Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 4:32 AM Last edited by Rapunzel_ : 30th Sep 2014 at 4:37 AM. Reason: Added some more info

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Straight lines in thought bubbles, corruption?
Hi, I created a custom clean neighborhood without any townies a while ago, but I didn't start using it until yesterday. I used Jawusa (MTS) and Tarlia's templates. I followed a tutorial on MATY, and everything turned out fine until I made a CAS family and this showed up in one instance where he couldn't get past his sister.

Is my neighbourhood going to explode into a BFBVFS? The only bad thing I've done that I can recall is I changed all of my custom townies first/last names in SimPE, which I didn't realise was bad until I read somewhere yesterday that you should use the Lot Debugger to change first names. Would doing that be enough to corrupt the whole neighbourhood? I ran it through Mootilda's HoodChecker and it came up with quite a few errors. I'm a newbie to SimPE, so I don't really know what to do.

EDIT: I forgot to add that in SimPE there are 14 Unknown characters with the Mr. Potato Head and a red background. Is this normal?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 5:39 AM
Lines in thought bubbles can also occur when a sim is trapped and since you said he can't get passed his siter and his hands are raised I would say that is what that is. It's a bit different if you have a sim chatting or just walking along and they get those lines. Another reason those can occur is with cc because the sim has no picture to put up into his thought bubble.

There are always a certain amount of unknown characters, some are universals like Grim or Mrs Crumplebottom. I forget what red is now, but the occasional red is also not a huge concern.

So keep an eye out for things, clean with the hood checker and Boiling Oil's no sim loaded and use that or the bat box to trash gossip. Then make regular backups and it should hopefully keep going a long time.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 6:46 AM
Oh, thank you so much! That eased my mind a lot. I'm just wondering, has changing the sim's names in SimPE messed anything up? Because I read on the wikia here that if you do, it won't change all of the references. Sorry for all the questions, it's just that I've had two neighbourhoods corrupted in my short time of playing and I'd like to make sure this one doesn't blow up before investing any time in it.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 8:36 AM
I know pescado says it's unsafe to change a sims first name in SimPE as it doesn't correctly rename everything, but last names are okay.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 11:08 PM
Yeah, the kid is clearly blocked so that thought bubble wouldn't worry me either. As for the names, I've changed one or two in the past, and nothing bad seems to have happened, but apart from that observation, I really don't know how bad it can be, other than having read the same things you have.

As for the Unknowns, 14 is a lot, I've never had that many but yours might come from something I don't use, like replacement ideal plantsim? I think that generates a potato head.
I usually have five (bird NPC, OFB bots, the toy car, what else was there..). Jo, as far as I know, Grim or Mrs C and all those don't show as Unknowns.

Rapunzel, was the Hood Checker able to "remove" those errors?
Scholar
#6 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 11:35 PM Last edited by d_dgjdhh : 1st Oct 2014 at 12:49 AM.
Incidentally, some of those unknown sims can also be custom content that comes with NPCs (here's an incomplete list: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...ThatCreatesNPCs). It could be normal to have more than 5 unknowns.

Check out my latest version of Superman's Classic Uniform for The Sims 2.
See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 11:46 PM Last edited by Rapunzel_ : 1st Oct 2014 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Added spoilers
Quote: Originally posted by Lili975
Yeah, the kid is clearly blocked so that thought bubble wouldn't worry me either. As for the names, I've changed one or two in the past, and nothing bad seems to have happened, but apart from that observation, I really don't know how bad it can be, other than having read the same things you have.

As for the Unknowns, 14 is a lot, I've never had that many but yours might come from something I don't use, like replacement ideal plantsim? I think that generates a potato head.
I usually have five (bird NPC, OFB bots, the toy car, what else was there..). Jo, as far as I know, Grim or Mrs C and all those don't show as Unknowns.

Rapunzel, was the Hood Checker able to "remove" those errors?

I'm 95% sure I don't have any replacement plantsims or anything unless my clean templates have done that, so no, probably not.

I ran it through HoodChecker and "removed" the errors, but the log was exactly the same after it finished as when I ran it before removing the errors, so I don't think it fixed anything. Here's the log, I'm sorry it's so big. I imagine most of it would be fixable through SimPE, right?
Thanks so much everyone for the help, I really appreciate it!

Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 30th Sep 2014 at 11:59 PM
I can only speak from my experience, but I usually run the HC once clicking "check", to see what, if anything, appears. Then I run it again this time choosing "Remove", and the kind of errors you have in the "Sim Relations" part are removed (invalid relationship to self, ..).

Those Incorrect Subject Instances I don't remember seeing in my HC logs. I notice they're all about vacation locals, and Mootilda seems to say here: http://www2.modthesims.info/showthr...075#post4137075 that it's fixable.

(Edit: btw you can just type [ spoiler] [ / spoiler] yourself, or use one of the choices available like B for bold, and replace the "B" by "spoiler", that way you don't have to type the brackets -or am I the only one lazy enough to do that :p)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 12:14 AM
Lili do Grim or Crumplebutt show up at all?

d_dgjdhh, this is all I get on your link
Quote:
CustomContentThatCreatesNPCs)
There is currently no text in this page. You can search for this page title in other pages, or search the related logs, but you do not have permission to create this page.

~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 12:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Lili do Grim or Crumplebutt show up at all?

d_dgjdhh, this is all I get on your link
Jo, yes, sorry I wasn't more specific, Grim, Mrs C, Ideal Plantsim, the Witch Doctor.. all those universal NPCs who don't have a character file, basically, show with their name and their picture, not as Unknowns.

For the link, clicking on those other links in there took me to the page .
Scholar
#11 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 12:50 AM
Sorry about the link, it's corrected now. I think I put the closed parenthesis [ ")" ] before the [/url] tag, which led to nowhere.

Check out my latest version of Superman's Classic Uniform for The Sims 2.
See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 12:53 AM
I can only speak from my experience, but I usually run the HC once clicking "check", to see what, if anything, appears. Then I run it again this time choosing "Remove", and the kind of errors you have in the "Sim Relations" part are removed (invalid relationship to self, ..).

Yeah, I did the check, saved the log, did the "remove" and saved the log and compared them and noticed that there were no changes, so that really confused me. Weirdest part is I played the family for 2 Sim days, it seemed pretty normal, a bit of lag but it's a family of 5 and my computer isn't top notch so I guess that's to be expected. When I checked it through with HoodChecker, all the errors were gone and the log was empty. I think what fixed it is I installed BO's No Sim Loaded mod and his No Trash Memories mod along with a bunch of other fixes that I probably should have gotten a while ago.

Those Incorrect Subject Instances I don't remember seeing in my HC logs. I notice they're all about vacation locals, and Mootilda seems to say here: http://www2.modthesims.info/showthr...075#post4137075 that it's fixable.

So there's nothing to worry about in regard to that? The only subhood I've added to the neighborhood so far was Twikii Island. I was going to add a Uni one earlier but I didn't feel like making a bunch of dormies.

By the way, as I was testing the family, I noticed that the family cat also had the weird straight line thing in its thought bubbles, the same as the boy did. I think it was because it couldn't get past, but I'm not 100% sure since I was playing on 3x speed and by the time I actually noticed it the cat was in the adjacent room but it still had that weird thought bubble. Also the boy still gets the lines in the thought bubble every time he can't get past anyone. Penny for your thoughts?
Field Researcher
#13 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 7:23 AM Last edited by budwinys : 1st Oct 2014 at 7:48 AM.
I had this same issue a while ago in a lot of families. The squiggle lines would pop up on one clearly unblocked sim, and "blocked" spots would eventually spread around the house. At one point, none of my sims could move. The most common spots seemed to be in front of the stove and dishwasher, strangely. Unfortunately, the only input I can offer is that it may not be a sign of impending neighborhood corruption, as I've been playing fine. The problem fixed itself when I either A) Gave up on the family and created a new one or B) moved the family out and then in a different household. Mootilda's Hood Checker may have helped prevent it happening again, but I'm not certain.

A sort of interesting (but kind of pointless) thing is that the "lines" are actually all of the motives pictures squished together in one bubble. If you rotate the camera at just the right angle, you can see a toilet/bed/chair etc. I have pictures, but they're blurry and useless.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 8:17 AM
If you feel you are getting blocked spots where there should be nothing check on the bat box for invisible stuck objects like kicky bag.
If that does nothing place the stuck object remover on the blocked square but just make sure to move anything next to it as it may demolish it to nothing. If it destroys something it should say. If you haven't used it before it is here: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s...hp?topic=1609.0 and you need to unpause in live mode for it to work, it looks like a yellow box in the catalog.

~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 1st Oct 2014 at 10:15 AM
Rapunzel, I have no idea why the Hood Checker is being uncooperative like that, or how to fix it. Like I said, those "Sim Relations" are always removed by the HC for me, and according to Mootilda, those Twikkii locals should have been fixed too :/ I agree that it's a relief to read that it's a known and fixable issue, even though it's not fixed yet

About those lines, if they really worry you, maybe moving out and back in should be considered? Or maybe start by replacing some of the furniture, especially if the cat had the thought bubble around that same place. I see custom content on that pic, maybe something in there doesn't have a proper icon and is displayed as those lines instead? The wallpaper also makes me think that the ConstrainFloorElevation cheat might have been used to build the house (I think, I'm no building expert^^), maybe that might be another reason why sims route-fail there and display that icon?
I sometimes see those squished thoughts myself when sims use the fingerprint gun, or when they look out the window. Though it's never pleasant, from what I understand as long as they don't appear in gossip or talk bubbles, they're okay. (And indeed nothing weird/unusual is reported in your Hood Checker results).