Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#26 Old 31st Oct 2016 at 9:30 AM Last edited by gazania : 31st Oct 2016 at 3:07 PM.
I solved the problem ... and it was one of the simplest solutions. But in all fairness to me, I was following a procedure that Simmers have done for years.

For anyone else who might encounter this: a common piece of advice when changing resolutions is to change all the SETI numbers to 3. I've seen this on a few sites now. I just checked to see if I was oblivious. Nope. That piece of advice is there. Repeatedly. I just Googled, and most of the top ten results had this fix.

As I was re-inserting celebkiriedhel's amended NVIDIA graphics file for the ... I dunno how what number I was up to ... maybe 12th? time (no exaggeration, and I must have fixed the file at least a couple of extra times each after I inserted it), I took another look at the file. Celebkiriedhel never changed those SETI numbers. She kept them at 1, 2 and 3.

I also noticed that it was celebkiriedhel who changed that setting from true to false.

At this early in the AM, and after trying every fix I could think of, it occurred to me ... why not just change the highest resolution to 1920x1080 and NOT touch the SETI section? Oh ... and change that true/false thing back as well. Could it be that celebkiriedhel might know a little more than a graphics.sgr noob like me about this? Maybe? Possibly? So I ignored the advice on those other sites and just changed the last two ScreenModeResolution unitProp MaxResHeight and Width numbers mentioned in most tutorials. That's it. Otherwise, my file is identical to her fix. For now, I just changed the resolution numbers in the last group mentioned in the tutorials ($High). I left the others (low and medium) untouched for now. They may be OK to change, but I'm not sure. My rule was with the exception of those two small corrections, I left celebkiriedhel's file alone.

Success! No blobby tree shadows! It might be my imagination, but I think the entire resolution looks better as well. And I know that the next time NVIDIA or any program pulls this stunt on me, I just reinsert celebkiriedhel's corrected file and fix those two numbers and voila! Back to 1920x1080 land!

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 31st Oct 2016 at 10:58 AM
Wait so you were able to get your game to a high resolution on a 900 series without it crashing? windows 10? Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I'd be amazed if you did. I thought I tried just about everything and never got past the loading screen!
Mad Poster
#28 Old 31st Oct 2016 at 11:12 AM
Can you show a screenshot of the fixed shadows? I'm curious, because my tree shadows have always looked like your picture, and I had no idea that they even could look different.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#29 Old 31st Oct 2016 at 1:35 PM
Oh well done gazania - and a useful reminder should others have a similar problem.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#30 Old 31st Oct 2016 at 2:18 PM Last edited by gazania : 31st Oct 2016 at 3:03 PM.
No ... I have Windows 7. I'm not much of a help. I have, however, heard of people having problems with the game crashing that way, dockamorpher. In some of my Googling, I've read accounts like yours. You might be able to find something at Leefish, if not here. Did you add your card to both video.sgr files (Config and CS Config)? Or ... http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=6569?

Simsfreq, in my case, I couldn't turn OFF those stupid shadows. They're still blobby at high settings on all resolutions, but at least I don't have to look at them. They probably don't bother most people, but they bugged the crap out of me!

Maxon, since I was the only one I know who had this problem ... maybe not. But there have been a few instances already where others had a similar problem after I did. And there's no telling if a future NVIDIA update won't mess up people's resolutions and shadow settings this way. This might at least point people in a general direction if this happens.

And again, I was referring to tutorials such as this one:

http://simsvip.com/2014/07/20/the-s...solution-guide/

Most tutorials recommend pretty much the same thing.

Top Secret Researcher
#31 Old 31st Oct 2016 at 5:06 PM
Those shadows actually look very nice with radiance system sunrises and sunsets...
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#32 Old 31st Oct 2016 at 10:17 PM
I'll have to try that someday. I don't have a radiance mod. I did try Gunmod's, but it wasn't for me at the time. Maybe I'll give it another try in the future.

I like that I can CHOOSE to have those shadows now, though, should I try this mod again.

Page 2 of 2