Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Dec 2010 at 2:03 AM
Need help making ripped jeans and similar items
I'm trying to make jeans like these:

I did manage to remove the left leg, well, to be specific, match the skin color in a non-recolor-able way. Meaning, I edited the Multiplier, Specular, so that they are transparent/black where there is a hole, or missing leg. This looks fine and all, it's just that the invisible leg now overlaps the shoe.

[Look at attached image: Error 1.png]

Because of this, I've edited the Transparency Map so it's the same size as the other textures, and blackened the area where the missing leg is supposed to be. (Rest is white.) Then I also edited Part Mask so it's transparent where the missing leg is.

Note: There is only a missing leg as of the time this post was posted.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 29th Dec 2010 at 2:17 AM
In the base texture (multiplier), edit the alpha channel and make the bit you want to remove all black - it'll be invisible. The idea of recolouring it to match the skin is rather pointless in a game with endless possible skin colours.

To fix the overlap, you'll either have to edit the mesh, which would be tricky, or (as I'd recommend) re-clone from a panties mesh such as afBottomBurnt and then copy all the textures across. Much easier, no overlap.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 29th Dec 2010 at 2:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by whiterider
In the base texture (multiplier), edit the alpha channel and make the bit you want to remove all black - it'll be invisible. The idea of recolouring it to match the skin is rather pointless in a game with endless possible skin colours.

To fix the overlap, you'll either have to edit the mesh, which would be tricky, or (as I'd recommend) re-clone from a panties mesh such as afBottomBurnt and then copy all the textures across. Much easier, no overlap.

When I meant that it matches the skin color, I meant that it would 'probably' match any color under the pant leg.

And ah, that's a very good work around~ I should've thought of that myself. Dx Lol, now I just gotta find something that won't, mess up? the finished product. Like, in some cases, the original item still shows up faintly when the light hits it. Like the belt of some pants, or the strings on the sides of a bikini.

Thank you very much for your help, you have extended my addiction to modding the Sims~ xD
Instructor
#4 Old 29th Dec 2010 at 11:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by KusariNinja
now I just gotta find something that won't, mess up? the finished product. Like, in some cases, the original item still shows up faintly when the light hits it. Like the belt of some pants, or the strings on the sides of a bikini.

It's quite easy to get rid of that pesky shining through problem. The main culprits are the specular and bump map and overlay, so check those over.

chose your starting item - briefs_burnt like Whiterider suggested possibly. Then extract the specular and paint it black, save and replace it in ctu.

Then where it says overlay, right click the key code and press edit, then paste in this code instead, "key:00B2D882:00000000:75F8F21E0F143CAC"

The bump map is a little more tricky, and you may not even have to do it for some items. But you first need to extract meshes under the find a CAS Part tab, then reimport these under the meshes tab. Ignore lod0, and just import lod1, lod2, lod3 Rename your mesh to something new where it says Mesh Name. Then export (at the top of CTU) the NormalMap and edit this to be completely grey, as the background of this image is. Then scroll down (still under the meshes tab) and import this new image as the bump map.

Those are instructions to completely remove this under shining crap, but you can of course edit these images to coordinate with your item. Just experiment and what not and you'll find they control different things The specular controls shininess, and you can use the overlay to have things that you don't want to recolour like belts and buckles and buttons.

P.S. I'm a little rusty with this creating stuff, so there may be easier ways to do this, but idk
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 30th Dec 2010 at 5:18 AM
Thanks for the tips, but I'm using TSR Workshop instead of CTU or any other programs besides Pixia for editing .pngs. I've changed all of the textures that are listed in TSR Workshop(Specular, Mask, Part Mask, Overlay, Transparent Map, Multiplier.) to match the way the pants should be. But for now, since I've started a few days ago, I'll stick to Whiterider's idea. xD I appreciate the advice, but I'm afraid it won't be put to use, or at least by me, that is. >.<
Sockpuppet
#6 Old 30th Dec 2010 at 11:37 AM
You picked the wrong mesh to start with.
The skin will always overlap the shoes as the pants is shaped that way, you need to choose a skintight pants instead
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 31st Dec 2010 at 5:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
You picked the wrong mesh to start with.
The skin will always overlap the shoes as the pants is shaped that way, you need to choose a skintight pants instead

I chose the Skinny Jeans, are there any other pants that are skin tight?
Sockpuppet
#8 Old 31st Dec 2010 at 6:37 AM Last edited by BloomsBase : 31st Dec 2010 at 6:49 AM.
If you dont want that overlap choose a undie or swim bottom
But unfortunate all the pants textures will no longer fit.
If you like ill make a skintight mesh that you can use?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 31st Dec 2010 at 7:01 AM
Oh, no, thanks~ Lol, I'm an independent person and I like figuring things out~ ^.^ Not to mention that I like saying that I did all of this! Muahahaha~

But, thank you for the offer.
Sockpuppet
#10 Old 31st Dec 2010 at 8:54 AM
i was talking about the mesh, not the texturing.
anyway, if you want, ill have it
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#11 Old 31st Dec 2010 at 3:21 PM
You can very easily clone a panties or bikini bottom, and then just copy the trousers textures over.

Sockpuppet
#12 Old 31st Dec 2010 at 8:23 PM
You can very easily clone a panties or bikini bottom, and then just copy the trousers textures over.

Thats wat i thought also, but none of the pants textures will fit......
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#13 Old 1st Jan 2011 at 1:11 AM
That's odd, must be some weird mapping. I can't imagine it'd be too hard to fix though, everything's presumably in proportion at least.

Sockpuppet
#14 Old 1st Jan 2011 at 1:35 AM
all pants are uvmapped in 4 parts(waist, pelvis and hips, not the legs) instead of a front and back like with sims 2....
I once converted the fullbody rockpants to fit a bottom basegame mesh but gave up on the textureing, instead i updated the uvmap.
Because each pants on its own is mapped diffrent, no idea why EA did this.

And thats not all.....the trousers are also mapped on a diffrent spot then the naked legs.
So texturing pants into shorts aint possible either because the skintone will not fit.

Thats why i offered to make a new mesh.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 1st Jan 2011 at 11:46 PM
It shouldn't be too complicated, would it? I mean you have to download all the tools, figure em out, and then delete a leg of it, right? Or is it harder than it looks? (Which I'm assuming it is. Lol.)
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#16 Old 2nd Jan 2011 at 1:06 AM
It sounds like you'd have to chop up and rearrange the trousers texture, then chop a leg off that. As it is, if you just chop it without rearranging the texture to fit a nude mesh, the skintone will be in the wrong place - your sim won't have knees. If you chop a leg off the actual mesh you'll just end up with a sim with no leg. :P

Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 2nd Jan 2011 at 2:08 AM
It sounds like you'd have to chop up and rearrange the trousers texture, then chop a leg off that. As it is, if you just chop it without rearranging the texture to fit a nude mesh, the skintone will be in the wrong place - your sim won't have knees. If you chop a leg off the actual mesh you'll just end up with a sim with no leg. :P

Yup, I knew it, hard than it looks. >.>

Hmmm, should I take a look at the Frankenstein tutorial for how to do this? I haven't had a chance to look at so deeply, yet.
Inventor
#18 Old 2nd Jan 2011 at 9:54 AM
You will get in trouble with the morphs if you chop off a leg on the mesh. You would have to make each morph with a chopped off leg too.

I did not tryed this myself, but what about adjusting/change the shape of the pants leg into the naked leg shape with vertex etc merge, and move the leg on the UVmap to fit the naked texture?
Import the morphs and they will adjust in shape and position on the UV, maybe even not needed to import and export the morphs.

I think you can that if you take a UVmap of the naked leg as texture. Or maybe even better, after rougly moving the leg on the UV, use UV data merge from CatOfEvilGenius?

What do you think?
Sockpuppet
#19 Old 2nd Jan 2011 at 11:49 AM Last edited by BloomsBase : 2nd Jan 2011 at 4:24 PM.
i made this mesh/outfit last week and did the following:

-cloned the afBottomPantsSkinnyLegLowRise_long and extracted the meshes
-cloned the afbottomnaked and extracted its meshes
-clone a fullbodyoutfit with TSRW( i used the afbodydresscocktail)wich has 2 meshgroups for lod1 and set it to bottom(this is my WRK file)
-i relinked all the textures(normalmap/multiplier/specular and mask) to the afBottomPantsSkinnyLegLowRise_long(i alway use CTU in the background to find the texturelinks)

-Imported bottompants and bottomnaked both with all the morphs in Milkshape(10meshes total)
-cut off the trousers on the bottompants mesh(and morphs) as high as possible
-cut off the waist/pelvis etc of the naked mesh
-Snapped the vertices on the seams on the basemeshes, then each each morph(Wes H merge tools)
-Deleted the legsmesh and morphs and exported the other
-Used the Undo key to bring back all, this time i deleted the waist meshes and morphs and exported the legs.

Then i deleted all the morphs and saved the legs as Ms3d file, opened it with lithunwrap and extracted its uvmap
-started new in Milkshape and imported the waist(pants)mesh and updated its uvmap with the use of the legs uvmap applied as material.
-Loaded both meshes into TSRW

-The lod2 i have done like cocomama sugested, modded the trousers a bit so they look like legs.
Didn't update the uvmap yet.
-kept the lod3 as it was, you wont see a diffrence in far zoom

Still is a bit of work but doable for a beginner.
Screenshots
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#20 Old 2nd Jan 2011 at 1:21 PM
Do long socks overlay correctly?