Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Mar 2011 at 8:53 PM
Default Making awesome hair textures
Usually the whole look of a hair depends how good hair texture is, if it looks crap so will the hair (unless the mesh itself is really bad then it doesn't matter ) What I want to ask here is that does anyone know good tutorials around internet (or tips) about making hair texture for hair mesh? I really like the style of Newsea, Anto, Peggy(sometimes). So I really wonder how do they make the texture, are they hand drawn? Do they use tools to make the lines of hairs so perfectly straigt, curvy and all that? If anyone knows anything about this subject I'd be happy to know so I can learn to make also great hair textures for my hair meshes.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 14th Mar 2011 at 12:42 AM
I think most people use a technique similar to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUGU...feature=related
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 21st Mar 2011 at 2:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by harryishere
I think most people use a technique similar to this

That is very rough way to do it, but it works in some cases.
You rather draw it yourself, as you would see what you think is the best to fit your taste.

For example, some people like more towards, EA, the texture having not much constrast neither bright.
Others more towards realistic looking, trying to recreate shine spots, those will give depth and are the ones I recommend, in my opinion, of course.

It's really a matter of how you like it to look like.
Try to make the texture Straight, then you can manipulate it using gizmos like one very used in Photoshop/GIMP, Wrap.
Or being more professional, Photoshop's Liquify tool.

Good luck!

“One small step for man, one blocked path for sim-kind.” - awtmk@blogspot | S-Club Privée
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 22nd Mar 2011 at 9:02 PM
Thanks, both of you !!
Test Subject
#5 Old 5th Jun 2011 at 6:31 PM
Does any of you know what the link to the mod that makes your SIms hair shiny texture?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#6 Old 5th Jun 2011 at 7:36 PM
I have no idea what mod you're talking about. I don't think such a thing exists.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#7 Old 5th Jun 2011 at 7:38 PM
It's possible to replace the speculars for hair to make them appear sort of shinier, but it would look more like someone wrapped the sim's hair in plastic wrap. Aikea Guinea has some very pretty default replacement hair textures that are more lifelike and less straw-like than the defaults, though.