Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#601 Old 18th Jan 2012 at 5:07 PM
Fairyland by Paul J McAuley. It's not actually about fairies - the story takes place in a dystopian, not-too-distant future and deals with the consequences of genetic engineering along with a host of other consequences. It was written in 1995, so it's interesting to see what he got right so far.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#602 Old 18th Jan 2012 at 8:18 PM
Lewis Carroll--Alice in Wonderland. I just love this book, its amazing! :D

"Queen of the Damned seeks knight in shining piercings for pleasure, pain and purring"--Scary Mary from the Urbz: Sims In The City

"A Famous Explorer once said: 'The extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are.'"--Lara Croft from Tomb Raider 2013
Test Subject
#603 Old 22nd Jan 2012 at 8:48 PM
"A Long Way Down" by Nick Hornby, started reading Saturday night, finished Sunday night. Really amazing book, with very insightful comments on human behaviour.

@Nevermore Raven Alice in Wonderland, that sounds like a good read, that might be on my next months list. This month is going to be, Millennium series, I am Legend and Revolutionary Road which I just ordered.
Instructor
#604 Old 22nd Jan 2012 at 11:30 PM
I'm reading Basilisk by Rob Thurman and Chronoliths. Basilisk is much the same as the TV show supernatural, featuring a genetically modified boy and his over-protective brother. Its ok, but she did the same characters in her other series, and I liked it better.

I'm also listening to Chronoliths which is hard sci-fi, and so far is intriguing although the protag is a bit of a sad sack. Basically it is set in the near future, where these giant obelisks appear on earth and they commemorate the victory of aliens over humankind- however the dates on the obelisks are in the future for a war that hasn't happened yet. I really like the premise so I'm interested to see in where the author goes with it.
Test Subject
#605 Old 27th Jan 2012 at 3:08 PM
Just finished Frank Herbert's "Dune". Amazing book.

Now I'm reading "Why We Make Mistakes" by Joseph Hallinan and might finish "Full Dark, No Stars" by Stephen King next.
Lab Assistant
#606 Old 27th Jan 2012 at 7:02 PM
I'm reading several books at the moment. The one I'm actively reading is Bossypants by Tina Fey. It's fricking hilarious. I was waiting in the car and reading it, laughing hysterically. I'm sure I freaked out the people in the parking space next to me.

Say no to bug babies.
Lab Assistant
#607 Old 2nd Feb 2012 at 7:28 PM
The Trial by Franz Kahfka
So weird....

Been downloading like crazy...so many great creators here! Neglecting forums...will be back soon...ish.
Mad Poster
#608 Old 16th Feb 2012 at 5:46 AM
Just finished Manservant and Maidservant by Ivy Compton-Burnett.
Just started Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo.
Scholar
#609 Old 16th Feb 2012 at 7:50 AM
Frozen.

Hey there! :)
Lab Assistant
#610 Old 18th Feb 2012 at 6:02 PM
Motherless Brooklyn
I like it.

Been downloading like crazy...so many great creators here! Neglecting forums...will be back soon...ish.
Forum Resident
#611 Old 21st Feb 2012 at 5:18 AM
The Hunger Games- Mockingjay. I bought the first book and ended up being hooked, to me in my opinion it's a good trilogy and I can hardly put it down, in the beginning of the first book it's a bit boring but then it gets interesting. I am on the last one though.

After that I am reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azaskban (SP?), I got into the Harry Potter series about a week ago too at the same time with Hunger Games and I just wanted to keep reading them.

Someone should tell me if the Hunger Games movie (I believe based from the first book since it's the first time it's in cinemas here) is that much difference from the book, I know how book to movie can not always be good (And now reading the books first, I might have ruined the movies for myself lol, although doubt it I can be tolerated of some things)
Scholar
#612 Old 21st Feb 2012 at 2:49 PM
Alone by Admiral Richard E. Byrd. I like the deliberate writing style. It's very no-frills, while still conveying a good sense of what the events were like.
Lab Assistant
#613 Old 24th Feb 2012 at 2:37 PM
Wuthering Heights! I've gotten into english classic literature after a lot of Harry Potter and Hunger Games lol. Next I want to read some Jane Austen

Life Stage: Young Adult

Traits: Artistic, Bookworm, Dog Person, Over-Emotional, Good

LTW: Master of the Arts
Mad Poster
#614 Old 25th Feb 2012 at 2:38 AM Last edited by RoseCity : 4th Mar 2012 at 4:12 AM.
Pearl Buck in China by Hilary Spurling.

Edit: Now reading You Are Not a Gadget by Jaron Lanier.

Edit2: Galactic Pot-Healer by Philip K. Dick.
Field Researcher
#615 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 8:37 PM
Lately I've been reading tons of fantasy and supernatural. I'm reading the second book in the Vampire Academy series now. Its fricking hilarious! After this book I'll go back to the Gone series by Michael Grant. I've got it all planned out xD
Inventor
#616 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 8:46 PM
On my desk, to read while my screens are loading: The Diary of John Evelyn. Pretty dry, but it stops me fidgetting with impatience. Now and then I create seventeenth-century sims with names out of the diary, to witness the Black Death (Death by Flies is pretty black) and the Great Fire of kitchen.

In the bathroom: The Twelve Caesars, by Suetonius. Another dry read, but good enough for the loo. I've also created a few Roman sims, out of Suetonius. Not original, I know, but still fun.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#617 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 9:14 PM
Icarus, by Roger Levy. Picked it up for 0.75€ at the Boekenfeestijn sometime last year, and just sort of let it sit on the shelf because, although it had seemed like a good buy at the time, every time I went to read it I thought "Too Artemis Fowl" (not that I don't love Artemis Fowl, just didn't fancy it). Finally got round to reading it, and holy shit, was I ever wrong - this is a book that really leads you on. I pray to god it's a standalone, because if I don't understand all the connections by the end of it, I'll go batty. Really, really enjoying it - it's a dystopian future sci-fi sorta thing, reads like a mystery novel, and very animated and enjoyable despite the constant undertones of grimmdark.

And, hey! I've decided that I plan to read The Hunger Games too - though not just now, that 200€ hole in my pocket... *shudder*. And I finally gave into the craving that's been bugging me for months, and re-read Azkaban last night. Well, it always was my favourite Harry Potter book.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Scholar
#618 Old 11th Mar 2012 at 3:24 AM
My Clinical Applications text book for my anatomy and physiology class. I have no time to read any fun books.
Instructor
#619 Old 12th Mar 2012 at 10:30 AM
I just started reading the Hunger Game
Mad Poster
#620 Old 12th Mar 2012 at 8:18 PM
Believing Is Seeing (Observations on the Mysteries of Photography) by Errol Morris.
Lab Assistant
#621 Old 13th Mar 2012 at 11:09 PM
Exuse my ignorance , but do E-book count as reading a book ?
Well the last book (just finished ) is from Whoopi Goldberg - Is it Just me ?
It was fun and easy to read Love it!
Lab Assistant
#622 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 12:04 AM
I'm in the middle of reading Absolution Gap by Alastair Reynolds at the moment

May the force be with you because you're worth it
Mad Poster
#623 Old 23rd Mar 2012 at 4:41 AM
^ He has a new book coming out soon - Blue Remembered Earth - I'm looking forward to it.

Beautiful Souls: Saying No, Breaking Ranks and Heeding the Voice of Conscience in Dark Times by Eyal Press

It's interesting - he tries to figure out why some people are able to go against the tide and perform heroic actions.
Inventor
#624 Old 2nd Apr 2012 at 8:42 AM
The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy. Such a good read so far.
I recently finished Snakehead by Peter May, which is part of a series of Chinese thrillers, I've read them all in completely random sequence but they're pretty amazing. I love his style.

I got halfway through Breathless by Dean Koontz, the first Koontz novel I've tried to read, and I can't say I was too impressed by portions of his writing. Most of it had me cringing. -.-
I also recently read The Strain, which is the first in a trilogy about vampires, written by the guy who wrote Prince of Thieves (AKA The Town) and the dude who directed Pans Labyrinth. You would think it would be an awesome book, but no... I tried to read the second book in the trilogy, but it was just too cliche with a tremendous lack of inspiration.

I've also recently read The Pearl Diver, which was absolutely beautiful. I recommend it to everyone. :D
OH and anything by Robin Cook. I recently (Yeah, I read a lot) read Coma, which was simply some of the best writing on the face of the planet. I just don't recommend reading the end notes, lol, which I did and it spoiled the climax. >: But it was still wonderful.
Field Researcher
#625 Old 2nd Apr 2012 at 4:14 PM
Just finished The Hunger Games triology. They are amazing though I'm trying to read another book but I keep thinking of charaters that are simialr to those in the Hunger Games I have to keep telling myself not all little sisters are Prim.

My Simblr: Here
Page 25 of 41