Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Sep 2016 at 2:13 PM Last edited by ToonElectrocrash : 18th Sep 2016 at 2:45 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Game lags a lot, and objects take forever to load/show up, and will sometimes have the mesh show up without the textures and take a while to load the textures. Game lags even more after I put my computer in sleep mode.
I know it's not my computer; my specs are good. I also have my game patched to the latest update, and all my mods are fully updated. Can anyone please help?

(Even when the mods folder sent itself to the recycling bin for some reason and I accidentally played the game without mods, it was still kinda lagging, so I know it's not the CC. What's going on?)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"WELCOME TO THE WOOOORLD OF TOMORROW!"
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 18th Sep 2016 at 2:33 PM
Hi there. If you would seriously like assistance here, we need more information to work with than your specs are good. I have two suggestions for you.

1 - Find the file called DeviceConfig.log in your TS3 game folder in Documents. Copy the first 40 lines or so (you can stop when it gets to the game options) and paste them into a reply here. Also please mention how many EPs you are running, and which ones.

2 - Please do not put the entire text of your message into the subject line. It doesn't help.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Sep 2016 at 2:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
Hi there. If you would seriously like assistance here, we need more information to work with than your specs are good. I have two suggestions for you.

1 - Find the file called DeviceConfig.log in your TS3 game folder in Documents. Copy the first 40 lines or so (you can stop when it gets to the game options) and paste them into a reply here. Also please mention how many EPs you are running, and which ones.

2 - Please do not put the entire text of your message into the subject line. It doesn't help.

Ok, sorry about the title thing, whoops!
Anyways, here's the config log (I blanked out any of my personal info, since the log does contain that). Also, I have all of the EPs running, and HELS. Also, my PC is running Windows 10, but for some reason, the log doesn't know that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 18th Sep 2016 at 3:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
That ain't right.

This ain't right.

I just checked Task Manager, and it said there's 84% memory used, and most of the memory is used up by a BUNCH of Google Chrome background tasks, and Windows Defender. I don't even use Windows Defender, but ever since the Anniversary Update, Windows Defender wanted to change that. Now it's my main anti-virus I have to use instead of Webroot (but Webroot is still running), and I didn't make that decision, Windows 10 did, and I can't change that. Oh well...
Windows 10, am I right? :p

And I don't know why the game recognizes my graphics card, but can't find it.

EDIT: added about that GPU thing. Also, Chrome just lagged a lot now. Something's happening, I don't know what :/
Just now edited to fix the bold. Also, for some reason, Chrome sometimes won't let me click anything that's on the bottom half of the window; instead, it makes itself inactive. It was doing that while I was trying to edit the post again, but it stopped doing that now after I clicked the edit button.

Mad Poster
#6 Old 18th Sep 2016 at 3:14 PM
I think the point Nitromon is trying to make is that DeviceConfig is a snapshot that is taken the moment you instruct the game to launch. If you are using 6 of your 8 GB for other things at that time, the game isn't going to have enough to work with. Whatever it is Chrome and Defender are doing, they need to be told to knock it off at game launch time. Somehow.

We can help you get your graphics card recognized too, but the runaway RAM usage is more serious and we would also need to know what steps you have taken to cap your graphics card's fps rate. TS3 does not have a built in frame rate limiter and the more powerful cards will run wild, causing all kinds of horrible issues like graphics glitches, screen tears, crashes, and ultimately can overheat doing itself and your system board irreparable damage.
Instructor
#7 Old 18th Sep 2016 at 3:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ToonElectrocrash
I don't even use Windows Defender, but ever since the Anniversary Update, Windows Defender wanted to change that. Now it's my main anti-virus I have to use instead of Webroot (but Webroot is still running), and I didn't make that decision, Windows 10 did, and I can't change that. Oh well...
Windows 10, am I right? :p

And I don't know why the game recognizes my graphics card, but can't find it.

Before fixing the lags, you need to fix your dual gpus settings, both for Win 10 and your TS3, everything you need to know about setting up Win 10 with dual switchable gpus for TS3 is here. Yes the Win 10 version 10670 aka Anniversary Edition is problematic, but you still need to make sure that your Win 10 recognizes both of your gpus and its switchable feature, once this step is done then make your TS3 recognized your GTX860M, then let's see if you still have lagging/freezing issues with TS3 after that
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 18th Sep 2016 at 3:20 PM Last edited by ToonElectrocrash : 18th Sep 2016 at 3:41 PM.
I think the point Nitromon is trying to make is that DeviceConfig is a snapshot that is taken the moment you instruct the game to launch. If you are using 6 of your 8 GB for other things at that time, the game isn't going to have enough to work with. Whatever it is Chrome and Defender are doing, they need to be told to knock it off at game launch time. Somehow.

We can help you get your graphics card recognized too, but the runaway RAM usage is more serious and we would also need to know what steps you have taken to cap your graphics card's fps rate. TS3 does not have a built in frame rate limiter and the more powerful cards will run wild, causing all kinds of horrible issues like graphics glitches, screen tears, crashes, and ultimately can overheat doing itself and your system board irreparable damage.

Huh? Runaway RAM? Steps I've taken? Cap my FPS? I didn't cap my FPS, or I don't think I have (I have fpslimiter, but the exe doesn't seem to work). Sorry @_@

What are screen tears? I think I have those.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 18th Sep 2016 at 3:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PapaEmy
Before fixing the lags, you need to fix your dual gpus settings, both for Win 10 and your TS3, everything you need to know about setting up Win 10 with dual switchable gpus for TS3 is here. Yes the Win 10 version 10670 aka Anniversary Edition is problematic, but you still need to make sure that your Win 10 recognizes both of your gpus and its switchable feature, once this step is done then make your TS3 recognized your GTX860M, then let's see if you still have lagging/freezing issues with TS3 after that

I tried to read it, but I no longer have the ability to read long walls of text... sorry about that. But of what I tried to read, it seems like I need to have an installer disk for Win10 for this to work. But I got Windows 10 as a free upgrade from 8.1, so I can't find this Sources folder... :/

EDIT: My build is 14393, and I don't know where to get the installer for that...

Mad Poster
#10 Old 18th Sep 2016 at 3:45 PM
You already know what "runaway RAM" is, processes using far too much when they shouldn't. You just said yourself that Task Manager is reporting 84% RAM usage, I assumed with the game not even running (though maybe I was incorrect about that) and your browser is malfunctioning. The game will not perform well if it cannot get enough RAM.

Most monitors run at refresh rates of 60 Hz, I am assuming this is a laptop so that would most likely be the case here. Your card is capable of delivering more fps (frames per second) than that, but the excess over your refresh rate is noise, not quality, since your monitor cannot keep up with that. Unlimited fps rates will lead to the issues I've described. Screen tears are splits or the appearance of disjointed scenes in the game, one of the many symptoms of an uncapped fps rate. Most players on Nvidia use the 3D settings in Nvidia Control Panel or Nvidia Inspector (requires a download and install) to enable vsync on TS3 to limit things to 60 fps so that your card and your monitor stay in synch throughout play.

This is how to use Nvidia Control Panel: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/dis...omment_14991412

But for your systems issues, I had better leave you in PapaEmy's capable hands as I have no first-hand experience with Win 10.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 18th Sep 2016 at 3:53 PM
You already know what "runaway RAM" is, processes using far too much when they shouldn't. You just said yourself that Task Manager is reporting 84% RAM usage, I assumed with the game not even running (though maybe I was incorrect about that) and your browser is malfunctioning. The game will not perform well if it cannot get enough RAM.

Most monitors run at refresh rates of 60 Hz, I am assuming this is a laptop so that would most likely be the case here. Your card is capable of delivering more fps (frames per second) than that, but the excess over your refresh rate is noise, not quality, since your monitor cannot keep up with that. Unlimited fps rates will lead to the issues I've described. Screen tears are splits or the appearance of disjointed scenes in the game, one of the many symptoms of an uncapped fps rate. Most players on Nvidia use the 3D settings in Nvidia Control Panel or Nvidia Inspector (requires a download and install) to enable vsync TS3 to limit things to 60 fps so that your card and your monitor stay in synch throughout play.

This is how to use Nvidia Control Panel: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/dis...omment_14991412

But for your systems issues, I had better leave you in PapaEmy's capable hands as I have no first-hand experience with Win 10.

Okay, yeah, I think I have screen tears sometimes. I'll go to the control panel and fix that. Thanks!

Instructor
#12 Old 18th Sep 2016 at 3:54 PM Last edited by PapaEmy : 18th Sep 2016 at 4:05 PM.
EDIT: My build is 14393, and I don't know where to get the installer for that...

That's what I'm worry about, as far as I know Microsoft haven't made that version available for download except for direct update/upgrade, but anyway let's try this first, go check your Device Manager and open its Display Adapters to know if your Win 10 recognizes both of your gpus or not, if both are recognized properly then you may skip the next step and just make TS3 to recognizes your GTX860M. Post screenshot of your Display Adapters if you can so it'll be easier to know if you have to do the whole steps or just skip the unnecessary one.

If by any change you need to do the whole steps and you need to fix your Win 10 or want to reinstall your Win 10 with Win 10 previous version 10586, you can download it here, this will let you download the 10586 version installer, don't worry about reactivating it as your computer already registered to have Win 10 installed, it will be done automatically when next time you're on-line with the internet. Just click download Tool, it will download the Win 10 Media Creation Tool to download the Win 10 installer, when it's preparing to download, don't choose to install or upgrade/update to your computer, choose to install it for another PC, for this you'll need at least 4 (or 8 gb for multi installer) flash drive plugged in, saved your Win 10 installer to your flash drive, this will take sometime. And then just follow the steps I gave you earlier above.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 18th Sep 2016 at 4:05 PM
That's what I'm worry about, as far as I know Microsoft haven't made that version for download available expect for direct update/upgrade, but anyway let's try this first, go check your Device Manager and open its Display Adapters to know if your Win 10 recognizes both of your gpus or not, if both are recognized properly then you may skip the next step and just make TS3 to recognizes your GTX860M. Post screenshot of your Display Adapters if you can so it'll be easier to know if you have to do the whole steps or just skip the unnecessary one.

If by any change you need to do the whole steps and you need to fix your Win 10 or want to reinstall your Win 10 with Win 10 previous version 10586, you can download it here, this will let you download the 10586 version installer, don't worry about reactivating it as your computer already registered to have Win 10 installed, it will be done automatically when next time you're on-line with the internet. Just click download Tool, it will download the Win 10 Media Creation Tool to download the Win 10 installer, when it's preparing to download, don't choose to install or upgrade/update to your computer, choose to install it for another PC, for this you'll need at least 4 (or 8 gb for multi installer) flash drive plugged in, saved your Win 10 installer to your flash drive, this will take sometime. And then just follow the steps I gave you earlier above.

Seems like it recognizes my display adapters. I don't know what .NET3FX is, or if I have it, though...

Instructor
#14 Old 18th Sep 2016 at 4:08 PM

Seems like it recognizes my display adapters. I don't know what .NET3FX is, though...

No you don't need to do that because your Win 10 has already recognized them, just go to the next step to make TS3 recognized your GTX860M, the one you'll need to replace will be the GTX660M in the GraphicCards.sgr file for your GTX860M recognized by TS3.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 18th Sep 2016 at 4:16 PM
No you don't need to do that because your Win 10 has already recognized them, just go to the next step to make TS3 recognized your GTX860M, the one you'll need to replace will be the GTX660M in the GraphicCards.sgr file for your GTX860M recognized by TS3.

Okay, how do I exactly do that? Just replace "GeForce GTX 660M" with "GeForce GTX 860M"?

Instructor
#16 Old 18th Sep 2016 at 4:29 PM
Okay, how do I exactly do that? Just replace "GeForce GTX 660M" with "GeForce GTX 860M"?

just follow the Replacing Device ID with your gpu Device ID section in the tutorial link I gave you
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 18th Sep 2016 at 4:30 PM
Also, I can't find NVIDIA Inspector. I just have NVIDIA GeForce Experience and NVIDIA Control Panel. Also, I don't want to delete my documents folder!

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 18th Sep 2016 at 4:30 PM
just follow the Replacing Device ID with your gpu Device ID section in the tutorial link I gave you

Thanks.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 18th Sep 2016 at 4:37 PM
But how do I get the FPS Limiter?

Instructor
#20 Old 18th Sep 2016 at 4:45 PM
But how do I get the FPS Limiter?

The FPS Limiter 0.2 is available here somewhere at MTS (but I just forgot where is the link to get it), the FPS Limiter with 3Booter from Maty is available here at moreawesomethanyou, but if your TS3 is patched to 1.69 you can't use them, just use Nvidia Inspector you can download it here in this link to download it for TS3 1.69.

Edited:

PS: You don't have to delete your TS3 Documents folder, just move it somewhere else temporarily or rename it so TS3 will regenerate a new one for you, once making your gpu recognized by TS3 is done, just move back your saved games, savedsims, mods and cc back to the new one, you'll be fine
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#21 Old 18th Sep 2016 at 4:50 PM
Okay, I found NVIDIA Inspector, how do I use it with TS3? How do I limit the FPS?

Instructor
#22 Old 18th Sep 2016 at 4:52 PM
Okay, I found NVIDIA Inspector, how do I use it with TS3? How do I limit the FPS?

Once you've downloaded it, install/run it, and click the tools button next to the Driver Version's box (like in the picture in the link), then a new window will pop up for you to create the profile you need for TS3 or you can just scroll down the Profiles Box down to "Sims3", then.. under "Sync and Refresh" click the Frame Rates Limiter and change it from "off" to "30" or "60", then click "apply changes", then you can also click the "Create a desktop shortcut to run profiles settings standalone". So next time you need to run it, just click the one you've just created on your desktop, and just check the settings again and click "Apply changes" again (if you have to to make sure it runs before you run TS3), and that's all how to use it.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#23 Old 18th Sep 2016 at 4:57 PM
Once you've downloaded it, install/run it, and click the tools button next to the Driver Version's box (like in the picture in the link), then a new window will pop up for you to create the profile you need for TS3 or you can just scroll down the Profiles Box down to "Sims3", then.. under "Sync and Refresh" click the Frame Rates Limiter and change it from "off" to "30" or "60", then click "apply changes", then you can also click the "Create a desktop shortcut to run profiles settings standalone". So next time you need to run it, just click the one you've just created on your desktop, and just check the settings again and click "Apply changes" again (if you have to to make sure it runs before you run TS3), and that's all how to use it.

Okay, I've already edited the settings and figured out the Framerate limiter, but, where is the desktop shortcut button?

EDIT: Nvm, found the button. Its icon was obvious, but I didn't notice the button until now :p

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#24 Old 18th Sep 2016 at 5:08 PM
Do I have to have NV Inspector running while I play TS3 to limit the FPS or no?

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#25 Old 18th Sep 2016 at 5:13 PM Last edited by ToonElectrocrash : 18th Sep 2016 at 5:39 PM.
Uh oh, when I ran the game, it ran in 800x600 and said that it couldn't recognize my graphics card. Help?

EDIT: I looked at the Device Config and noticed that it said "Found 1, Matched 0". This doesn't look good.

ETA: This is what I did to the Graphics Cards sgr.

Page 1 of 2