Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Aug 2015 at 4:18 AM Last edited by buzzingbeez : 11th Aug 2015 at 3:41 PM.
Default Creating more with the canning station? Advice?
I have recently gotten into modding/adding mods into my game, and I've had an idea that I need help determining the difficulty level of. If it is beginner-easy, doable, an insane amount of work, or more or less impossible.

On MTS I've been loving all of the food-related mods (new ingredients, recipes, options for cooking), but I've noticed there has been little to no experimentation with the store item Grandma's Canning Station. Besides jam/preserves, this item only has the ability to make a few other condiments, like ketchup or chocolate spread. Cinderellimouse introduced a handful of new condiments used as required ingredients in her Greek foods packages. I was wondering if it would be possible to make these condiments via the canning station, and still be able to use them in regular recipes? For instance, using olives to create jars of olive oil?

I just thought this would be a fun idea, but I really have no idea where to start. I'm 100% willing to learn how to make this happen, but before I try too hard I wanted to ask some more experienced modders for any advise/tips/warnings/wisdoms/input, and most of all if I should/could even accomplish this.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 23rd Aug 2015 at 8:53 PM
Hi! I've been meaning to poke around at the canning station some more. If you manage to work this out I'd be a very happy mouse!

I'm afraid my modding knowledge only extends to basic modding, I don't understand script modding enough to be able to help in that area. The issue I have with the canning station is that it appears all the interactions are hard-coded to the object using a script. I can't seem to find anything like the recipe or ingredient XMLs for it. As I understand it (with my fluffy pink brain cells) is that there is one 'jar' object and that it has different geostates and attached images depending on which ingredient you choose to preserve. I guess you'd have to edit the script (the S3SA file) if you wanted to add a new preserved item.

What I've managed to do so far is clone the jar and add a new image texture, then I used this as a new ingredient that could be bought from the grocery store. I think this might be the object I used for the Greek honey but it lost the jar lid somewhere! XD But you don't use the canning station to get it.

I guess it would be possible to use the existing canned ingredients in new recipes by referencing the model name (and maybe geostate?) but I'd have to poke around at that more to explain it properly.

If you're interested in looking into it more, you can find the .package file for the canning station in your DCBackup folder, the package name is '0x268a751876234656bab1812498313f8d'.

The 'StoreObjectsJamMakingStation.dll' (the S3SA file) is '0xC889D31190832907'

The package for the 'canningJar' is '0x237c8e6ced8544588340a03df2bf566e'

Hopefully something there will be helpful. ^__^
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 12:17 AM
Thanks! I was beginning to think this was an absolutely hopeless venture. I will definitely try to look into this and learn what's going on. I'll let you know if I stumble upon any magical genius
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 24th Aug 2015 at 7:11 PM
^__^
Good luck!