Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 7:29 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Sims 2 Ultimate Collection Graphics Glitch?
Based on what I've seen the common graphics glitch people are experiencing with UC is with the shadow/black boxes but I think mine is different.
Not sure if it's because of the custom content - if I remember correctly a minor version of this glitch happened before I installed any custom content. I could be wrong though.
Anyone experiencing the same problem? Any help? Please and thank you
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 7:31 PM
Wow, ya fucked it. What are your Game Help:System Specswiki?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 8:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
Wow, ya fucked it. What are your Game Help:System Specswiki?

Forgot to mention that it doesn't happen all of the time. I still get to play the game for about 30 mins to 1 hour until I get a glitch like that, and the degree varies. The one in the shot is the worst I've observed and that's what prompted me to ask for help >_< Anyway, game specs here:

--------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 7/26/2014, 03:23:06
Operating System: Windows 7 Starter 32-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.140303-2144)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: LENOVO
System Model: 20235
BIOS: InsydeH2O Version 03.72.2778CN15WW(V1.03)
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1005M @ 1.90GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.9GHz
Memory: 2048MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 1910MB RAM
Page File: 2053MB used, 3575MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0156&SUBSYS_397717AA&REV_09
Display Memory: 763 MB
Dedicated Memory: 64 MB
Shared Memory: 699 MB
Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: unknown
Monitor Id: SEC454C
Native Mode: 1366 x 768(p) (59.995Hz)
Output Type: Internal
Driver Name: igdumd32.dll,igd10umd32.dll,igd10umd32.dll
Driver File Version: 9.17.0010.2932 (English)
Driver Version: 9.17.10.2932
DDI Version: 11
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 12/14/2012 02:02:14, 11049472 bytes

-------------
Sound Devices
-------------
Description: Speakers (High Definition Audio Device)
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes
Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_14F1&DEV_5115&SUBSYS_17AAC03B&REV_1001
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 65535
Type: WDM
Driver Name: HdAudio.sys
Driver Version: 6.01.7601.17514 (English)
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
Date and Size: 11/21/2010 05:29:03, 304128 bytes

------------------------
Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives
------------------------
Drive: C:
Free Space: 139.2 GB
Total Space: 249.9 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: HGST HTS545050A7E380
Test Subject
#4 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 3:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jet2r0cks
Based on what I've seen the common graphics glitch people are experiencing with UC is with the shadow/black boxes but I think mine is different.
Not sure if it's because of the custom content - if I remember correctly a minor version of this glitch happened before I installed any custom content. I could be wrong though.
Anyone experiencing the same problem? Any help? Please and thank you

I have the same problem! Whenever i move or turn the camera the lots flicker and a whole chunk of the screen goes missing! And in cas some of the hair i use (Not CC) glitches out and flickers too! Idk what is happening! I hope someone can fix it!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 4:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JustinBoythesims
I have the same problem! Whenever i move or turn the camera the lots flicker and a whole chunk of the screen goes missing! And in cas some of the hair i use (Not CC) glitches out and flickers too! Idk what is happening! I hope someone can fix it!

Glad I'm not alone! What mods do you have installed? Maybe we installed something that's causing the glitch?
Undead Molten Llama
#6 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 4:09 PM
The problem is that you are playing the game on a machine with integrated graphics that are not up to the game's demands, at least not with your current configuration. TS2 may be old, but if you're playing with all EPs/SPs and/or you have a ton of CC, it is actually very resource-demanding. If this happens after playing the game for a while, I would guess that it's because your graphics chip is overheating and crying out for help.

Please read this: http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...nboard_Graphics and take it to heart. You are damaging your computer, and you need to address this ASAP before you continue to play.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Test Subject
#7 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 4:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JustinBoythesims

Same here, I suspect it is because I have my graphics settings too high. My pc can handle it but I had to reset the shadows to stop the blocks under their feet. I had it at high but there isn't a block under medium.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 5:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
The problem is that you are playing the game on a machine with integrated graphics that are not up to the game's demands, at least not with your current configuration. TS2 may be old, but if you're playing with all EPs/SPs and/or you have a ton of CC, it is actually very resource-demanding. If this happens after playing the game for a while, I would guess that it's because your graphics chip is overheating and crying out for help.

Please read this: http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...nboard_Graphics and take it to heart. You are damaging your computer, and you need to address this ASAP before you continue to play.

Ahhh this actually makes me sad I used to play TS2 on an older laptop which was the same brand. I had all the EPs and a lot more custom content so it ran the game very slowly but I had no problem with the graphics. With the current laptop I'm using it loads a lot faster (with about a fourth of the CC I used to have) but the graphics aren't so good as you can see >_<

Thank you for your advice. I'll try to lower the graphic settings at first and see if it my gaming experience improves.
Undead Molten Llama
#9 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 5:26 PM
Actually, depending on what operating system your old laptop was running, that might have been a better machine for playing the game. Newer OSs (Those after XP) use more RAM and make more demands of the video chip by themselves. When you add an all-EP/SP + CC TS2 game on top of that...Yeah, it's a recipe for destroying your laptop, eventually. It is sad, indeed. At the very least, I would see if you can upgrade the RAM on your laptop, since you've only got 2GB. That might help a bit, and RAM is fairly cheap. It can be difficult to install in laptops, though, depending on its design. And get a cooling pad if you can. The kind of graphics errors you're seeing are, as I understand it, classic symptoms of overheating.

But in the end, unfortunately the game isn't meant to run on a laptop, unless it's a laptop specifically designed for gaming so that it has a dedicated video card, etc. Even then, you have to be careful about heat. If you can, you might want to think about finding yourself an older/used desktop to play on. The one I'm using was bought at a library surplus sale for $100 without a monitor. It played the game pretty well even with the 250MB video card that it came with. I subsequently upgraded that and its RAM and got a big honkin' monitor as a gift, and it runs my game flawlessly, fast and with no lag. So, if you can, that's what I'd ultimately recommend.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Test Subject
#10 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 6:02 PM
Actually, depending on what operating system your old laptop was running, that might have been a better machine for playing the game. Newer OSs (Those after XP) use more RAM and make more demands of the video chip by themselves. When you add an all-EP/SP + CC TS2 game on top of that...Yeah, it's a recipe for destroying your laptop, eventually. It is sad, indeed. At the very least, I would see if you can upgrade the RAM on your laptop, since you've only got 2GB. That might help a bit, and RAM is fairly cheap. It can be difficult to install in laptops, though, depending on its design. And get a cooling pad if you can. The kind of graphics errors you're seeing are, as I understand it, classic symptoms of overheating.

But in the end, unfortunately the game isn't meant to run on a laptop, unless it's a laptop specifically designed for gaming so that it has a dedicated video card, etc. Even then, you have to be careful about heat. If you can, you might want to think about finding yourself an older/used desktop to play on. The one I'm using was bought at a library surplus sale for $100 without a monitor. It played the game pretty well even with the 250MB video card that it came with. I subsequently upgraded that and its RAM and got a big honkin' monitor as a gift, and it runs my game flawlessly, fast and with no lag. So, if you can, that's what I'd ultimately recommend.

Hi! I'm not running with a intergrated graphics card it's a gaming laptop -16gb of ram, i7 processor, independent GeForce card with 3gb of memory on its own. I receive the pixilation but not nearly as bad. The neighborhood overview is extremely detailed but not in a good way. You can't see water just blue blocking and for the "lush" areas a grass texture that should not appear large enough to be 4 four below you. There is some pixilation when I am moving in and out of home with the view (going through walls). I have tried setting the specs on low but that doesn't appear to resolve the issue. Any ideas?
Undead Molten Llama
#11 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 6:45 PM
I'm afraid I'm no expert but, as I understand it, with laptops that have dedicated video cards, they will also have an integrated chip, the idea being that the integrated chip uses far less power, if you're running on battery power. If I'm remembering right, most such machines are designed to use the integrated chip by default for all programs (to save power) unless you tell it otherwise. It sounds to me like TS2 is using the lower-powered integrated chip, and if so, that is likely what is causing your problem.

If that's the case, unfortunately I don't know how you change it. If a person more knowledgeable than me doesn't come along, have a look at some more recent threads because this issue has been discussed recently. If you can't find anything, consult your laptop's documentation because I'm sure it'll say something about it.

Test Subject
#12 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 8:44 PM
I'm having a similar problem, Every now and then the graphics just go kinda crazy, on one family I created I've a cat, and sometimes randomly, the cat's textures just disappear and I just see a black cat, when I was creating the family the "mom" and the "dad" when going to the take a photo room, they graphics went crazy, the only solution I've found is to change the graphics from high to medium but still, It sometimes happens... Here are my PC's specs:
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 7/26/2014, 14:38:30
Machine name: RAÚL-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
Language: Spanish (Regional Setting: Spanish)
System Manufacturer: GHIA
System Model: H61H2-MV
BIOS: BIOS Date: 08/13/13 13:56:51 Ver: 04.06.05
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G2030 @ 3.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory: 2048MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 1926MB RAM
Page File: 2581MB used, 1271MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0152&SUBSYS_7DF51019&REV_09
Display Memory: 771 MB
Dedicated Memory: 64 MB
Shared Memory: 707 MB
Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: DELL E178WFP
Monitor Id: DELD016
Native Mode: 1440 x 900(p) (59.901Hz)
Output Type: HD15
Driver Name: igdumd32.dll,igd10umd32.dll,igd10umd32.dll
Driver File Version: 9.17.0010.3062 (English)
Driver Version: 9.17.10.3062
DDI Version: 10.1
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
------------------------
Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives
------------------------
Drive: C:
Free Space: 423.2 GB
Total Space: 476.8 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: WDC WD5000AAKX-60U6AA0 ATA Device

Drive: D:
Model: TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224DB ATA Device
Driver: c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys, 6.01.7600.16385 (Spanish), 7/13/2009 18:11:26, 108544 bytes

And by the way, I can run Vanilla The Sims 3 on Medium settings pretty smoothly
Instructor
#13 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 9:03 PM
@nortonsapple: If you do have dual cards, like iCad suspects, then by default Sims 2 will try to use the integrated one. If that is the case, then go to NVIDIA Control Panel, Manage 3D Settings, then click on the Global Settings tab. There, one of the first options will be to choose your preferred graphics processors. Set the default to NVIDIA.

On my laptop, I'm also able to just right-click the Sims 2 shortcut, and there's an option listed as Run with graphics processor... And I can choose the NVIDIA card from there.

@mariolink64: It looks like you also are using Intel HD Graphics. Those just don't play nice with older games like Sims 2, and it's really a pity that EA didn't do anything to update the Ultimate Collection for new systems. Try following iCad's advice above to see if you can boost your RAM and get a better performance...but I wouldn't hold my breath. Sorry to say that.
Undead Molten Llama
#14 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 9:03 PM
You have integrated graphics as well, plus only 2GB of RAM. If you have lots of EPs/SPs and/or lots of CC, this is likely insufficient for running the game without overtaxing your system. An overheating graphics chip will cause all sorts of graphics weirdnesses. It is your machine's way of saying "Help!" If it could, it would be whimpering or perhaps even screaming in pain. The longer you make it run the game, the more damage you will potentially do. Read the guide I linked to before.

If the machine is a desktop, then adding a dedicated video card would be a very smart thing to do and will likely fix your issues. One that is sufficient for TS2 should not be too expensive. (I bought a 2GB DDR3 card for my machine for $60 US, but that is much more than sufficient for the game.) If it's a laptop, your options are more limited as you cannot add a video card to most of them unless they came with one in the first place.

Also, the fact that a machine can run a vanilla TS3 well is no indication of whether or not it will run TS2 well. Depending on the TS2 configuration you have, it can be far more of a resource hog than a lean TS3 install.

Test Subject
#15 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 9:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SleepyTabby
@nortonsapple: If you do have dual cards, like iCad suspects, then by default Sims 2 will try to use the integrated one. If that is the case, then go to NVIDIA Control Panel, Manage 3D Settings, then click on the Global Settings tab. There, one of the first options will be to choose your preferred graphics processors. Set the default to NVIDIA.

On my laptop, I'm also able to just right-click the Sims 2 shortcut, and there's an option listed as Run with graphics processor... And I can choose the NVIDIA card from there.

@mariolink64: It looks like you also are using Intel HD Graphics. Those just don't play nice with older games like Sims 2, and it's really a pity that EA didn't do anything to update the Ultimate Collection for new systems. Try following iCad's advice above to see if you can boost your RAM and get a better performance...but I wouldn't hold my breath. Sorry to say that.

That was it! Thanks....one more question for you..I can't play in wide screen anymore. The only option is 600x800; if this is all I can have I'll accept it but just wanted to throw the question out there. Thanks again for yours and Icad's help.
Undead Molten Llama
#16 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 9:29 PM
Check this out: http://www.blackpearlsims.com/showt...tuck-in-800x600

If you have the UC, the file might be in a different place than the paths in this tutorial, but I'm guessing you should be able to find the right file to modify. I did this to make the game work with my huge-antic monitor, and it did the job.

Instructor
#17 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 10:06 PM
Question: Do you know if your graphics card is being recognized by the game? You can tell by looking in the Logs folder (it is near your Downloads folder) at a file called <Your Computer's Name>-config-log. It will say something like your card's name and NOT FOUND IN DATABASE if it isn't being recognized by the game. When I switched mine to my NVIDIA card, it turned out to be too new of a card, so many of my settings were set to low and I couldn't adjust the resolution. You can get a fix for this at leefish's site.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#18 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 10:26 PM
It's really too bad that there isn't one place, that everyone would see, about the UC/Graphics issue. There should be a screen that pops up when you turn on your computer or load the game: "Attention!! Your graphics..blahblahblah".

I say that because there are so many posts here and other places about this now. People really do need to know that installing the UC might strain their graphics card. It IS all EPs/SPs after all. Yes, getting it for free and being able to have it all is great. Frying your graphics card because of it? Not so great.

Does it even list the system requirements FOR THE UC anywhere? Probably not, which is a big fail on EA's part.
Undead Molten Llama
#19 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 10:33 PM
You know, an in-game popup would be awesome. I know that before I patched my TS3 basegame, a window popped up saying that the game didn't like my graphics card...but I guess that's not the same thing. In reality, I think something like that would be impossible because the games individually aren't that "bad." It's when you get them all together and add in a ton of CC that things get hairy.

Although, I'd think the game COULD somehow detect whether the user in using integrated graphics, at least. You can get away with it pretty safely with just the older EPs, but with all of them? Not so much. But, people think, "Hey it's an old game. My laptop is new. It MUST be able to run it." But....not so much, alas.

And I don't know if the system requirements are listed for the UC anywhere, now that you mention it. I suspect not. Or, if they are, I suspect that people aren't paying attention. I suspect it's more like, "Yay, free game! It's old! I just bought my $300 laptop yesterday! Therefore, I MUST be good to go."

Lab Assistant
#20 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 2:49 AM
I'm afraid I'm no expert but, as I understand it, with laptops that have dedicated video cards, they will also have an integrated chip, the idea being that the integrated chip uses far less power, if you're running on battery power. If I'm remembering right, most such machines are designed to use the integrated chip by default for all programs (to save power) unless you tell it otherwise. It sounds to me like TS2 is using the lower-powered integrated chip, and if so, that is likely what is causing your problem.

If that's the case, unfortunately I don't know how you change it. If a person more knowledgeable than me doesn't come along, have a look at some more recent threads because this issue has been discussed recently. If you can't find anything, consult your laptop's documentation because I'm sure it'll say something about it.

this website explains how to change which graphics card is being used https://support.serato.com/hc/en-us...ndows-computer-
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#21 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 12:04 PM
Yes lot's of frying graphic chips. :/

It should and could have some kind of warning or check system in place. When I installed skyrim it said it was checking my settings and recommended medium graphic settings and did I want to go ahead with that? So I said yes, I thought that was awesome. Looks pretty darn good for medium.

It's also the fault of those selling these lap tops. I've seen numerous posts saying 'But I was told it has powerful graphics" Or "I was told it was suitable for gaming". So people are not being correct advice even when they explain they want it to play sims. My advice is say you want it to play Call of Duty and Skyrim and you might get taken more seriously by sellers.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 2nd Oct 2014 at 1:44 PM
Since you have two graphic cards, I suggest reading this . Afterwards you probably need to take care of the resolution which has a guide here. It might not help, but it's worth a try.
Otherwise, you should try to remove all CC and test the game.