Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jan 2011 at 8:38 AM
Default Are Maya/3DSmax obj. exporter different from blender obj. exporter?
Ok, I've been having odd transparency issues on my hair mesh for a while, and I tried everything I could think of, and was unable to solve it. Now I'm reduced to thinking that the problem is in the mesh itself, or the obj. exporter of blender3d(which I have used to mesh my hair). The reason for this is because NewSea uses Maya for meshing her/his hairs, and ulker uses 3ds max to mesh his/her hairs, and non of them had any problems. I asked NewSea how he/she mesh the hair, and it was not that different from how I mesh my hairs. So does anybody know if Maya/3dsmax's obj. exporter are really different form blender's? Or how to solve the odd transparency issue on hair?
Screenshots

Check out my blog ! You'll find items that I was too lazy to upload on the MTS XD.

Warning! This is not an English blog! However, the 'Sims3Downloads' section is written in English :D.
Advertisement
Sockpuppet
#2 Old 5th Jan 2011 at 9:43 AM Last edited by BloomsBase : 5th Jan 2011 at 10:04 AM.
Are these sims 2 conversions?
If so, did you delete all the inside layers before you exported it as obj file?

Some proggy's flip the uvmap on export, also check that.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Jan 2011 at 12:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
Are these sims 2 conversions?
If so, did you delete all the inside layers before you exported it as obj file?

Some proggy's flip the uvmap on export, also check that.

well, unfortunately, it is not a conversion.....it was purely made from a scratch in blender.

Check out my blog ! You'll find items that I was too lazy to upload on the MTS XD.

Warning! This is not an English blog! However, the 'Sims3Downloads' section is written in English :D.
Sockpuppet
#4 Old 5th Jan 2011 at 2:18 PM
Ok, just dont include inside layers, sims 3 doesn't need them(they can cause the bleeding through)

and you prolly already know you use tha boobs for hair, not CTU.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 6th Jan 2011 at 12:31 PM
Ok, just dont include inside layers, sims 3 doesn't need them(they can cause the bleeding through)

and you prolly already know you use tha boobs for hair, not CTU.

Well, but wouldn't that look odd? After all, my hair is fairly curly and some of the meshparts has its backside showing....and those parts would not show in the game....oh, and by the way, do you know what the box in the bottom left corner of blender means?
Screenshots

Sockpuppet
#6 Old 6th Jan 2011 at 2:25 PM
In sims 2 there was already a material option to texture meshlayers on both sides, mostly used on glass.
The MTNF(material) settings for hair in the sims 3 does the same so you dont need inside/back layers.
The double layer is causing the weird bleeding through i am sure.
Hopefully you have a backup from the hair with just one layer, test and you will see.

I tried Blender 3 times but cant get used to it so have no idea.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 7th Jan 2011 at 12:47 PM
In sims 2 there was already a material option to texture meshlayers on both sides, mostly used on glass.
The MTNF(material) settings for hair in the sims 3 does the same so you dont need inside/back layers.
The double layer is causing the weird bleeding through i am sure.
Hopefully you have a backup from the hair with just one layer, test and you will see.

I tried Blender 3 times but cant get used to it so have no idea.

Um.....I tested it, and....look....
Screenshots

Sockpuppet
#8 Old 7th Jan 2011 at 1:51 PM
Wat program are you using to clone the hair?
According to HP's tutorial you do not need the backlayers.
Upload the file if you not get it working?
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#9 Old 7th Jan 2011 at 2:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sims_reality
...do you know what the box in the bottom left corner of blender means?

That is the Mesh Datablock. It shows the mesh selected for the current Object(which is the box to the right of that). So, whatever mesh you have selected in that box will be the mesh that is displayed by the current object.

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 8th Jan 2011 at 11:59 AM
Wat program are you using to clone the hair?
According to HP's tutorial you do not need the backlayers.
Upload the file if you not get it working?

I posted the files on another thread, so more people could have a look at it

http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...d=1#post3416529

Theorist
#11 Old 8th Jan 2011 at 4:24 PM
Bloom yes you do need to delete the back layers but then you have to create the underside (difference? not really sure but there is), you should definitely check HP's tutorial, underside is about 1/3 of the way down. It's easily fixed http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...s_3_Hair_Basics

To fix the transparency issues you'll need this tutorial: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?p=3268345

Good luck! If it means anything I think that the mesh looks really pretty

Hi I'm Paul!
Sockpuppet
#12 Old 8th Jan 2011 at 10:10 PM
See, if you dont do hair you give people wrong advice, i am sorry.