Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Jul 2005 at 11:15 PM
How to make a counter "SinkReady"?
Hi! I´m new here and I don`t know if there is a tutorial or something like this already here, but I need help to make my counters ready to be able to put a sink on it. I think you know the problem, that the Countertop is appearing through the sink.... how can I fix it?

Thanks for every kind of help:-)

DD :bump:
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 27th Jul 2005 at 1:03 PM
do you have move_objects on? I think thats what happens when you enable that cheat...not sure...

WOULD YOU LIKE TO DOWNLOAD SOME OF MY CREATIONS? I MY USERNAME ON TSR IS SOOBOOLOO :)
A hug is a great gift - one size fits all and its easy to exchange
<3 Sabrina
Forum Resident
#3 Old 27th Jul 2005 at 1:38 PM
Have you set the Global Data to CounterGlobals?
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 27th Jul 2005 at 2:11 PM
Replace your countertop with the original one and the sink will show up . You can of course change the shape but just don't map it again.
Original Poster
#5 Old 27th Jul 2005 at 5:33 PM
Thank you very much for your answeres! I will try to replace the countertop by the original one... but how exactly "set the Global Data to CounterGlobals" ?
The ModFather
retired moderator
#6 Old 27th Jul 2005 at 10:05 PM
The Global Data is a file within the package that tells the game the type of the object. Don't worry about it, though: if you have cloned a counter, the Global Data are already set to "CountersGlobals"

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Original Poster
#7 Old 28th Jul 2005 at 1:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
The Global Data is a file within the package that tells the game the type of the object. Don't worry about it, though: if you have cloned a counter, the Global Data are already set to "CountersGlobals"

ok, I clicken on that globalData, but it is still not "sinkable"....
The ModFather
retired moderator
#8 Old 28th Jul 2005 at 8:20 AM
I told you not to worry about that: the counter not being "sinkable" it's not due to the Global Data.
You should follow Tiggy's advice, I think she's right. Many modders had (and have) this problem, because the game seems to create the "hole" in the counter in a special and mostly unknown way...

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Original Poster
#9 Old 28th Jul 2005 at 9:22 AM
I told you not to worry about that: the counter not being "sinkable" it's not due to the Global Data.
You should follow Tiggy's advice, I think she's right. Many modders had (and have) this problem, because the game seems to create the "hole" in the counter in a special and mostly unknown way...

Ok, thank you very much! the problem is the my countertop has got adifferent UCmap, and when I put up the old one, the texture will be completle wrong.... But, now I know how to do it!

Thanks a lot! :D
Test Subject
#10 Old 25th Nov 2005 at 10:05 AM
I'am also trying to clone a counter, I keep the original top but my counter stays not sinkable .....

Which cloning options should you check for counters? maybe I made a mistake in the options ....

Also, do you use the Mesh Tool or just SimPE for re-import the new mesh ?

Many many thanks if you can help
The ModFather
retired moderator
#11 Old 26th Nov 2005 at 2:29 PM Last edited by Numenor : 26th Nov 2005 at 2:42 PM.
As long as you keep untouched the "countertop" mesh (i.e. you export, edit and re-import the "counterfinish" only), you can use any method: the MeshTool, the Milkshape plugins...

Please note that the GMDCs used when a sink is placed on the counter are the two "...NoDrawer" ones.

The default cloning options should be fine for cloning counters.

Part-time Hermit
#12 Old 26th Nov 2005 at 3:12 PM

The default cloning options should be fine for cloning counters.

Except that it seems that without the "stand-alone" option checked SimPE will only pull the dirty texture, not the clean one.
Test Subject
#13 Old 26th Nov 2005 at 3:52 PM
Many thanks for your reply Numeror, in fact, I found the problem ! I need to keep the counterfinish "empty" means nothing "in" the counter !
Now I have the problem with the uv mapping..... as my top counter doesn't look like as he should :banghead:
I don't know how to give him the right texture, if you have an idea will be so nice to let me know

:howdy:
The ModFather
retired moderator
#14 Old 27th Nov 2005 at 3:46 PM Last edited by Numenor : 27th Nov 2005 at 3:53 PM.
Xuan - I don't know what skills you have at UVmapping; start reading this article about UVmapping and, if you have specific questions about UVmapping, post there.

IgnorantBliss - Mmmhhh... That's a problem that must be solved...
You know, the "counter" actually is a group of different meshes: a main one that holds all the textures, and multiple "slave" ones, that borrow the textures from the main. If you check the "create stand-alone" option, all these slave objects won't be able any more to borrow the textures, because the tsMaterialsMeshName blocks in the GMNDs are "cleaned up" when the option is activated.

Therefore, until Quaxi doesn't find a solution, cloning a counter will always lead to non-working counters.

Test Subject
#15 Old 28th Nov 2005 at 9:59 AM
Many thanks for your reply, I found how to do it now :-))
Field Researcher
#16 Old 28th Nov 2005 at 6:28 PM
I'm so not brave enough to wade through a counter but this is something I'd wondered about for future reference - so is the trick basically to re-use the top surface from the original counter and just replace the design of the bottom?

www.parsimonious.org
Artists - Get your own Studio! Always be featured!
The ModFather
retired moderator
#17 Old 28th Nov 2005 at 6:47 PM
Currently, seems that SimPE has problems in cloning the counters, so there's no way to create a working counter. Unless you pull manually the missing TXMTs/TXTRs/LIFOs...

Part-time Hermit
#18 Old 28th Nov 2005 at 10:10 PM

[B

IgnorantBliss[/B] - Mmmhhh... That's a problem that must be solved...
You know, the "counter" actually is a group of different meshes: a main one that holds all the textures, and multiple "slave" ones, that borrow the textures from the main. If you check the "create stand-alone" option, all these slave objects won't be able any more to borrow the textures, because the tsMaterialsMeshName blocks in the GMNDs are "cleaned up" when the option is activated.

Therefore, until Quaxi doesn't find a solution, cloning a counter will always lead to non-working counters.

Ahh, thanks for the warning, so I won't need to frustrate myself with something I can't fix Hopefully this will be fixed in the future. I assume Quaxi has been informed?
Field Researcher
#19 Old 1st Dec 2005 at 1:04 AM
I'm glad I found this before imade myself crazy attempting the impossible. I'm commenting because I don't know how else to subscribe to the thread.
Test Subject
#20 Old 16th May 2006 at 8:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Tiggy027
Replace your countertop with the original one and the sink will show up . You can of course change the shape but just don't map it again.

Thank you so much for sharing this information! I had a notion that it was possible but had no idea that I shouldn't touch the UV of the counter top. My counters work with any sink now!