Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Oct 2016 at 7:16 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Help with a custom TV channel
Okay so first of all, I don't post too much, so I apologize if this is in the wrong suggestion.
Anyways, I need feedback on something I'm working on (and plan to upload to MTS.)

I was watching a Sims 4 video by Chrillsims3 and I thought "why not have my sims watch it? They must be tired of watching the Cooking Channel." I knew that there was a tutorial on making custom TV channels for Sims 2, so I decided to follow that.

I followed the tutorial here and I have a .AVI file that's 128x128, 15 fps, and 9:55 minutes long.
If there's a time limit can someone tell me?

So my problem is that, well, everything's fine. I changed the Broadcast file, have the package in downloads, etc.
But when I try to open it in-game (turn the custom channel on) it's just a flashing blue screen. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

I can answer any questions if my post's incomplete.
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, thanks in advance! :lovestruc
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 28th Oct 2016 at 8:38 PM
No direct experience with this so no suggestion, sorry. However, if you post this in the Creator Feedback Forum and attach the download there, you may find someone who has done this before, or who can playtest it and fiddle with it directly and make suggestions.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#3 Old 28th Oct 2016 at 8:39 PM
This would probably be better in Creator Feedback (http://www.modthesims.info/fd.php?f=473) or even in the modding or creator discussion sections. But, as I remember it, it's not just creating a package file for the channel but also you need to add lines to the broadcast.ini file. Did you do that?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 28th Oct 2016 at 9:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
This would probably be better in Creator Feedback (http://www.modthesims.info/fd.php?f=473) or even in the modding or creator discussion sections. But, as I remember it, it's not just creating a package file for the channel but also you need to add lines to the broadcast.ini file. Did you do that?

I've done that as well, thanks for trying to help. (Put it in the Broadcast.ini.) But it might just be too long. I'm going to try it with a shorter .AVI file.
I in fact tried to post in Creator Feedback, but for some reason it wouldn't post it.

Sorry for posting in the wrong place, I can try to post this there too.
Would it be okay if I posted this same post in the Creator Feedback, or should I wait a while?
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#5 Old 28th Oct 2016 at 11:52 PM
I'd post over there now if you can since this is really a creator's problem. However, I'm a bit puzzled why you went to the trouble of creating a whole new TV station when you could just add the file to one of the existing stations.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Alchemist
#6 Old 29th Oct 2016 at 12:12 AM
Are you using UC? If so, try this person's solution: http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...388#post4681388

If you're using a different collection, the same general idea might apply.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#7 Old 29th Oct 2016 at 12:51 AM
Where did you put the avi file? What compression are you using? Could you show screenshots of your avi file location and the contents/ location of your broadcast file?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 29th Oct 2016 at 3:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by omglo
Are you using UC? If so, try this person's solution: http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...388#post4681388

If you're using a different collection, the same general idea might apply.

I'm using Ultimate Collection, however (forgive my stupidity) I couldn't figure out where you wanted me to go on that page.

Quote: Originally posted by maxon
I'd post over there now if you can since this is really a creator's problem. However, I'm a bit puzzled why you went to the trouble of creating a whole new TV station when you could just add the file to one of the existing stations.

If this makes any sense, I'm a Maxis Match and Simlish freak, so I'd like to keep the Simfacts videos separate from the SBN. It just doesn't make sense to me to have my sims watching like the Sim Broadcasting network and all the sudden be watching Simfacts, ya know?

Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Where did you put the avi file? What compression are you using? Could you show screenshots of your avi file location and the contents/ location of your broadcast file?

The AVI file is in C:\Users\Username\Documents\EA Games\The Sims™ 2 Ultimate Collection\Movies\Broadcast\tvstation_simfacts (I have it listed correctly in the .package file.) Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "compression." (Again, I'm not really experienced with modding.) If you could explain I can tell you what you need to know. The only thing in the folder where the AVI file is is the AVI file. If it helps, I'm using UC.

Thanks so much for helping, I can answer any questions.
I'm actually pretty sure the issue is length, unless it has something to do with it being a custom channel. It's probably different with a custom channel then putting a one minute video in the Commercials folder.

Thanks so much again!!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#9 Old 29th Oct 2016 at 3:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by WizardBabies
The AVI file is in C:\Users\Username\Documents\EA Games\The Sims™ 2 Ultimate Collection\Movies\Broadcast\tvstation_simfacts (I have it listed correctly in the .package file.)

Try putting it in the gamedata folders. The later EPs changed how the TV programmes worked as they had extra channels, so that tutorial by Eric is a little outdated. My custom TV channel has the files modded as such:
The Broadcast.ini file I modded is in the latest game folder: [install location]\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Mansion and Garden Stuff\TSData\Res\UserData\Config\Broadcast.ini
The avi files I put here: [install location]\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 FreeTime\TSData\Res\Movies\Broadcast\nameofcustomtvchannel (it should go here since Freetime was the last EP with extra TV channels).
And the package file goes in the Downloads folder as usual.
You'll need to find the appropriate locations for your Ultimate Collection- I can't remember the file structure for that! So your filepaths will be different.

Quote: Originally posted by WizardBabies
Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "compression." (Again, I'm not really experienced with modding.) If you could explain I can tell you what you need to know.

I meant which codec- this tutorial for example shows how to use the VP61 codec.
http://modthesims.info/t/84234
(Pictures are lost in the thread but still attached to the post). Try the above first though before you mess about with your movie file again!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 29th Oct 2016 at 5:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Try putting it in the gamedata folders. The later EPs changed how the TV programmes worked as they had extra channels, so that tutorial by Eric is a little outdated. My custom TV channel has the files modded as such:
The Broadcast.ini file I modded is in the latest game folder: [install location]\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Mansion and Garden Stuff\TSData\Res\UserData\Config\Broadcast.ini
The avi files I put here: [install location]\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 FreeTime\TSData\Res\Movies\Broadcast\nameofcustomtvchannel (it should go here since Freetime was the last EP with extra TV channels).
And the package file goes in the Downloads folder as usual.
You'll need to find the appropriate locations for your Ultimate Collection- I can't remember the file structure for that! So your filepaths will be different.

I meant which codec- this tutorial for example shows how to use the VP61 codec.
http://modthesims.info/t/84234
(Pictures are lost in the thread but still attached to the post). Try the above first though before you mess about with your movie file again!

I've changed the Broadcast.ini, but where is gamedata?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#11 Old 29th Oct 2016 at 1:23 PM
[install location]\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 FreeTime\TSData\Res\Movies\Broadcast\nameofcustomtvchannel
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 26th Nov 2016 at 2:38 PM
Thanks for your help so far, I'm so sorry I have not replied sooner. I'm going to try it now, and I'm so grateful for your help.