Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#26 Old 1st Oct 2016 at 6:30 PM
Once the Teacher has achieved lvl 7 of the skill that she is "training" the student in (in my case, a model), does the student get assigned a new trait for the role, or not? Also, I'm assuming the student can start their new role right away - they don't actually have to be talked at by the teacher to some arbitrary lvl of their new work...

ETA: And does the teacher need a minimum level of logic to be able to "confer" trained status on the student?
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#27 Old 1st Oct 2016 at 7:47 PM
I didn't add a logic requirement, I thought it was complex enough, but you can add that for your game if you want.

The "student" can assume the new role ASAP and they start the skill needed for that role at Level 3 (to reflect the teacher imparting their knowledge).

You do not need to change traits.
Test Subject
#28 Old 1st Oct 2016 at 8:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MistyDW
I didn't add a logic requirement, I thought it was complex enough, but you can add that for your game if you want.

The "student" can assume the new role ASAP and they start the skill needed for that role at Level 3 (to reflect the teacher imparting their knowledge).

You do not need to change traits.

Good to know, thanks. I'm making it a bit easier on myself since I don't really know how to play Sims 4. Really just using this challenge to learn how to play 4.
Test Subject
#29 Old 2nd Oct 2016 at 2:59 AM
I just went and re-read those rules again, luckily I haven't swiped anything big yet, although I did take a single seat sofa when no one was around, is that still okay? No one was around when I swiped the guitar either, so I think I'm okay. Poor Johnny Zest doesn't have much in his house and there is no point in stealing lamps as there is no electricity Let me know about the single seat sofa, no loss if I can't keep it I'll just delete it. I've not had anyone cook a whole plate of food when I've visited there house yet. Can I steal a plate of food from the park when someone cooks it up on the grill? Technically speaking, put it in my inventory?

I am very glad for my chef after reading the problems in getting food without one!!
Test Subject
#30 Old 2nd Oct 2016 at 9:06 AM
I have a quick suggestion for a new role, providing someone who could hopefully be really useful:

The Accountant:
This character keeps meticulous records of your base's stocks and supplies, and through careful planning can make your food supply stretch much further.
- Static Trait: Bookworm
- SR(-1), BD(0): The accountant is book-smart and decidedly not street-smart, tending to only get in the way in combat situations.
- Ability: Spend 1 less ingredient on party-sized meals (the largest size)
- Skill: Writing. May only 'practice writing' on the computer
- Brings: a computer OR a skill book of your choice
- Goal:
- Reach lv.10 writing
--> The Accountant reaches peak efficiency, transcending to a nirvana-like state of endless numbers. All food now requires only half the ingredients to make (rounded up). This perk only lasts as long as this character is alive.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#31 Old 2nd Oct 2016 at 9:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by crstasse
I just went and re-read those rules again, luckily I haven't swiped anything big yet, although I did take a single seat sofa when no one was around, is that still okay? No one was around when I swiped the guitar either, so I think I'm okay. Poor Johnny Zest doesn't have much in his house and there is no point in stealing lamps as there is no electricity Let me know about the single seat sofa, no loss if I can't keep it I'll just delete it. I've not had anyone cook a whole plate of food when I've visited there house yet. Can I steal a plate of food from the park when someone cooks it up on the grill? Technically speaking, put it in my inventory?

I am very glad for my chef after reading the problems in getting food without one!!

As long as no one saw you with the sofa, you are probably OK. That clause is primarily there because everyone is on lockdown due to the alien invasion and is wary of everyone else so people are going to be watching for robbers. If it's something you can hide on your person, you're fine, if not, you have to be able to get it out unseen.

As far as food goes, as long as they leave the area without the food you can swipe it. If they are still in the park (in sight) of you, then no. I had my thief go out LATE at night. People had to wake up when I came in the house. Sometimes their first instinct is to cook and I had some crazy enough to prepare a full family meal and leave the room so I swiped that stuff like it was gold.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#32 Old 2nd Oct 2016 at 9:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DLPalindrome
I have a quick suggestion for a new role, providing someone who could hopefully be really useful:

The Accountant:
This character keeps meticulous records of your base's stocks and supplies, and through careful planning can make your food supply stretch much further.
- Static Trait: Bookworm
- SR(-1), BD(0): The accountant is book-smart and decidedly not street-smart, tending to only get in the way in combat situations.
- Ability: Spend 1 less ingredient on party-sized meals (the largest size)
- Skill: Writing. May only 'practice writing' on the computer
- Brings: a computer OR a skill book of your choice
- Goal:
- Reach lv.10 writing
--> The Accountant reaches peak efficiency, transcending to a nirvana-like state of endless numbers. All food now requires only half the ingredients to make (rounded up). This perk only lasts as long as this character is alive.

I love it! Excellent work! I am going to be updating the website today. Should I get rid of the pro athlete and use the accountant? Someone mentioned the athlete being too close to the marine. Maybe I can give the marine lookout capability if he is on the base so he has a purpose to serve at home. I can also add a musician since that seems to be something of interest. Honestly the hippie seems like he'd be a musician. Aren't most hippie's guitar players or am I stereotyping? I could add something like ex-rock star. Technically the ex-con role could be joined with the thief as well, I just didn't want to make the thief too valuable a role (they are already pretty valuable). Let me know what you all think. Today will probably be the last day I make role changes since I don't want to keep making big changes for those who are already playing the challenges.
Test Subject
#33 Old 2nd Oct 2016 at 11:06 AM Last edited by DLPalindrome : 2nd Oct 2016 at 11:27 AM.
Should I get rid of the pro athlete and use the accountant? Someone mentioned the athlete being too close to the marine. Maybe I can give the marine lookout capability if he is on the base so he has a purpose to serve at home.

That's a great idea. Merging them makes a lot of sense.

Quote:
I can also add a musician since that seems to be something of interest. Honestly the hippie seems like he'd be a musician. Aren't most hippie's guitar players or am I stereotyping? I could add something like ex-rock star. Technically the ex-con role could be joined with the thief as well, I just didn't want to make the thief too valuable a role (they are already pretty valuable).

I'm not a huge fan of the ex-con because they don't have a goal, and the role is quite conceptually similar to the thief. I'd be tempted to just get rid of it altogether if I were you - but I think you put it in because you wanted another defensive role to offset the new ones, right?

Perhaps you could make the music-playing role your defensive type instead. The greaser, or the metalhead? They have a good combat rating and a perk against thugs if that'd be a good idea - and their goal centres around learning the guitar. Hmm. Maybe their guitar goal lets them schmooze their way out of a bad event? ie. through the power of music, they can soothe a bad situation - so every once a [time interval] you can choose to negate a bad event outcome?

Quote:
Let me know what you all think. Today will probably be the last day I make role changes since I don't want to keep making big changes for those who are already playing the challenges.

That's a good idea too - although I do so love coming with ideas. You're right that it'll get a bit silly if we keep adding to it in a drip-drop fashion like this - definitely need time to let the dust settle and see if the new changes work or have any problems.

When I posted the Accountant thing there was just one other idea I'd been toying with - a really fun conceptual idea, although I haven't worked out the kinks yet. I was thinking Alien Ally, where the character is an alien rebel working against its own species in order to save humanity. They have a powerful bonus but also pretty heavy penalties should things go wrong - there'd be a chance that the character is a traitor, working with the aliens all along.

I was thinking that the Alien Ally would come with a space rock or a space pet that must be placed on the lot (this increases the chance of abduction by 1.25, but I'm not 100% sure how the mechanic works yet, and whoops I put on on my lot by default as a decorative item) and that if any sim got abducted then that meant your alien had betrayed you. When betrayed, the alien character would disappear and something really bad would happen - like your most valuable survivor (perhaps the one with the most skill points) would die, and the character that had been abducted would have all their positive traits scrambled and turned into negatives. If they got pregnant, the alien child would have to be kept and would turn into another alien ally as soon as it reached child/teen?

I don't know what positives the Ally would bring yet, though - maybe a watered-down version of the leader's recruiting capability, or a good defence boost vs. aliens? Also no clue on what skill to focus on: the ones that haven't already been accounted for don't fit the idea - I thought use the telescope at first, but it looks like using the telescope doesn't affect abduction rates in this game.

On another tangent completely, It'd be cool to have some more rewards for completing combinations of goals. For example, if you managed to kill off the grumpy old fart and maybe had a silly goal for the model like stirring drama by seducing all of the opposite gender in the group simultaneously, you could get a handy item or food reward. Nothing too gamechanging, just little goals to work towards to keep you going.

Anyway, sorry to inundate you with ideas! I love your challenge, as you can see.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#34 Old 2nd Oct 2016 at 8:26 PM Last edited by MistyDW : 3rd Oct 2016 at 1:11 AM.
Hey guys, I did ADD (lol just realized I had a type-o there) the credits part to the site and I changed the roles. I think it looks great.
Forum Resident
#35 Old 3rd Oct 2016 at 1:22 AM
Are you allowed to have a fridge if you don't have the hippie? Or do you have to have a Hippie first? Can they even cook without a fridge?

The moon so bright shows me the way
Deep in the graveyard beside her I lay
Knowing she'll keep me safe from all harms
Though six feet apart, I lay in her arms...
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#36 Old 3rd Oct 2016 at 3:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Roseblossom90
Are you allowed to have a fridge if you don't have the hippie? Or do you have to have a Hippie first? Can they even cook without a fridge?

Originally the idea behind the hippie is he has been preparing for a SHTF situation (meaning he has purified water and MREs stacked up in his garage right next to the bug out bag). He brings the knowledge of food preservation without electricity. You should be able to just click on the stove; however, if it isn't working for you, go ahead and set up the fridge just don't put the raw ingredients in it until you are ready to cook.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#37 Old 3rd Oct 2016 at 7:45 PM
Thanks again to everyone who has been so active on this challenge. With well over 700 views in less than a week, I'm glad there is a good bit of interest. I worked very hard on it. I wasn't sure how much activity/interest was on these forums anymore or if I would be writing more challenges but I'm grateful to see there is.
Test Subject
#38 Old 3rd Oct 2016 at 10:10 PM
I'm sorry, but what is BDR, and SR?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#39 Old 3rd Oct 2016 at 10:25 PM
Check on the website under general rules.
They are described at the very top.
Test Subject
#40 Old 4th Oct 2016 at 2:24 AM
I started a new game with the new roles added and I had no chef this time and I got stuck with the model again and the lazy bum. No thief either but I did get the hippie again. Lets just say without a chef this was really hard. On the second day I had a bad roll and lost my mad scientist, why couldn't it be the blonde or lazy bum??? I rolled badly the following day as well and we had to evacuate within the minute!! I don't know if my little group of survivors is going to last. But it's lots of fun
Test Subject
#41 Old 8th Oct 2016 at 3:34 PM
This challenge seems really, really cool. I'm just super lazy and there are so many rules. xD But great job! I enjoyed just reading about it!
Test Subject
#42 Old 8th Oct 2016 at 9:16 PM
I am completely doing this! I'll post more soon.
Test Subject
#43 Old 9th Oct 2016 at 3:33 PM
OH MY FLIPPING GOD. ALL OF MY SIMS JUST CAUGHT ON FIRE DUE TO HEAT. WTF. (Don't worry, none of them died)
Test Subject
#44 Old 9th Oct 2016 at 5:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by crstasse
I started a new game with the new roles added and I had no chef this time and I got stuck with the model again and the lazy bum. No thief either but I did get the hippie again. Lets just say without a chef this was really hard. On the second day I had a bad roll and lost my mad scientist, why couldn't it be the blonde or lazy bum??? I rolled badly the following day as well and we had to evacuate within the minute!! I don't know if my little group of survivors is going to last. But it's lots of fun

You got the alien event already? Damn.
Test Subject
#45 Old 9th Oct 2016 at 7:04 PM
Shouldn't there be a role for the alien children you get pregnant with in one of the random events?
Instructor
#46 Old 11th Oct 2016 at 12:15 AM
Seems a pretty cool in-depth challenge I love that. I've just made my 6 people, got a bloody model lets hope she dies before someone useful. You can see from my picture the 6 I rolled and their traits.
Test Subject
#47 Old 12th Oct 2016 at 9:45 PM
I have a BDR of around 11! Yes!
Test Subject
#48 Old 16th Oct 2016 at 4:14 AM
hohoho. i have a motley crew, and by motley i mean really really bad.
i rolled model, lazy bum, AND young child all in one. i might reroll the team and see if i get anything better. i actually kind of like how little chance my group has to survive, but i have a feeling it will start getting on my wick really quickly.
Test Subject
#49 Old 16th Oct 2016 at 1:16 PM Last edited by lisail : 16th Oct 2016 at 1:27 PM.
I'm so happy you've made a challenge for Sims 4! I always really wanted to try your challenges, but Sims 3 ran terribly on my computer. I really hope you make more challenges for ts4!

I rolled model, mad scientist, professional athlete, computer guru, ex-marine, and biologist. I might be blind, but I can't see professional athlete on the roles table?
Test Subject
#50 Old 19th Oct 2016 at 1:24 AM
Hello all!
I've created a new post-apocalyptic challenge for the Sims 4. I don't usually write TS4 challenges but I do love the post-apoc setting so I thought I'd give it a shot. A lot of research and testing went into this; however, if you have any concerns, please let me know.

I even developed a website for the challenge that can be found HERE.

As always, this is your gaming experience so feel free to change the rules to suit your play style. If you decide to play, please share screenshots/descriptions of what setup you started with, etc.

Enjoy!

I love survival horror so I'll give it a try!

I have:
Oasis Landing

1-18 6x
6, 10, 15, 12, 14, 4

so Young child, Computer Guru, Lazy Bum, Grumpy Old Fart (senior citizen), Jock/Cheerleader, and Biologist it is.

TRAITS
kid: male, 1 skill building toy
Computer Guru- male, Geek, Hates Children, Outgoing Cheapest desktop computer
Lazy Bum- female, Lazy, Hot Headed, Bookworm, comfy folding chair
Grumpy Old Fart (senior citizen)-female, Mean, Clumsy, Creative , bad attitude
Jock/Cheerleader-female, Active, Slob, Good An athletic item (not electric)
Biologist-female, Neat, Loner, Active, Large microscope (the one that analyzes plant samples)

Computer Guru and Cheerleader are a couple.
Page 2 of 5