Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 8:33 AM
Default What lot size is preferred?
What lot size is most preferred for a lot upload? Been thinking about building something.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 9:02 AM
Depends on the building.

If it's a mansion or a large park, go for the bigger lot sizes.
If it's a typical family home, probably around 30x30 or 40x40.
Starter homes can probably be about 20 x 20.

Hard to say though. Every player here has their own preferences, I'm not sure if I'd describe any as being the most preferred.

I'm writing a TV series, yeah. It's a cross between True Detective and Pretty Little Liars.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 9:02 AM
People seem to really love small lots, based off the downloads I've both seen and experienced. Plus, I always feel more creative with restrictions!

"Given enough time, hydrogen starts to wonder where it came from, and where it is going." - Edward R. Harrison
Mad Poster
#4 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 11:36 AM
I love smaller lots with smaller homes for starting out and larger lots like 64x64 for some families.I've got a kid living alone on a 60x60 lot because it was all I could find outside of town for her.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 2:00 PM
yes i prefer small lots too.
sims time runs fast so i tend to always built small houses where the toaster is next to the bathtub and the toilet is one step beyond the bed.

but that solution isnt for playing with big families and overpopulated houeholds obviously. so generally it simply depends on how you play and what intention you have when building certain houses (lots): big lots will always seduce you to think big. small lots are challenging for your creativity how to use the space available best.

for uploading i agree to Element that simmers like small homes a lot (e.p. starter homes) - but big homes are also popular.
more important than the size only is the CC used. high amounts of CC make a lot of people NOT download houses / worlds... so no cc (or really few cc) used homes seem to be another important aspect to keep in mind.

<< ... too old-fashioned to die young-fashioned >>
Scholar
#6 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 2:11 PM
I love small lots ( 20x20, 20x30)
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 8:49 PM
I find 30x30 a good size for city lots. One of my favorite city designs was actually a group of two or three row houses on a 30x30 lot. The actual building takes up maybe half of that space, but I like to add things to the extra space so it feels more like a city (eg, a wider sidewalk or parking space or trees in the front, a small garden in the back).

For a suburban family home, I've found anything less than 40x40 a bit cramped. 40x40 lots will accommodate the parking/garage and yards on all sides.

Back to Sims after a 2-year hiatus!

Blogs, to be resurrected once I get a new graphics card load TS3 on my new computer:
STEALIE NICKS Klepto King Challenge (updated 9/16/14)
THE HOUSE OF MOODICI (the Altos' Renaissance in Riverview)

my EA forums page
Scholar
#8 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 8:57 PM
Try and challenge yourself! Pick a really small lot -10x10- and see what you can do! It'll be cool and interesting
Field Researcher
#9 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 8:59 PM
I really like the small lots. I think it's not necessary have huge lots to build nice houses.
Scholar
#10 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 9:17 PM Last edited by kattenijin : 9th Sep 2014 at 10:53 PM.
I've noticed that the 20x30, 30x30, and 40x40 lots seem to be the ones most people prefer. What I'm more interested in are the...ratios... I guess. IE: How large is the house vs. how many bedrooms (I've downloaded what was a one-bedroom lot that after renovation had 4, 4x4 or larger and I only added on a 2x2 section to what existed and that was to make the kitchen more functional) , does the furniture fill a room properly, are things large simply for the sake of being large? Also, what is the lay out, does room placement make sense, why is the bath three times as large as the kitchen, and how much wasted space (usually hallways to nowhere; you know, those halls that extend to the exterior wall, yet have no window and/or could be eliminated to give space to the rooms that come off it.)

EDIT: I have to add that it drives me crazy when people build a home to look "pretty" from the exterior, such as having windows evenly spaced, yet when you look at the interior layout, the window placement makes no sense at all.

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
Forum Resident
#11 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 9:34 PM
i saw a creator labelled its house as "player approved". dont know - i liked that. building houses (big + complex or small + complex whatever) isnt the greatest challeng but yes making them enjoyable to actually play in is the major task i think. since i enjoy having visitors and to party i prefer having "space". too cluttery places and bootle neck architecture isnt mine. cause it doesnt suit my playstyle. but no creator can create houses for everyones playstyles of course. so one advice could be - diversity rocks. if you want to be a creator with many downloads search your downloadical niche - but more important is find your own style. no need to create what others create. do something thats striking. and use the creators feedback forum. you can count on the opinions and experience of master builders ;-)

<< ... too old-fashioned to die young-fashioned >>
Forum Resident
#12 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 10:05 PM
I like smaller lots, as well. I prefer houses to be as small as they practically can with no wasted space and I'm bad at landscaping, so I like a small house on a small lot so I don't have to worry about filling the yard with stuff.

"If I be waspish, best beware my sting."
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 10th Sep 2014 at 3:42 AM
I prefer smaller houses but on mediumish lots so there's room to expand if necessary. I guess a happy medium would be to build the house you want on as small a lot as possible, pleasing those who like smaller lots but allowing others to plop the house onto a bigger lot size of their choosing.
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 10th Sep 2014 at 3:46 AM
20x30, or 30x20. Then it is large enough for a good sized home with some extras, but not so ginormous that a lot of space is wasted with rooms so large you need a golf cart to go from one side to the other. Also, that size will easily adapt to a larger lot size and then I can add on, have a garden, or whatever. Try as you might, you just can't fit a 50x50 into a 30x30.

TS2 and TS3: Where adult sims potty train their toddlers.
TS4: Where adult sims make Angry Poops.

Which game is made for the juvenile minded?
Field Researcher
#15 Old 10th Sep 2014 at 4:08 AM
Speaking purely as a downloader, I prefer smaller lots. Larger lots, while fun, take up tons of space & can lag out the whazoo, especially if you're a decent builder and your lot looks at all nice. I'm with those in the 20x20 or 30x30 or smaller (smaller is always welcome!) realm. I find I prefer houses that are meant to be tiny to be built on tiny lots (so there's absolutely no wasted space) & houses that are meant to have a bit of room left over to be built in such a way that there's room for a garden, or play area, or something.

Queen of the Land of Typos.

Check out my simblr.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 10th Sep 2014 at 7:24 PM
I like at least 40X40. Room for driveways, and if your Sims want a bunch of kids, room for playground equipment and maybe a pool.

I should try to see what I can do on smaller lots, though.

Who is Q? qanon.pub