Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd May 2011 at 2:51 AM
Is anyone else having trouble with Merchants?
Just a quick question. I seem to be experiencing some sort of weird transient problem whereby my Merchant can't get into her house. Even though she's standing in the market place (where the three tents with items for sale are), her house doesn't "open up". There are only the interactions "Enter" and "Look At", as if it was another Hero's house.

I think it's related to opening and closing the market stall. It occurs if I have my market stall open too late and the game automatically closes it. As well as doing Close For Business on the market stall, the game also closes up the house, and my Merchant can't get into it again. Sometimes cycling Open For Business and Close For Business manually will open the house again, but not always.

I have no custom content and the latest patch. Is this a known EA bug? It's very annoying!

(Ancient) Sims 2 stories | Adventurous, Bookworm, Eco-Friendly, Genius, Over-Emotional
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 23rd May 2011 at 3:57 AM

I get the 'Enter' option for everyone, even if it's their own house.
I just click it and then right away the 'Follow Sim' button and my sims can go inside their house and it takes down the front wall.

Test Subject
#3 Old 23rd May 2011 at 12:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by baratron
Just a quick question. I seem to be experiencing some sort of weird transient problem whereby my Merchant can't get into her house. Even though she's standing in the market place (where the three tents with items for sale are), her house doesn't "open up". There are only the interactions "Enter" and "Look At", as if it was another Hero's house.

That is how it should be.
Use "Look at" to 'open up' the interior or use "Enter" to send the hero home.

Why you can't use "Go Home" is because you are already home, i.e. the market stalls area are a part of the "home".
Mad Poster
#4 Old 24th May 2011 at 2:41 AM
I have this problem with the merchants all the time. I can't get them to enter their house so I try to avoid playing the merchant. Does anyone have a soution? It seems to be a routing problem. The merchant can't seem to go into the door; he just walks by it and stays outside and I can't get the front wall down.
Test Subject
#5 Old 25th May 2011 at 4:05 AM
Right clicking on the market building doesn't bring down the front wall? Once you can see inside the building a goto command anywhere on the ground should do it. Sending the merchant "home" has them stand next to the building (same for the "enter" command). As was already said, the front courtyard with the stalls is part of the "home."
Mad Poster
#6 Old 27th May 2011 at 7:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by _alphaBeta_
Right clicking on the market building doesn't bring down the front wall? Once you can see inside the building a goto command anywhere on the ground should do it. Sending the merchant "home" has them stand next to the building (same for the "enter" command). As was already said, the front courtyard with the stalls is part of the "home."

Right clicking worked. Thanks! (I never can figure out these shortcuts for myself... )
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 12th Jun 2011 at 10:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Spoonist
Use "Look at" to 'open up' the interior or use "Enter" to send the hero home.

Ah! I didn't know what the "Look at" did. I thought it would just have your sim gaze at the outside of the building!

OK, that seems to work even when the "Enter" won't. Thanks!

(Ancient) Sims 2 stories | Adventurous, Bookworm, Eco-Friendly, Genius, Over-Emotional
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 30th Jun 2011 at 1:56 AM
My problem is that my merchant and his wife have decided that they live in the castle. Its driving my monarch crazy. How do I reset them back to the market ?

Yes it is the clothes that makes the Sim
Test Subject
#9 Old 30th Jun 2011 at 6:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Outfit_Planner
My problem is that my merchant and his wife have decided that they live in the castle. Its driving my monarch crazy. How do I reset them back to the market ?

There are a couple ways to fix this, this is just one, with testing cheats enabled.
I am assuming in kingdom mode (not in a quest) that you see the merchant house is unoccupied, if so then create a new merchant (create a sim).
Start a quest with the new merchant. While playing as new merchant find your old merchant on screen, shift key+left mouse click on your old merchant and then select 'add to active family' (as this is your main objective).
Then find and do the same with the wife. Save your game as a new file.
Now, either keep the new merchant as a live-in family member or kill off the new merchant (send them to the pit),
or even move him to the village as a local trader; you can do this by selecting a villager npc (shift+right click as this will make them the active sim), and then use the villager to 'add to active family' (thus removing the new merchant from merchant house to live as a playable villager).
Save your game as a new file.
Hope this helps. If this doesn't work for you then describe where this advice fails, at the problematic step.

Simmodder99's Mod Library

"Is there no welcome for the wicked?" -- Lord Magus Xavier of the Dark Wizards