Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Jan 2012 at 7:41 AM
Default Have you ever listened to a song that makes you cry?
What I'm asking here, is have you ever listened to a song, to the point no matter how many times you have listened too, you always cry to it? No matter what, even when you think of the song, you cry?

I do. I mean there are songs out there, that just touch my heart, that I cry just listening to the opening of the song.

There is a song, and I so wish I knew the name of it. But every time, I hear it. I think of my best friend in Junior High, he made the beginning of my 6th grade year (The first year of Middle School or Junior High) seem like it would be easy. But in January, he died. He was only 13. During his funeral or memorial service, they played this song. And every time I hear it, I cry. Wishing he was still alive. He was my best friend, and made me laugh. And now...All I have to remember him by is that song, and the memories.

And Natalie Merchant's My Skin makes me cry. The words are so powerful. And the way the song comes off. I just love My Skin, even if it makes me cry.

Do you have a song or songs that makes you cry?

"Queen of the Damned seeks knight in shining piercings for pleasure, pain and purring"--Scary Mary from the Urbz: Sims In The City

"A Famous Explorer once said: 'The extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are.'"--Lara Croft from Tomb Raider 2013
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 24th Jan 2012 at 7:42 AM
When I was much younger, I played Fur Elise, and I started crying for no reason. I still remember that. Also the song by the Beatles, A Day In The Life.

I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Jan 2012 at 7:50 AM
Fur Elise? Do you know why Fur Elise? And I have never heard of that song by the Beatles, I'll have to go listen to it. I am sorry that those two songs made you cry, though. Some songs can just sting a heart, and make people...Just feel totally lost with tears.

"Queen of the Damned seeks knight in shining piercings for pleasure, pain and purring"--Scary Mary from the Urbz: Sims In The City

"A Famous Explorer once said: 'The extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are.'"--Lara Croft from Tomb Raider 2013
Mad Poster
#4 Old 24th Jan 2012 at 8:59 AM
There are songs I can never sing for myself, let alone for friends without dissolving in tears.

Elton John's The Greatest Discovery is one, when he sings about meeting his baby brother for the first time. It begins with the description of a toddler going to investigate a new sound after a flurry of excitement in his home. The parents' reaction grips me, "Large hands lift him through the air, excited eyes contain him there." The last part is the clincher: "and all you ever learned from them, until you grew much older, did not compare with when they said, "this is your brand new brother"."

Le Paquet D'Epingles - the version that Beausoleil sings also always makes me cry. One voice asks someone to marry him over and over by promising something different in each verse - a packet of pins (valuable at the time when the song was first written - it's very old and traditional), a kitten, a beautiful house, a wedding dress, and all of his gold. She refuses him each time. Finally he offers her the keys to his heart and all of his love. Then she sings, "I will marry you". After that, each verse is, "If this is how your love begins, I will accept your packet of pins (or house, kitten, dress, etc...)." I'm tearing up now thinking of it.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Jan 2012 at 9:04 AM
There is a lot of powerful songs. I know this may sound lame. But Glamorous Sky by Mika Nakashima makes me cry, because it reminds me of a really good friend of mine, when her and I used to role play. Our stories in our role plays were so powerful, and dear goodness I miss her so freaking much. She was always there for me as well. And she is a major sweetheart. She is what you call a true friend. And her and my character would ALWAYS get together. But yeah, Glamorous Sky makes me cry

Scholar
#6 Old 25th Jan 2012 at 2:07 AM Last edited by Oaktree : 25th Jan 2012 at 2:57 AM.
I don't think I've ever cried by listening to a song by itself (though some movies are good at combining music with a sad scene to really bring on the waterworks, e.g. LotR), but there are plenty of songs that send chills down my spine when I listen to them.

-Ilia's Theme

-Hide and Seek (The King's Singers' rendition). Also this version where the music is set to a higher key. I know it's sacrilege to modify a song like that, especially since the chord structure is destroyed in the transition, but I shiver when I hear the high notes.

-The Sounds of Silence by Simon and Garfunkel

-Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley

-Trouble by Cat Stevens. Combined with the scene from Harold and Maude, it's a real tear-jerker. I'd totally recommend that movie if you're looking for something sweet, sad, cheerful, and quirky.

-Several songs from Braid

-Bach's Cello Suite No. 1 Praeludium (this being my favorite rendition)

-Beethoven's Tempest, 3rd Movement (not my favorite rendition, but the best I could find on Youtube)

-Several songs from Dragon Age: Origins

-This song from Skyrim (The beautiful little dissonances!)

-Stories from Emona IV by Maya Filipic. Also lots of her other stuff, especially Anthos. I can't find much of it on Youtube, but it's all available free at jamendo.com.

-String Quartet No. 2, 3rd Movement by Borodin

-Tristesse by Chopin. Side note: This song has been my personal (rather bearable) earworm for the past ~10 years of my life. I got a piano compilation CD when I was a kid that had this song and it just pops into my head and forces me to hum it every now and then.

Anyway, I'm not sure how many of these songs would make someone cry, but, if you're anything like me, listening to these songs back to back will probably put you in a bittersweet mood.

Quote: Originally posted by KKiryu007Joker
Also the song by the Beatles, A Day In The Life.

I absolutely love this song. It's another one of those songs that puts me in a really mellow mood/sends chills down my spine.

EDIT: I just remembered a song that made me cry while singing it in choir. Brahms's Geistliches Lied. No, that isn't a recording of the choir I was in. But being part of such a beautifully harmonious, Romantic-Baroque sounding piece brought tears to my eyes. It's my favorite song out of every song I've ever sung in choir.
#7 Old 25th Jan 2012 at 8:42 AM
Death Cab for Cutie's Brothers on a Hotel Bed was something that made my eyes water a bit the first time I heard it haha. If I get in the right frame of mind and put that on I'm right back to when I was a teenager. Same with a lot of Stars songs, something about them...

Quote: Originally posted by Oaktree
-Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley

this one too
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 27th Jan 2012 at 7:28 PM
Anything used in those abused animal commercials. A few Taylor Swift songs also make me tear up. Tied Together With a Smile, Never Grow Up, Safe and Sound. This one is a bit pathetic. I can't listen to Brother, My Brother from the first Pokemon movie without crying. Those damn Pikachu's fighting and Ash turning to stone gets me everytime.

Say no to bug babies.
Test Subject
#9 Old 27th Jan 2012 at 10:23 PM
Any of those "Daddy/Daughter" songs that they play at weddings. Gets me all the time.

I don't have an extraordinarily good or bad relationship with my parents, it's just a normal parent-child relationship. But those songs... gets me in the heart each and every time.
Especially Never Grow Up - Taylor Swift.

Goddamit. Who put these onions here??
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 2nd Feb 2012 at 8:58 AM
I really hate sad songs that make me cry. And I finally found the song, that was played at my best friend's memorial service:

Walk Of Life

Mad Poster
#11 Old 2nd Feb 2012 at 9:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nevermore Raven
I really hate sad songs that make me cry.

Well my favorite songs are usually high energy ones that keep me awake.

I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT.
Scholar
#12 Old 2nd Feb 2012 at 1:22 PM
I really love sad songs. I guess I sort of like not just being happy all the time. I appreciate experiencing a range of emotions.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 2nd Feb 2012 at 3:30 PM
A song that always makes me tear up is Somewhere from West Side Story, especially as sung by Reri Grist on the original cast album. If I was an actor I could use that song if I needed to cry. Also Mad World. And some of the Puccini arias.
Theorist
#14 Old 2nd Feb 2012 at 4:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by KKiryu007Joker
When I was much younger, I played Fur Elise, and I started crying for no reason. I still remember that.

Ah, Fur Elise. When I first heard that song, it was used as a theme in a horror movie, and I got scared hearing the song for a while. Doesn't help that some elevators like to play this song as a BGM when the doors closed. The bad quality audio, combined with the echoes it produces made it sound eerier that it should be.
Instructor
#15 Old 2nd Feb 2012 at 6:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by OHHxbby
Any of those "Daddy/Daughter" songs that they play at weddings. Gets me all the time.

yes Butterfly Kisses is one of those I use to cry when i heard it but that was when I still had a good relationship with my dad. I'd probably start sobbing if I heard it now diffrent reasons.

I'm currently sobbing at Good To You by Marianas Trench I love it but its kinda painful to hear. Also I could cry for days listening to Thinking of You by Katy Perry more so If I watched the music video its heartbreaking.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 2nd Feb 2012 at 7:24 PM
The eighth opening to KHReborn makes me cry because I want more episodes....
I really miss that series.

Been downloading like crazy...so many great creators here! Neglecting forums...will be back soon...ish.
Forum Resident
#17 Old 2nd Feb 2012 at 7:42 PM
Sayonara no Jikan- Kokia. I don't remember the lyrics but, I heard it first while watching a Suzaku/Lelouch AMV. Made me tear up.
Inventor
#18 Old 3rd Feb 2012 at 11:38 AM
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 3rd Feb 2012 at 3:12 PM
Ha alright I have one Song, it was back last Year before my Favorite Band Nickelback released their new Album, I was so much affected by the first two Songs they released, that I thought I won't like the new Album, but then one week before the released the Songs for a pre listing and when I came across the Song Lullaby I was sitting here around, crying like a baby, the song totally hit some buttons and it still does so yes a very sad song, a very sad background story a pretty good song and at last I think the entire Album is just fabulous...

But there a probably even more sad songs outside there Damien Rice and nine crimes is another one...

They tell us everything's alright and we just go along;
How can we fall asleep at night when something's clearly wrong?
When we can feed a starving world with what we throw away;
But all we serve are empty words that always tastes the same...

Nickelback - When We Stand Together
Top Secret Researcher
#20 Old 3rd Feb 2012 at 11:13 PM
Haven't heard this song for almost 20 years but I found it again the other day and choked up when I heard it.

Suzanne Vega - The Queen and the Soldier
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#21 Old 4th Feb 2012 at 1:47 AM
I know..I have another one, that just popped into my head, when pico22 brought up Britney Spears:

Everytime by Britney Spears

Alchemist
#22 Old 6th Feb 2012 at 5:04 PM
Come Home, by One Republic and Sara Bareilles. Always tears me up for some reason.

Evil doesn't worry about not being good. - The Warden, Dragon Age Origins
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 6th Feb 2012 at 11:31 PM
Looking In and Close My Eyes by Mariah Carey have always made me tear up a bit. Her best songs are her introspective ones and some of the lyrics in these particular melodies hit a little too close to home for me.
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 7:54 PM
HURT - the Johnny Cash version

http://youtu.be/l95D7leeU3w
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 24th Feb 2012 at 2:38 PM
Brought Up That Way Taylor Swift

Goodbye My Lover by James Blunt

and you probably find it silly, but Because of You by Kelly Clarkson is the one that made me actually cry. It reminds me of my father.

Life Stage: Young Adult

Traits: Artistic, Bookworm, Dog Person, Over-Emotional, Good

LTW: Master of the Arts
Page 1 of 4