2010 at 4:42 PM
Linger by Maggie Stiefvater

and

Blood Red Snow White by Marcus Sedgwick
Mad Poster
#239 Old 24th Jul 2010 at 5:32 PM
The Sea, The Sea, by Iris Murdoch and Let the Great World Spin, by Colum McCann.

Top Secret Researcher
#240 Old 27th Jul 2010 at 7:49 PM
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire in French, and The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul, by Douglas Adams.

tumblr|lastfm
Mad Poster
#241 Old 28th Jul 2010 at 11:30 PM
Maps and Legends, by Michael Chabon, and The Crying of Lot 49, by Thomas Pynchon.

Mad Poster
#242 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 1:28 AM
"Ask and It Is given: Learning to Manifest Your Desires" by Esther and Abraham

"Going to the chapel of Love"

the girls club . statistics . yearbook .
Alchemist
#243 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 7:03 AM
"Blueback" by Tim Winton.
Easiest book I've ever read - it's for English. -__-
Mad Poster
#244 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 7:14 AM
^Winton's work may be easy to read, but when it comes to analysis, he's very deep in his work. Look out for a lot of religious undertones and links within the stories.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith <3
Top Secret Researcher
#245 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 10:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Zela
... Twilight...

I swore never to read it. Then I saw the film. It is actually quite good. A lot of my friends will think I have been placed by an impostor... Reading Twilight! Liking it! SHOCK!
I am sorry for being a traitor but, like I said, it is ACTUALLY quite good.

Lol, I agree. Don't hate me people 0_0.
It is really fun making fun of it, and yeah it is pretty stupid in places - but it is quite enjoyable to read

'Looking good dead', by Peter James.

Field Researcher
#246 Old 30th Jul 2010 at 1:28 AM
Im reading the mortal instruments #3 the city of glass by something Clare
Top Secret Researcher
#247 Old 6th Aug 2010 at 2:00 PM
Mrs. Dalloway, by Virgina Woolf.

tumblr|lastfm
Mad Poster
#248 Old 9th Aug 2010 at 1:04 AM
Enduring Love, by Ian McEwan and The Periodic Table, by Primo Levi.

Lab Assistant
#249 Old 9th Aug 2010 at 6:31 PM
Crime And Punishment, by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Lab Assistant
#250 Old 10th Aug 2010 at 1:31 AM
Soultaker by Bryan Smith

“Raise your children to love and embrace others. Tell them they are beautiful; they may grow up to be stars one day, and "beautiful" will never mean as much in a magazine as it will coming from you.”
― Kaiden Blake <3

Page 10 of 18