Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
#76 Old 6th Mar 2005 at 4:15 AM
I'm on step 4..when I tried to export and save the file.it give me "runtime error 9" everytime, I already try different way but' doesn't work...pls help
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#77 Old 6th Mar 2005 at 11:06 AM
What does the "using 3ds max" ? Is it remove the root bone ?
And why i cannot export as multiple assigned vertex per bones ?
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#78 Old 6th Mar 2005 at 1:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by psyckotic
What does the "using 3ds max" ? Is it remove the root bone ?
And why i cannot export as multiple assigned vertex per bones ?

the using 3ds max tells the mesh tool to expect a smd file created by the cannon fodder plugin for 3ds studio, files created with this add a extra bone to the end of the bone list and also change the reference for each vertice from the original root bone to this new bone. Softimage XSI does a similar thing except it adds the new bone to the start of the list of bones, but doesn`t change the reference in each vertice.

While I didn`t look at the gmdc file which you included to be sure, I expect the reason you can`t export it with multiple bones per vertice, is because the object in the gmdc only uses one bone per vertice, only body/hair meshes and a few other objects use more than one. With the current version of the mesh tool you can only export a object to a smd in the multiple bones per vertice format if the original gmdc file used more than one bone per vertice.
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#79 Old 6th Mar 2005 at 1:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lunatic
I'm on step 4..when I tried to export and save the file.it give me "runtime error 9" everytime, I already try different way but' doesn't work...pls help

Upload the files you are having problems with and I`ll take a look for you.
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#80 Old 6th Mar 2005 at 1:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Crammyboy
I have been attempting to add an obj mesh to a body mesh, and it works quite well, but the final GDMC is missing the datalists for fat and pregnant.
Is there any way of getting these back?

The mesh is only the lower part, works perfect when the body is in a normal state, but when fat/pregant, there is a split.

if you are using the add model feature to add a obj mesh to a original gmdc file for a body mesh (the mesh in it hasn`t be changed before) , then yes you should be able to keep the fat and pregnant data by leaving the "editing body" box unchecked but make sure you check the "3 weights" box instead.
Lab Assistant
#81 Old 6th Mar 2005 at 9:52 PM
hi I've tried to export smd file as in the tutorial but had no succes. When i load and object file, then go to 3d view, then edit group, there is no entry inthe object list box... And if Iload a gmdc i have no 3view and no object..
Can someone help?
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#82 Old 6th Mar 2005 at 11:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by natrobo
hi I've tried to export smd file as in the tutorial but had no succes. When i load and object file, then go to 3d view, then edit group, there is no entry inthe object list box... And if Iload a gmdc i have no 3view and no object..
Can someone help?

I`m not sure what you are doing, you need to give more details, but what you need to do, is start the mesh tool , and then go straight to the 3d view, then if you are loading a smd file created by softimage xsi or 3ds studio check the correct box, and then load the smd file , using the option from the menu in the 3d view, then load the gmdc again using the option from the menu.

then you should have the entries in the listboxes. If you don`t then there is some problem with either the smd or gmdc files you are using.
Lab Assistant
#83 Old 7th Mar 2005 at 12:28 AM Last edited by Saikatsu : 7th Mar 2005 at 12:49 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Miche
I really don`t mean to sound rude either but as I said in a earlier reply to you, there wasn`t anything wrong with the files you posted and it worked fine when I used the mesh tool to reimport it. Also as I said, the only way I can help you find out why it wasn`t working for you, is if you post the details of exactly what you did.

Oh! I must have misread your last post towards me. Sorry about that.

I pretty much followed all the steps laid out in the mini tutorial... so I must be doing something wrong in the reimport process and not following one of the vital steps given. That should help me figure out what I'm doing to mess up, since it's not my files that have a problem. Thank you, again, sorry for the trouble!

EDIT: Okay... now I'm getting angry. I just used the same files I posted and made sure to follow every single step listed, and it's still not putting the new mesh into the GMDC! I see the new mesh in the Mesh Tool but it flat out isn't working.
I go straight to the 3D view, click on Using 3DS MAX, open Mesh, load the smd, open GMDC, load the original GMDC file, check Body Editing, check Edit Groups, select object 1 under models, select top under Objects, change the 0 under Sub-Group # to 1...

OH.

AHAHAHAHA.

I was forgetting to click the Commit button! Augh! Now I just feel like an idiot. XD Sorry to bother you with my stupidity!
Lab Assistant
#84 Old 7th Mar 2005 at 4:28 AM Last edited by Crammyboy : 7th Mar 2005 at 3:07 PM.
Miche.

Thanks for the info.
It worked mostly, but I ended up with a few "tails". I always use the origonal GMDC anyway, so that wasn't the problem.
I did some searching and discovered that the mesh tool had created 3 extra vertices in the Elements section, vertices identity, (All set to zero), and I copied the last real vertex into these. which reduces the problem effects.
Still not perfect though.
Hope this helps.

Thanks again.
Lab Assistant
#85 Old 7th Mar 2005 at 12:29 PM
What i did:
1 using SimPE 15, export object from a body file, and allso export gmcd .
2 open sim2 meshtool, go to 3dview, import object file exported in 1
3 clic on edit group
4 here is the problem: the tutorial says to clic on body in object window: I dn't have any entry in the object window. I have one in model window. I' ve tryed to select the body in the model window then export smd ; I choosed the one bone per vertice because i use Milkshape.
5 close sim2 mesh tool Open milkshape and import the smd I created : Milkshape freeze.
Can you help me?
Thanks
Nat
Lab Assistant
#86 Old 7th Mar 2005 at 5:23 PM
Thank you for your tutorial.I would like to ask you something about the tutorial.

If a body has several models, do I have to load the same gmdc ,press 'replace' several times and then save it after each meshes is loaded or load all the meshes before loading the gmdc? What is the use of the button 'add model'?

When I have loaded one of the meshes of a hair and a gmdc, I see something different from your tutorial. I see '1' in the box' sub-group#' in the tool bar instead of 0 .At the same time, the box ' sub-group#' under' model' is blank. Should I change anything in these box? I am not sure which box you were talking about.

I see all the models' names in the object box after loading a gmdc. Should I select anything here when I load a mesh of a model each time? How about 'Num sub-group'?

I use XSI mod tool. Plz see the picture and tell me which option should be checked when exporting a smd.Thx!
Screenshots
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#87 Old 7th Mar 2005 at 8:40 PM
What i did:
1 using SimPE 15, export object from a body file, and allso export gmcd .
2 open sim2 meshtool, go to 3dview, import object file exported in 1
3 clic on edit group
4 here is the problem: the tutorial says to clic on body in object window: I dn't have any entry in the object window. I have one in model window. I' ve tryed to select the body in the model window then export smd ; I choosed the one bone per vertice because i use Milkshape.
5 close sim2 mesh tool Open milkshape and import the smd I created : Milkshape freeze.
Can you help me?
Thanks
Nat

It sounds like you are loading a obj file, you need to load the gmdc file (which will have the extension of either .simpe or .5gd) then the objects in that gmdc file will be listed in the object list and you will be able to export them. (as long as they are objects which use bones)
Lab Assistant
#88 Old 7th Mar 2005 at 9:17 PM
Thanks Miche
I tryed to load a gmdc file and found body, in the object window, then export smdand close meshtool. Open milkshape (1.7.4) import half life smd. And milkshape freeze...
Thanks again for helping
nat
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#89 Old 7th Mar 2005 at 10:32 PM
Thanks Miche
I tryed to load a gmdc file and found body, in the object window, then export smdand close meshtool. Open milkshape (1.7.4) import half life smd. And milkshape freeze...
Thanks again for helping
nat

It`s still freezing, can you post the gmdc file and the smd file you are using.
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#90 Old 7th Mar 2005 at 10:32 PM
Thanks Miche
Thanks again for helping
nat

It`s still freezing?, can you post the gmdc file and the smd file you are using.
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#91 Old 7th Mar 2005 at 11:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mabelline
Thank you for your tutorial.I would like to ask you something about the tutorial.

If a body has several models, do I have to load the same gmdc ,press 'replace' several times and then save it after each meshes is loaded or load all the meshes before loading the gmdc? What is the use of the button 'add model'?

When I have loaded one of the meshes of a hair and a gmdc, I see something different from your tutorial. I see '1' in the box' sub-group#' in the tool bar instead of 0 .At the same time, the box ' sub-group#' under' model' is blank. Should I change anything in these box? I am not sure which box you were talking about.

I see all the models' names in the object box after loading a gmdc. Should I select anything here when I load a mesh of a model each time? How about 'Num sub-group'?

I use XSI mod tool. Plz see the picture and tell me which option should be checked when exporting a smd.Thx!

okay to answer your last question first (as it`s the easiest), you want the first two options checked but leave the last one "remove unused bones" unchecked.

now back to the first question.

I`m not sure what you mean, most body gmdc only have a body (or a top or bottom) mesh in them (though a few have other meshes). So do you mean you are trying to add multiple meshes to the one mesh in the gmdc file?
Untill I know what you are trying to do it`s hard to give a good answer.

But some general answers are : you can only load one smd file and one gmdc at a time in the current version of the mesh tool (this will be changing), so you need to assign the model into the gmdc file then save it, then repeat.

The "add model" button is used to add meshes from obj files into the meshes of the gmdc without replacing the original mesh in the gmdc , so you could add a extra mesh to a object but keep the original mesh/objects as well. Future versions of the mesh tool will also allow you to add smd meshes in this way.

Next question , the top sub-groups# box is used when viewing the model from the gmdc file, you don`t change anything directly in this box, just use the buttons below it to look through the groups. (don`t worry if it says 1 instead of 0)
The box which you use to assign a mesh from a smd or obj file to a mesh in the gmdc is the box at the bottom right of the screen.
I really shouldn`t of named them the same thing, that was a bad mistake.

The names in the model list are the meshes from the smd/obj file, the names in the objects list are those in the gmdc file, to assign/place a mesh from the smd file into the gmdc file, you select the mesh from the objects list and then the mesh/object from the objects list into which you want to place it and then enter the sub group number (or if using a smd file then any number other than 0) into the sub-groups# box in the bottom right of the screen, then click commit and then replace button.

If you still aren`t sure of anything , post again, as it`s a bit hard from me to tell you exactly what to do when I`m not sure exactly what you are trying to do.
Lab Assistant
#92 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 8:24 AM
okay to answer your last question first (as it`s the easiest), you want the first two options checked but leave the last one "remove unused bones" unchecked.

now back to the first question.

I`m not sure what you mean, most body gmdc only have a body (or a top or bottom) mesh in them (though a few have other meshes). So do you mean you are trying to add multiple meshes to the one mesh in the gmdc file?
Untill I know what you are trying to do it`s hard to give a good answer.

But some general answers are : you can only load one smd file and one gmdc at a time in the current version of the mesh tool (this will be changing), so you need to assign the model into the gmdc file then save it, then repeat.

The "add model" button is used to add meshes from obj files into the meshes of the gmdc without replacing the original mesh in the gmdc , so you could add a extra mesh to a object but keep the original mesh/objects as well. Future versions of the mesh tool will also allow you to add smd meshes in this way.

Next question , the top sub-groups# box is used when viewing the model from the gmdc file, you don`t change anything directly in this box, just use the buttons below it to look through the groups. (don`t worry if it says 1 instead of 0)
The box which you use to assign a mesh from a smd or obj file to a mesh in the gmdc is the box at the bottom right of the screen.
I really shouldn`t of named them the same thing, that was a bad mistake.

The names in the model list are the meshes from the smd/obj file, the names in the objects list are those in the gmdc file, to assign/place a mesh from the smd file into the gmdc file, you select the mesh from the objects list and then the mesh/object from the objects list into which you want to place it and then enter the sub group number (or if using a smd file then any number other than 0) into the sub-groups# box in the bottom right of the screen, then click commit and then replace button.

If you still aren`t sure of anything , post again, as it`s a bit hard from me to tell you exactly what to do when I`m not sure exactly what you are trying to do.

Ok, let me explain it better.
Assume a body has 2 models-A & B, I want to import 2 edited meshes-A & B for the models with the mesh tool. If I follow what you said, then I:

open the mesh tool in 3d view
> tick the box 'using xsi mod tool'
> load mesh A
> load the original gmdc
> tick the box 'body editing'( Is this step also applicable for hair?)
> tick ' edit groups'
> no change in both ' sub-groups#' boxes(???)
> select model A in the list under 'object'
> enter sub-groups# under 'model' (how can I know the 'sub-groups#'?)
> commit
> no change in 'Num sub-groups'(???)
> replace
> save as a SimPE file
> load mesh B
> load the same gmdc
> repeat the same thing
> save in the same SimPE file

Is there anything wrong or missed?
Lab Assistant
#93 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 12:25 PM
Miche
here are the smd and the gdmc file.
Thanks
Nat
Attached files:
File Type: zip  gdmc and smd.zip (146.1 KB, 57 downloads) - View custom content
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#94 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 1:43 PM
Miche
here are the smd and the gdmc file.
Thanks
Nat

The problem is the smd file has been written out with "," in place of "."

I know some countries use "," in place of "." , and this is set somewhere in the control panel, but at the moment I can`t remember where. One way of fixing this problem is to open the smd file in notepad or wordpad and do a replace of all , with .
#95 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 1:50 PM
Miche, here is it , I also got runtime error 9, when I try to tik gmdc view box,
:confused: you probably get it working but' I don't know what I miss when I did it by myself
Attached files:
File Type: rar  test555.rar (94.5 KB, 26 downloads)
File Type: rar  afBodyDressAboveKnee_tslocator_gmdc.rar (55.8 KB, 26 downloads)
Lab Assistant
#96 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 11:01 PM
Thanks Miche, But to change all, into . will take forever....I 'so sad
Nat
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#97 Old 9th Mar 2005 at 1:07 AM
Thanks Miche, But to change all, into . will take forever....I 'so sad
Nat

there should be a replace option in the edit menu of notepad, so you enter , as the letter to be replaced and . as what is to be used instead. I know it`ll still take a couple of minutes for the program to replace them all though.
Lab Assistant
#98 Old 9th Mar 2005 at 5:48 AM
Miche/Delphy

I have found a problem with adding and obj file to a hair mesh. The resulting gmdc has a messed up Bone Weights part of the elements section. I have uploaded the origonal gmdc, obj, resulting gmdc and a debug log. Could you please check that I haven't done anything stupid.

Thanks.
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#99 Old 9th Mar 2005 at 12:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Crammyboy
Miche/Delphy

I have found a problem with adding and obj file to a hair mesh. The resulting gmdc has a messed up Bone Weights part of the elements section. I have uploaded the origonal gmdc, obj, resulting gmdc and a debug log. Could you please check that I haven't done anything stupid.

Thanks.

At the moment the current version of the mesh tool will not work with that gmdc file, as it uses a format which allows upto two bones per vertice, as most objects either allow one bone or three bones per vertice, I added support for them first, and haven`t had time so far to add support for the objects which only allow upto two. The next version should support these objects, sorry I can`t be of any more help.

A question for you though, what did you use to create the debug log?
Lab Assistant
#100 Old 9th Mar 2005 at 2:57 PM
A question for you though, what did you use to create the debug log?

I was quite interrested to see how the GMDC was put together, so I went through the wiki and wrote a program. I was hoping to do something very simple for adding obj to body meshes, but haven't get very far with that.
Page 4 of 14