Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 10th Sep 2010 at 10:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by missroxor
Quick quiery just in case I do get an entry in (apparently my guests don't arrive until 5th so I'd be cutting it fine and hoping there's no delays but should manage to join the contest): For the purposes of this round does contemporary and modern mean the same thing? I've found some nice houses that are listed under modern but not in contemporary though I don't know what the difference is, I thought they meant the same thing

Yours is similar to mine, which is listed as contemporary, so I guess they're the same?

Excuse me, but I just have to explode.
Advertisement
Instructor
#27 Old 10th Sep 2010 at 3:13 PM
Many times the terms "Modern" and "Contemporary" are used interchangeably.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#28 Old 10th Sep 2010 at 4:29 PM Last edited by LifesLover : 10th Sep 2010 at 7:56 PM.
In this case, modern and contemporary are one and the same. I have no objections to your plan, missroxor, and you're allowed to use it. At this time, with five rounds, we'd go over the deadline beeps set us. I might have to just cut it out entirely. But do not worry, I won't mind if you have to drop out. I only used Contemporary so I could use alliteration and I like contemporary more.

[you say you believe me but you don't deceive me]
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#29 Old 10th Sep 2010 at 8:02 PM
Hey, guys, we have six plans reserved for the contest! We need at least four more to continue, so get looking at those plans, send them into me so I can put them on the plan list and promote the contest please!

If I missed anyone, please tell me so that I can get you on the list!

The other one
#30 Old 11th Sep 2010 at 8:59 AM
I've gone a bit CC crazy and I haven't even started decorating. What happens if you use more than 10 bits of CC? I know I'd lose the 10 points but after that....is there an additional point deduction or is it capped at 10?

Guys, rules are good! Rules help control the fun. ~ Monica E. Geller
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#31 Old 11th Sep 2010 at 4:05 PM
Honestly, I haven't thought about it. There will probably be an additional point deduction, since you're supposed to be capped at 10. How do you have over 10 CC and you haven't even started to decorate? Not every individual piece adds to the CC score, though, so maybe you don't have as much as you think you do. Say, like, you use a CC window. Well, that window will only be counted once, even if you use it 24 times on the house. A CC terrain paint would also only be counted once, even if you have it everywhere on the lot. Store content does not count as CC.

Field Researcher
#32 Old 11th Sep 2010 at 5:39 PM Last edited by sandymdh : 20th Sep 2010 at 8:29 PM. Reason: Finishing Touches
OK So here is my entry. It's been a real challenge!
This house was listed under contemporary. It has some ranch style and meditteranean features. I kept the decor to warm neutral colours with some lighter blues and greens.The furnishings are mainly pine wood with some modern accessories. It boasts 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, a pool, games room, study and beautiful garden. First here is the picture of the front on the plans.

and here is my house

Street View

First Floor

Ground Floor

Lounge

Bedroom (the room with the pattern)

Bathroom

Kitchen

Family Room

Garden and pool

Games Room
[IMG]

I have used 9 pieces and loads of store items.
Instructor
#33 Old 11th Sep 2010 at 5:51 PM
@sandymdh: We do need to see the layout of your plan in addition to the front view.
Field Researcher
#34 Old 11th Sep 2010 at 5:54 PM
do you want me to just add the link to the entry or actually put the pictures on there?
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#35 Old 11th Sep 2010 at 6:46 PM
Wonderful entry. Just add a link if you don't want to deal with putting the rest of the plans up.

And yes, you have to say that you used CC, although you don't need to list the exact CC you used unless you want to or another contestant asks. If you do not say that you used CC or that you didn't, we'll assume that you did.

You seem to be missing pictures, though, sandymdh, including a required one. You need to have a picture of the kitchen, required, and you have two extra bonus pics that you can use if you'd so like. I'd suggest using all of the pictures you can in order to give us the best, most accurate view of your house. I love the pattern that you used for the bathroom tile. Where is it in CAST or is it a CC?

Yay, the first entry! Let's see some more people. The deadline for this round is on Tuesday! If we do not fill up the required amount of contestants, then I'll extend it for another week until we do. Otherwise, the contest will close.

Field Researcher
#36 Old 11th Sep 2010 at 7:12 PM
OK will add more before Tuesday. It is amazingly a base game pattern under 'tiles' - I've recoloured it as it should be a bright green and orange colour. The only pattern that was my own was the one in the lounge.
The other one
#37 Old 11th Sep 2010 at 11:00 PM
Sandy, I was gonna ask about that lounge paint, it's beautiful. Really makes me think I ought to get my ass in gear and check out that pattern maker! Your house is huge! Must've taken ages to build.

Quote: Originally posted by LifesLover
Honestly, I haven't thought about it. There will probably be an additional point deduction, since you're supposed to be capped at 10. How do you have over 10 CC and you haven't even started to decorate? Not every individual piece adds to the CC score, though, so maybe you don't have as much as you think you do. Say, like, you use a CC window. Well, that window will only be counted once, even if you use it 24 times on the house. A CC terrain paint would also only be counted once, even if you have it everywhere on the lot. Store content does not count as CC.

No, really well I haven't counted yet but I'm using Hudy777' segmented modern windows, I think I've used about 4 different segments bit my windows are now almost exactly like the plans so I'm not changing them. I've also used blue tinted glass flooring for the canopy, decorative glass panels and a custom column to make the sliding/folding doors....that's 7 already and I've just started decorating the kitchen which is almost entirely CC

Obviously I'm extremely biased but I think you should cap the point deduction at 10 so if people use a butt load of CC then they just have to accept a 10 point deduction It's quite difficult to make an exact replica with only EA stuff (even with store stuff).

I'm surprised more people haven't joined, I expected to see more people from the foundations social group

Guys, rules are good! Rules help control the fun. ~ Monica E. Geller
Test Subject
#38 Old 12th Sep 2010 at 12:14 AM Last edited by serraphinn : 12th Sep 2010 at 4:27 AM. Reason: Flipping the layout view.
Default My entry
I'm kinda nervous to post this after seeing the other house... but here goes:

The plan I used was this one: http://www.thehousedesigners.com/pl...sp?PlanNum=6545

It looks like this:

Here's my version:

And the floor plan:

And mine:

The master bedroom:

The main bathroom:

The kitchen:

The living room:

The room with the pattern:

But you can see the patten more clearly here:

Here's the dining room:

And last but not least the backyard:

I only used 1 piece of custom content and that's the windows I used throughout. It can be downloaded here from TSR.

I hope you guys like my entry
Top Secret Researcher
#39 Old 12th Sep 2010 at 12:29 AM
Good luck to all the contestants Great entries so far.

TS3 aliens? Finally! Now give us OFB and proper apartments, damnit! - EA, you are breaking my heart. - I give up.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#40 Old 12th Sep 2010 at 3:11 AM
Wonderful job. Well, missroxor, that is a lot of CC. The reason I gave 10 pieces was so that people could have some leniency with the plan and not lose too many points. Obviously, there has to be some penalty for going over the 10 piece cap, since that is part of the rules. The easiest thing would be to deduct a few points from the total score for the overage, but I don't really want to take away points. I might make it so that you can't participate in a bonus category in another round, but that takes away points, too, and your free will to choose whether or not you want to participate in the category. I will have to ask my judges and think of what to do. In the end, we may not penalize it.

Great job, serraphinn. Your entry seems to be in order and I will add you to the contestants list.

That's 2 down, just need 8 more!

I don't know why more people haven't been interested. It might be that I made it too hard or this is just a bad time for most people. Please try and advertise. LOL, I've even been posting more in the discussion areas in order to show it off on my signature, but if people aren't interested than they're just not interested.

There's a little less than three days left to get your Round One entries in! I can't wait to see everything else! Good luck to all of the contestants!

Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
#41 Old 12th Sep 2010 at 3:59 AM
Congratulations to both of you who already have your entries in. I know it must have been a task to get everything together so quickly. Just as a suggestion: I feel it would be easiest for me (and others) to view the actual floorplans and yours if they are rotated the same way. I know you don't have to and it wouldn't be a point deduction (unless Lifeslover states they need to be the same) but it just would be SO much easier to compare! I know...I am lazy.

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Instructor
#42 Old 12th Sep 2010 at 4:19 AM
I agree with heaven_sent_8_18. It would make things easier for us judges if the floor plan pic was posted with the entry. Also showing your layout pic in the same orientation as the floor plan would make things easier and show off just how close you got your house. But all of this is lifeLovers call.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#43 Old 12th Sep 2010 at 4:20 AM
No, there's no need for a point deduction on it, although I do agree, it would be much easier if the plans were rotated the same way. I meant to make mention of it in my last post, but I must've forgotten.

Lab Assistant
#44 Old 12th Sep 2010 at 7:53 AM
Ok, I'm intrigued! I'll try this out!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#45 Old 12th Sep 2010 at 8:13 AM
Great! Send me a link to your plan once you've picked it and I'll add it to the list. Once you post your entry, I'll add you as a contestant.

Lab Assistant
#46 Old 12th Sep 2010 at 10:35 PM
I think I have the frame up, had a battle between two sizes, but I think the larger is better, at least it gives more room to work with. Now to decorate.

One question, my plan does not have a garage, but in one of the pictures of it, it shows "optional garage," which is linked to the plan, and I have built the garage, but I was wondering if I could include it, or if it needs to be excluded.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#47 Old 12th Sep 2010 at 11:34 PM
Well, you're to build what's in the plan, including anything that's mentioned. If there's an optional garage, then it's up to you whether or not you want to build it and include it. You can do either one, I don't mind.

Test Subject
#48 Old 13th Sep 2010 at 1:21 AM Last edited by GloamingMerle : 13th Sep 2010 at 1:35 AM.
Oh my gosh.. I JUST noticed this contest today. *facepalm* Anywho, this looks like great fun, so here's my floorplan choice: http://www.floorplans.com/plan-deta...vertical-design

The 1st floor pic is kinda stupidly small, but I really fell in love with the overall design.

Edit: Oh, never mind.. The picture size won't be a problem. Once I saved it and opened the file it came out MUCH bigger than it was on the website for some reason. :D
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#49 Old 13th Sep 2010 at 1:34 AM
Yay, it's great to have you join! I'll put your plan on the list. The deadline is Tuesday at 11:00 am eastern usa time.

Lab Assistant
#50 Old 13th Sep 2010 at 8:34 AM Last edited by Dragonball161 : 14th Sep 2010 at 8:06 AM.
Default Application Round Entry - Dragonball161
I have chosen to do a very modern, and relatively small house for this round. I got the wall, floor, and ceiling colors from the PLANS, as well as some of the furniture. No custom content has been used, asides from the allowed store content.

Here are the house plans with the overview screenshots:

Peggy Lavender and her partner are the testers for this house, which seems to be fully functional, except for the master closet. From the street, you notice the modern design, flat roof, and modern potted plants. Looking face-on, one will notice that he can look straight through the house to see the back porch, or the light house across the bay. The wood paneling on the side flows near-seamlessly into the decking of the front porch and walkway.

Walking into the front door, one is immediately greeted by a surprisingly large-feeling living room considering the home is only five-tiles wide. The furnishings continue the modern theme from the outside, inside.

Next is the kitchen, although it is all the same in this open-floor-plan home. While small, the kitchen has plenty of storage, as well as the best appliances, including a trash compactor.

Both bathrooms are just off the kitchen, one's a half-bath, and the other is this full-bath, complete with a shower-tub. Additional nick-knacks help with storage issues under the sink.

The upper level consists of two rooms, one of which is a second bedroom and study. The wall of windows into the hallway helps this tiny room feel larger than it is.

The other room on the upper level is the master bedroom. Keeping with the modern theme, the hallway flows into it without a door. An interesting windowed closet helps with the openness of the room, which shows off an intricate pattern throughout, including the head-rests of the chairs to sip morning coffee in, and the statue that adds character to the corner of the closet.

Going back downstairs, one can go out the back door and see the beautiful deck that once again feels as if it flows from the wall onto the ground. The lounge chairs add for a nice resting place, while a large table (featured in the plans) offers a nice outdoor dining room.

Finally, we have some concept art as comparisons for what the designer thought the front and rear should look like.

I have made the changes mentioned, and added some more pictures. I have the required pictures, highlighting their key-words in my little tour-text, and the bonus pictures are the bedroom/study, the back, and the collage of concept art.

Page 2 of 19