Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Nov 2011 at 11:36 PM
Default "Write a Novel" stuck in a loop
I have all the expansions up to Free Time.

I started a new family today, clean (no mods / cheats to boost stats). I noticed that "Write a Novel" was available on the computer from the get-go and told the Sim to have at it. I was charmed by the "plot device" flowchart -- that must have been added in Free Time?

Once I finished the novel, I had 2 Creativity points. The phone rang immediately and said the book wasn't selling well and here was my ~$1,000. Fine. I sat the Sim down and told her to write ANOTHER novel.

Almost IMMEDIATELY, the "Looks like SIM has finished writing the novel, hope it sells well," notice popped up. And the phone rang and I got another $1,000 check. I repeated this three times.

Free money, yay, I guess. But I really wanted to start a new novel. Has anyone else seen this? Help appreciated.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 23rd Nov 2011 at 12:34 AM
I've never seen that, no, but I suspect it's due to you having the sim start another immediately.

The new novel system with FT includes the delivery of a hard copy of the finished book, so perhaps the game doesn't consider the novel to be truly complete until that has happened. A delivery person should bring the hard copy by within a couple sim hours, iirc, and I bet your sim will be able to start a new one afterward.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Nov 2011 at 1:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Darby
I've never seen that, no, but I suspect it's due to you having the sim start another immediately.

The new novel system with FT includes the delivery of a hard copy of the finished book, so perhaps the game doesn't consider the novel to be truly complete until that has happened. A delivery person should bring the hard copy by within a couple sim hours, iirc, and I bet your sim will be able to start a new one afterward.

Thank you -- I'll try that. I *did* wait until the next day (since some things are reset at the midnight mark), but I didn't realize a hardcover was coming in the mail.

I'll report back.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 23rd Nov 2011 at 1:24 AM
Hm. Yes, please do report back. Sounds like something is a bit off.

It's been awhile since I had a sim write an FT novel, though. May take longer than I remember to get the hard copy. (I have a hack that reverts the novel routine back to pre-FT style. I got tired of having to choose the plot elements. )

ETA: Might want to delete your cache files, too.
http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...ete_Cache_Files
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd Nov 2011 at 2:27 AM
Well, I waited several days but no novel showed up in the mail.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 23rd Nov 2011 at 2:31 AM
Similar problem here:

http://www.gamespot.com/thesims2hob...6253&pid=943582

I *think* I have a novel progress bar mod, so I'll hunt for and remove that.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 23rd Nov 2011 at 3:16 AM
Ah, that did it. Novel Progress Bar mod. Disabling the mods earlier hadn't fixed the problem -- I had to actually root it out of the Downloads directory.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 23rd Nov 2011 at 4:07 AM
Ah, well there you go! Thanks for reporting back. That was good detective work.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#9 Old 23rd Nov 2011 at 7:02 AM
For future reference, disabling CC is totally unreliable - always. If you're testing a bug, cut and paste your Downloads folder somewhere else, as that's the only reliable method of ensuring that the game doesn't read them.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Locked thread | Locked by: julianarosalia Reason: solved