Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Apr 2012 at 6:44 PM
Default Flagging a World as a City or Vacation Locale
This thread is for duscussion and questions about the following tutorial:

Flagging a World as a City or Vacation Localewiki

For in-depth technical information, please see this thread.

If your question is not answered there, please feel free to post it here!
1 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 21st May 2012 at 6:57 PM
Hey Sample -- once again you are amazing!

So, am I reading this right, I can set non-vacation suburb world to be Egyptian? Will it function normally with the extra stuff noted in the thread, or will it only allow specialized groceries, etc?
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 7th Jun 2012 at 8:35 AM
I followed the instructions in the thread that you have linked but I tried to turn Starlight Shores into a city instead of Sunset Valley, and I didn't get an option to save. So instead I used save as, and somehow it turned the .world into a .package. Did I miss something? Below are the steps I followed, I changed number 3, because I was using SS instead of a custom world.

1) backup your files!
2) Install the world you want to test with, if it isn't already installed.
3) Go to [Game Install Location]\ Electronic Arts\ The Sims 3\ GameData\ Shared\ NonPackaged\ Worlds\ Starlight Shores.World
4) Download this: LINK
5) In S3pe, click Resource>Import>From File... and browse to the file you just downloaded. Click open, make sure 'replace duplicates' is selected and 'compress' is unselected. Click OK.
6) File> Save so that your modified world is saved.
7) Delete CASPartCache.package, compositorCache.package, scriptCache.package, simCompositorCache.package and the folder WorldCaches (if any of them exist) from Documents\ Electronic Arts\ The Sims 3.
8) Play the world! It's best if you can test without any mods installed (as certain mods like Awesome or Twallan's Overwatch can influence traffic). Also, make sure you have a backup of your valuable savegames, so that you won't lose anything if this explodes.
9) Please keep note of any glitches, broken things, odd things, good things that happen. You could also test some food trucks- download here if you don't already have them:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=427515
Both are in buydebug>Misc; you will probably have to place at least three parking spaces with trucks on to be able to readily notice them driving around in your world.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#4 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 11:29 AM
silverwolf_6677, if you are not getting the option to save it could be due to:
1) You have not correctly imported the resource, so that S3PE does not see the world file as being changed,
2) You are changing a world file that is located in the Game Install files, in which case your computer's UAC will be preventing S3PE from editing the file.

For the second problem, just copy the world file to your desktop and edit it there, then copy the file back (you'll have to give admin permission to copy).

When you save as, S3PE will automatically assign a .package extension, in that case you just need to change the extension to .world as the two are interchangeable in this case.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 12:00 PM
Even after copying it to the desktop and editing it there, I still didn't get an option to save so I chose save as again but this time I changed the .package into a .world (Didn't know they were interchangeable) and put it pack in it's folder and tested it in game. Works perfectly, taxis everywhere Sorry about the multi-post simsample, I thought you were out of town (I lurked and checked out your journal ) so I was hoping someone else would know what to do. But thank you for your help Problem solved.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#6 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 2:03 PM
The permissions probably say 'read only' still! Oh well, I'm glad you got it fixed- well done!
Instructor
#7 Old 10th Dec 2012 at 11:08 PM
The other thread is locked so I hope it's OK to post here... since Pets came out I've been flagging most of of my custom worlds as cities because I can't stand the wild horses roaming around (and so many of them too!). The downside is the traffic but maybe it could be avoided not placing roads, or just one road for the fire engine, ice-cream truck etc...

Anyway, I loved the idea of flagging them as a vacation locale (less cars, access to world items, tourist showing up) but the damn horses are there too!!! Funny because I've never seen a horse in Egypt or France (in the game, I mean), so my question is: is there a way to "tune" a world so it's (say) flagged as a city, has no horses or dears, but eventually has stray cats and dogs? Or flag it as "France" but without the horses?

Sorry if this has been answered somewhere already, I couldn't find anything and I swear I searched and searched and searched...

Thanks!

(My guess is that one should edit the binary file that has to be imported, but how?)

"Deep down I'm pretty superficial"

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#8 Old 26th Dec 2012 at 6:56 PM
No, you can't tune them in that way. You could, however, use Twallan's Register, which allows animal control:
http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Register

Traffic will allow you to fine tune those fake taxis you get with cities, as well as the ice cream truck and food trucks:
http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Traffic

If you use these in conjunction with the locale flags, you may get what you want. Bear in mind that flagging a world as a city or a vacation locale has implications for gameplay, such as opportunities and careers, though.
Instructor
#9 Old 29th Dec 2012 at 6:47 PM
Interesting, thanks a lot!

Yes, I realize about the opportunities and careers, specially in vacation locales I suppose? I tested one world as "France" and had a Sim work in the law enforcement career but he didn't seem to have a uniform... I was hoping for a gendarme uniform like on the damn cover of the box, but I guess EA was just teasing us?

Oh, about horses in vacation locales, I only saw one, once, so I don't know...

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#10 Old 29th Dec 2012 at 7:41 PM
You could always change the sim's career outfit, EA always manage to dupe us!

I'm not sure whether horses show up in vacation locales in an unmodded game, maybe someone else knows. I haven't played a vacation in an unmodded game for a few years!
Instructor
#11 Old 30th Dec 2012 at 9:51 AM
I'll do a test, flagging a small simple world as a vacation locale and playing for a few sim days/weeks, see what happens. I'll be back with more info about this.
I'll try to test all three locales, France, China, and Egypt (and it might be fun actually?)

I've played with custom worlds flagged as cities for a long time already and those work fine, didn't test the food truck extensively though...

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
Original Poster
#12 Old 30th Dec 2012 at 12:18 PM
Be careful if you use Twallan's Traveler mod though- we know that worlds that have custom flagging can be troublesome with that.

It'll be good to hear how you get on, and what you find out!

(I shouldn't have to say backup you files first, right?)
Instructor
#13 Old 30th Dec 2012 at 10:09 PM
I started testing "Egypt", I'll inform of my progress.

I have a bit of trouble with EIG so I don't intend to use them with the Traveler mod... I would need to build the lots and create a base camp and that's beyond my possibilities right now. As for backup, thanks for reminding me, but these will be just test worlds on a clean game, so no worry.

Field Researcher
#14 Old 20th Apr 2015 at 4:44 PM
Has anyone figured out what the "other" bits in the World flag mean? We know that bit 06 flags it is a different type of world, but what about the others? I am trying to find out what makes a University world allow rentable lots that act like regular lots and NOT apartments.