Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Sep 2015 at 9:11 PM
Default Finding An Outfit's GMDC?
I can't seem to figure this out... I am converting a mesh from Sims 3 to Sims 2 and this tutorial said I must extract an outfit's GMDC using SimPE in order to make a "reference mesh" (whatever that is) and I'm beyond confused. Keep in mind this is my first time making/converting a mesh so I know I'm a bit clueless. Help?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 4th Sep 2015 at 11:59 PM
Converting a mesh from TS3 to TS2 is not a beginner's project. I've been meshing for years and I still haven't attempted it. If you're confused about what some things mean now... it's probably only going to get worse!

I would recommend working through the beginner tutorials here on this site (they're in the Create section) so you understand how meshes are put together. I'm also going to tell you where to look for the GMDC, but keep in mind that that's not going to help you much since you need to actually build a mesh (a process that's covered in the beginner tutorials). Check the game files to find the GMDC you're after. In the tutorial you've linked there, you can see the location of the files in one of the pictures: EA GAMES (or Origin Games if you're running the Ultimate Collection or one of the Store versions)\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\3D (or Sims3D if it's a base game mesh)\Sims03. GMDCs are all in Sims03.

Please have a look at the three meshing tutorials, though. They're invaluable if you want to learn meshing (and once you do that, it's so much easier to learn all the other things, like converting between ages, genders, games, etc.).
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Sep 2015 at 12:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by fakepeeps7
Converting a mesh from TS3 to TS2 is not a beginner's project. I've been meshing for years and I still haven't attempted it. If you're confused about what some things mean now... it's probably only going to get worse!

I would recommend working through the beginner tutorials here on this site (they're in the Create section) so you understand how meshes are put together. I'm also going to tell you where to look for the GMDC, but keep in mind that that's not going to help you much since you need to actually build a mesh (a process that's covered in the beginner tutorials). Check the game files to find the GMDC you're after. In the tutorial you've linked there, you can see the location of the files in one of the pictures: EA GAMES (or Origin Games if you're running the Ultimate Collection or one of the Store versions)\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\3D (or Sims3D if it's a base game mesh)\Sims03. GMDCs are all in Sims03.

Please have a look at the three meshing tutorials, though. They're invaluable if you want to learn meshing (and once you do that, it's so much easier to learn all the other things, like converting between ages, genders, games, etc.).

I'll read up on those tutorials once I'm on my PC - thanks, @fakepeeps7 . Love your creations by the way (I have all your outfits for kids and toddlers; keep up the good work).

As for the actual conversion, I have actually figured out where to find the GMDCs... it's just the part that comes after that lost me! I guess I should have made my research first, but better late than never

Once I get the hang of it, expect all my favorite Sims 3 outfits (A LOT!) converted for Sims 2, as well as uploaded on here... not kidding. I'm determined to do so, I'm always craving more Maxis Match stuff - and I bet other people do too.