Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
#76 Old 30th Apr 2008 at 2:04 PM Last edited by bluetexasbonnie : 30th Apr 2008 at 2:46 PM.
HP - Thank you.

Lunie - When you say 'same subset name' are you referring back to SimPE? (i.e - be sure that in the end all pieces with the same mapping, point to the same texture.) Or is there another set of subsets that I have yet to recognize?

I wasn't aware that milkshake could do UV-mapping. (Now that I know, I'm looking at the help for doing such.) All of the object creation tutorials I've read (a grand total of 3) that use milkshake always send you to uv-mapper. Is there some functionality or ease of use that uv-mapper classic has but milkshake doesn't?

Retired from the Sims world. Please continue to enjoy my creations. Thank you to everyone who helped -- by either giving me the tools and knowledge to create or by encouraging me & downloading my creations. The Sims community is the BEST!
Advertisement
Instructor
#77 Old 30th Apr 2008 at 4:47 PM
Thanks again HP! Now it's clear for me.
I'm working with blender 3D and I know that it also has a mapping function that seems to be quite useful but not reall easy to understand...
Do we have a good tutorial about that here or do you know one on another homepage?
Test Subject
#78 Old 12th Jun 2008 at 5:28 AM
Default How to get rid of UV maps
When I tried to combine 2 meshes, one with a UV mapping and the other without, I decided to get rid of the UV mapping because it looks funny in the game. How do I get rid of it?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#79 Old 12th Jun 2008 at 2:44 PM
To get rid of an old UV map, you just have to create a new UV map for that mesh.
The new map will automatically replace the old map, because each mesh can only have one UV map.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Test Subject
#80 Old 13th Jun 2008 at 5:29 AM Last edited by dazzerfong : 13th Jun 2008 at 6:31 AM.
I made a new UV map, but there was nothing to override! When I combined a mesh (the top) that has the UV mapping but the other (the bottom) without one, it says that the UV mapping on the top doesn't exist. However in bodyshop there is a very distinct difference between the top and the bottom (although it is combined). Here's a screenshot.
Screenshots
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#81 Old 13th Jun 2008 at 9:21 AM
Sorry, but what program "says that the UVmap on the top doesn't exist"? UVmapper or Milkshape?
And by the way, are you creating a clothing mesh? Because in this case using UVmapper would cause your mesh to lose all the joint assignments, which is a problem...
If you are trying to create (or re-create) the UV-map with Milkshape, then I'm not expert enough to give you an answer (this tutorial is about creating UVmaps with UVmapper Classic).

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Test Subject
#82 Old 14th Jun 2008 at 5:29 AM
No, what I meant was that in the beginning when I checked the material section there was nothing in it, although when you upload it in the game there is like a tonal difference between the top and bottom meshes which I regrouped. Is this either a problem with the UV mapping or a problem with the texture/normal mapping in the Bodyshop, because I think that the bottom mesh originally did not have a normal mapping in it.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#83 Old 14th Jun 2008 at 9:05 AM
There's a misunderstanding here that must be cleared up...

An object will correctly appear in game if it has:
- the mesh, composed by triangular faces;
- the texture (or material) that is applied over the mesh surface;
- the UV-map, that defines the way the material must be applied to the surfaces (i.e. which part of the texture must be applied to each face);
- the smoothing (or normals), that defines how the light hits each face, and is used to hide (smooth) the hard edges between two adjacent faces, so to make the mesh look rounded even if it's composed by flat triangles.

In the Sims2 packages, the mesh, the UVmap and the smoothing are contained in the GMDC; and the material is defined by a TXMT (Material definition) with its associated TXTR (Texture).

In Milkshape you import the mesh that you exported from the GMDC; and therefore only the faces, the UV-map and the smoothing will be imported in Milkshape, but the "Material" section of Milkshape will be empty, because you don't import any material along with the mesh.
This applies the other way round: when you export the object from Milkshape, you only export mesh+UVmap+smoothing, but not the material.
Mind that what I said above is true regardless the format you choose to import/export: you can work in OBJ format, or XSI or TXT, or even export the entire GMDC, but still you will lose any information about the material.
And this applies to any 3D editor and UV-mapper program: you can move between SimPE and an external program only the mesh+UVmap+smoothing, but the materials are always lot (you have to replace the texture in SimPE in order to change the material).

That said, I think that the visible difference between the upper and lower part of your mesh is due to a bad smoothing, it's not related to the UVmap (in fact, the "material" applied to the mesh, in the screenshot posted above, is a uniform yellow: uniform colors appear the same regardless the UVmap, but are affected by the smoothing).

I don't know how to fix the smoothing using Milkshape (I use UVmapper Pro for that, because Milkshape is known for badly messing up the smoothing if left unattended), but there may be a tutorial in the Create forum, either in the Object Creation or in the BodyShop section.

Lab Assistant
#84 Old 18th Jun 2008 at 11:14 PM
For food, is there a certain way you're suppose to make the UVMaps? I just cannot get passed the texturing phase cuz my texture won't show up correctly, and it's mainly the preparation stage that's giving me the hardest time.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#85 Old 19th Jun 2008 at 12:44 AM
Food is UV-mapped just like any other mesh. The main difference is that food mesh uses "blend groups", i.e. contains several (usually 3) alternative meshes that are swapped by the game while the food is being prepared or eaten.
Unfortunately, only Milkshape can manage the blend groups, and therefore you must rely on milkshape to do the UVmapping too (you can't export the mesh in OBJ format and import it in UVmapper...).

There should be a tutorial about UVmapping with Milkshape in the BodyShop forum.

Lab Assistant
#86 Old 21st Jun 2008 at 2:22 AM
Thank you so much.
Lab Assistant
#87 Old 30th Nov 2008 at 5:55 AM
This was the most helpful thread to date! Thanks so much!

Nikki

Thank you for everything! You all are great those who create and those who download! Thank you!

If you're looking to read a Sims 4 drama visit Amanda Lived
Field Researcher
#88 Old 30th Nov 2010 at 6:20 AM
This was really helpful! I just want to make sure that I understand it correctly, if you map your objects in separate pieces, you can move them across the entire space in any order?
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#89 Old 30th Nov 2010 at 7:26 PM
Yes, if mapped separately you can move them around however you wish. Mapping each piece separately is usually easier and gives better results. It's also helpful if you mesh/map one part that is going to be duplicated - like table legs. Mesh/map one leg then duplicate and move the mesh in your 3d editor. This makes each leg share the exact same space on your texture, and you don't have to map each of the legs.
Field Researcher
#90 Old 1st Dec 2010 at 1:26 PM
Oh ok, that's what I thought from reading the basic object tutorial but, when I tried it, it didn't work out very well. I thought I went overboard moving the pieces around. I'm guessing I forgot to save the model in uvmapper.

Oh and I made a lamp I saved the pieces that I wanted to be distinct separate, mapped it and then went back into Milkshape and regrouped and it seemed to have messed up the mapping when I imported the mesh. Did I miss something?

EDIT: Another question... sorry. How do you know which map is best for your object? Like if you make something with a lot of swirls or twists. Would it be the shape you used to get the twists and swirls? For example, If I started with a box and curved it all kinds of ways would I use the box map?
Page 4 of 4