Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

Theme Seasons and Celebrations - posted on 1st Oct 2017 at 1:52 PM
Replies: 15416 (Who?), Viewed: 800415 times.
Page 613 of 617
Lab Assistant
#15301 Old 18th Jul 2017 at 7:30 PM
Hi, I just updated: 7.4 "Spam"
This chapter is mainly toddler and party spam. :p
Field Researcher
#15302 Old 19th Jul 2017 at 5:27 PM
Looking forward to catching up with everyone's stories & comments on my RLC now that I'm back from vacation! Don't think I'm going to be able to update anytime soon. I pinched a nerve in my neck and can't even sit at my desk without extreme pain. Thank goodness I don't have a 9-5!
Instructor
#15303 Old 19th Jul 2017 at 7:14 PM
I hope you enjoyed your vacation, mommyice! Sorry about your injury--that sounds so painful! I hope you recover soon!

I have an update:
2.13. Better Not Wake the Baby

I'll be catching up on reading everyone's updates posthaste!

Lab Assistant
#15304 Old 20th Jul 2017 at 6:08 AM
So, uhm, hi everybody? I kinda fell off the face of the earth for a (long) time, but I had a good reason (I hope XD). If anybody is really interested in that reason, I've left a post on my blog to explain my absence. I'm not entirely sure when the next Marquel chapter will be posted, but I haven't abandoned my simmies, so it'll come. In the meantime, I'll be catching up on all the legacies I've fallen behind on.

Call me Ann, or ConDre/condre.

_~...~_
Lab Assistant
#15305 Old 21st Jul 2017 at 9:42 PM Last edited by Frogsnack : 23rd Jul 2017 at 10:42 PM.
Everyone's blogs are awesome so far... I've not been able to read one completely from the beginning, but all the hard work you guys and gals put in is clear. I might be over commenting on them, so please don't feel like you all have to respond to my rantings on your pages. If I get inspired to say something, I blab a little.

New post (probably another tomorrow too). I've been posting a lot because I want to get started on the actual legacy beginning, but I have to let the story mature first.
Progress http://sparrowlegacychallenge.blogs...7/progress.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
EDIT: I have a question about unlisted career ideas (especially regarding store content). Is there any opinion on the following ideas? They'd be in the non-standard list, I'm thinking about adding them to my personal roll for jobs.

Non-Standard: Resort Management/ Investor (Island Paradise). Create and Manage resorts, must start by purchasing a vacant lot and get each resort up to a 4 start level before opening a new one, or some such rule.

Cannery: With Mods like this one and the store content canning station it's possible to sell rations and jam. The jam jars were set by EA to sell for 100 Simoleans each, with the overhaul mod it's possible to make jars of individual servings but that means that a full meal broken up could bring in 800 which is a little too high. So there could be a limitation on only making rations from whole meals, although I have good experience with this mod and it gets pretty annoying to split the meals up etc. Also the jars depreciate over time by 20 simoleans a day, and to my knowledge you cannot consign them.

With all the cooking involved I think this is a valid career no matter what is decided about the individual meals. It takes a lot of time.

Home Bakery/ Restaurant: the bakery store items (kids can sell baked goods they make too at the park or whatever), the business time industrial oven to make a restaurant, etc etc.

Beekeeping- Literally just buying hives and maintaining beehives, selling honey/wax at the consignment shop. This could also be a specific gardening career where only one crop is planted for the 'season', since bees will only choose one type of plant at a time. You can ALSO use the beeswax in the caning station with the mod above to make candles to sell. :3

Car Repair Shop- Again store content like Midnight Hollow's ability to have a car lot 'hangout' that earns income or (the better option), buying the fixer upper car and selling it once it's fixed up. I don't recall how many game hours it takes to fix the car up, but I think it's at least 9.

Forge- The Glassblowing set (Again store content). Sell homemade glass items.

Outdoorsman, selling things earned with festival tickets. I know there aren't a lot of levels in the 'sports' and it's easy to get to the top but festivals aren't in town every day, so maybe there's a rule that you can't buy your own half pipe or rinks to skill up outside of the festivals? Also, pie eating etc does not count.

Also, this one is not based on game content but what about being a personal trainer who trains sims at the gym, then adding money with the family funds cheat for each hour session worked?

...I'm guessing these have been discussed before for the challenge? But I'd rally love you opinions on these!
Screenshots

Bread edges.... are the new white meat.
Test of Time Challenge! Family Tree, Stats & Pics
Watch my Test of Time Challenge Let's Play on Youtube!
Forum Resident
#15306 Old 22nd Jul 2017 at 12:16 PM
I have another update, Chapter 1.19
Lab Assistant
#15307 Old 22nd Jul 2017 at 5:14 PM
@MommyIce Oh no! I hope it heals up soon!
Lab Assistant
#15308 Old 24th Jul 2017 at 1:34 AM
Just popping in to drop this, if anybody is interested:

Chapter 3.04 - Old Wives' Tales

The Marquels is back in the game!

ETA:
@Frogsnack: You've got some nice ideas, but I think some of those have already been incorporated. I'm pretty sure resorts are one of those things you're allowed to make money off anytime. The cannery and beehives would be part of the farmer career though. But you could always keep them seperate careers in your game and just roll manually for them.

_~...~_
Test Subject
#15309 Old 25th Jul 2017 at 9:22 AM
@MommyIce : Hope you feel better soon!

@FrogSnack : Some interesting ideas there, FrogSnack!

I could have sworn that resort management was already on the list. I was really hoping to roll it some day! It's surprising that it's not already a full career option :O

Beekeeping and canning preserves could possibly be added to the farmer/nectar maker career, to provide some variety. It might be a bit much to do for a sim's meager lifespan, but these things go together irl, at least

I haven't played around with the glassblowing set at all, but the description says it comes with a new skill of its own. I don't see why that shouldn't be a full non-standard career! Good idea! (Then again, I don't think there are any careers based exclusively on store items. There's always the option to reroll if you don't have the item, but still.)

A personal trainer career could be cute gameplay-wise, but having to take care of the payment using cheats feels a bit too artificial for me personally. I know other sims challenges often work like this, but I think one of the nice things about the RLC is that it takes advantage of the many actual in-game ways of making money instead of forcing something that isn't there.

As for bakery/restaurant and car repair - maybe we'd need to playtest these a bit? Could be fun though.
Field Researcher
#15310 Old 25th Jul 2017 at 8:37 PM
I have an update!
Chapter 3.46 Long Time in which there's a rather 4th wall breaking time skip, and everything is kinda caught up with. I wasn't going to do one, but I realised that I didn't have much motivation to take pictures for the bit I've now skipped over, so I was putting it off, and that's not the right attitude! So, timeskip!

My Random Legacy Blog: Matthews' Random Legacy
I don't really know what else to say other than I like bunnies
Lab Assistant
#15311 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 3:05 AM
I have an update: 7.5 "Family Ties" in which I discuss a few disturbing family ties. D:
Wordpress had this set as published two months ago, for some reason. I edited the calendar date, but I'm not sure if it will show in feeds correctly for those who are following me.

@Frogsnack The cannery stuff looks fun! I also think it could be part of the gardener career. I also like the auto shop suggestion.
Lab Assistant
#15312 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 10:03 AM
Hi, sorry, I'm still alive, just vanished for a bit; I try to get an update out this weekend and am catching up with your stories!

Re: new careers. I'm against any custom careers that require cheats or mods to pay yourself (as much as I'd love a cat/dog breeder career ) Store content careers depends a bit on how popular these are/how many people buy store content? I don't have any, so I'd have to reroll them, but combining with existing careers is of course always an option! Beekeeping to farmer career makes sense. Glassblowing to sculpting maybe?
Inventor
Original Poster
#15313 Old 28th Jul 2017 at 3:58 AM
I don't have the glass blowing store set so I don't know how well balanced it is. If we need to add it as a career, I'd add it to the sculpting career. Giving some variety to the non-rabbithole careers is one way to make them more interesting and fun (especially if you have played a bunch of generations and rolled almost everything a lot already).
Lab Assistant
#15314 Old 29th Jul 2017 at 8:27 AM Last edited by Frogsnack : 29th Jul 2017 at 4:09 PM.
Thanks for the responses everybody. I'm thinking once I've played more of the challenge I may separate a few rolls and things like 'farming' could be three rolls into even 'arborist/orchard', 'cannery, ' 'bee farm' or even just 'berry farm' which can consist of a the baker's station and strictly the berry producing plants etc. So the rolls I'm excited to try I might split up eventually. Also it makes sense from a gameplay standpoint to have resort management not as a roll because there's no real skill involved, but from a storytelling standpoint I would love to work it in, it would just make my sims ignore their real rolls, guaranteed. Although you could make it a gambling operation or play out your politician as a landowner who has fundraisers there etc.

And nectar Making is really tied into Mixology for me but they take up too much of an individual sims time which can be frustrating. But seeing as you can use the fruits you harvest in drinks you mix that would be my dream roll to have both, like a couple that runs a bar with a nectary in the basement. (plus there's a create your own new drinks mod floating around somewhere that can be pretty fun. I'd link it but I had a game go pretty corrupt when it was installed and i haven't ruled it out as a culprit yet)

About the glass blowing as I recall it is a 10 step skill, but when I plopped it down into the uni world when I first played it there was some glitch where my sim went from a level 3 to an 8 or 9 in one night, so I'd want to test play it again for sure.

New longish post I couldn't divide up where things finally start moving again.
Non Sequitur: http://sparrowlegacychallenge.blogs...n-sequitur.html

Forum Resident
#15315 Old 29th Jul 2017 at 4:10 PM
I have another update, Chapter 1.20
Lab Assistant
#15316 Old 30th Jul 2017 at 6:34 AM
New update for the Marquels!

Chapter 3.05 - Anomaly

_~...~_
Field Researcher
#15317 Old 31st Jul 2017 at 6:06 PM Last edited by MommyIce : 31st Jul 2017 at 6:42 PM.
I did it! I managed to update my RLC! Massages for Pregnant Ladies

I also completed Heatherfeather19's Memory Lane Challenge. Aw, so much fun looking back at my earlier generations! Black-Wolff Memory Lane Challenge
Instructor
#15318 Old 1st Aug 2017 at 5:17 PM
Re: adding store stuff. This is really specific to me as a player, but I really like being able to actually have my sims join a career, and I like having choices as to what they do if it's a non-standard career. So nectar maker/farmer is perfect because I can have my sims focus on a different thing depending on my interest. I really don't like mixologist because Lark is technically unemployeed and she keeps rolling wishes to join careers. That makes me feel like a guilty sim mom. XD

I know I still need to catch up with blogs, and I feel super bad about leaving off my last chapter on a cliffhanger. I had the following two chapters outlined and partially written and then I decided to change everything based on some comments and so now I have to start from scratch-ish. XD Whoops. I just wanna play my game and see what the new baby looks like!

Test Subject
#15319 Old 1st Aug 2017 at 6:22 PM
Hello!
I have a question about rolling careers. There is a primary career and 2 secondary careers and sometimes the secondary careers are like rabbitholes careers and you canĀ“t have 2 careers at the same time so am I supposed to re roll or switch career later?
And I have a suggestion to add the how many kids roll with pets too.
Field Researcher
#15320 Old 1st Aug 2017 at 9:13 PM
Hey ZyxX! Welcome to the thread! ^-^
The way I'm getting what you're saying is that you have a roll which is like 'second chance' or 'double help' or something. In those cases, one sim to one career (like for second chance, the first partner gets the first rolled career and the second partner gets the second rolled career). However, if it's just regular couple then one secondary and one primary (the heir doesn't get a secondary career, only a primary).

TL;DR: When it comes to secondary, you get the number of careers for spouses/other people in the household, and one career per sim

Feel free to correct me or whatever if I get the wrong impression/misread, but yeah, that's my answer ^-^

My Random Legacy Blog: Matthews' Random Legacy
I don't really know what else to say other than I like bunnies
Test Subject
#15321 Old 1st Aug 2017 at 10:15 PM
I see! Thank you! ^-^
Lab Assistant
#15322 Old 3rd Aug 2017 at 3:09 AM
Welcome, ZyxX! And I'd have to know what you rolled as your marital structure to understand the question. If you have a couple, the heir is the primary and their spouse is the secondary, so there's only one secondary income in that case. Generally every sim in your marital structure is only going to have one income source for their lifetime, unless you rolled job hopper for one of them.

I have an update: 7.6 "Parenting Thing"
Lab Assistant
#15323 Old 3rd Aug 2017 at 6:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherfeather19
Welcome, ZyxX!

Seconding this! And about the helper roles I was curious too but I'm not that far into my legacy yet to have to deal with it, so I was also glad you asked. :3

On an unrelated note I don't have an update but I broke and decided to try the pose player after seeing everything you all are able to do with it (after playing TS3 since it's inception). And HOT DAMN I am never going back.
Screenshots

Field Researcher
#15324 Old 3rd Aug 2017 at 9:11 PM
Been away for awhile, but here's an update!

2.15 Finished
Lab Assistant
#15325 Old 5th Aug 2017 at 12:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogsnack
On an unrelated note I don't have an update but I broke and decided to try the pose player after seeing everything you all are able to do with it (after playing TS3 since it's inception). And HOT DAMN I am never going back.

Pose player is pretty epic, yeah. Have you tried the add-on as well? It gives even more dimension to the pose player. It's something I can no longer go without. XD

On an unrelated topic, I have a quick, fun, just-because-I'm-curious question. How do you choose your sims' names? I'm reaching the point in my legacy where I almost have to choose the first child's name and I'm struggling to decide. For *spoiler* reasons I can't use my normal method and it made me wonder how everyone else does it.

_~...~_
Page 613 of 617